Notices

Suzuki LT 500 quadzilla

Old 03-31-2008, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha......I have got a banshee for you to tackle with that 250 and its only 3 hours from you. The good thing about a banshee is the fact the aftermarket is so strong for them. They lead the competition by far when it comes to sand drags or even built for 1/4 mile track racing. Mine has 96 HP on 100 octane pump gas. My son who weighs significantly less than I do can turn low 6s consistent in the 1/8th mile. I can change it over to alcohol and it'd be a third of a second quicker and probably another 6-7 mph faster, but I'll stay on pump gas due to choice.

Chrome, its kinda hard to put a value on that quad with it being as good of shape as you say, I'd say $3K would be a deal if its mint and has good compression and over-all clean.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:25 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

I would just be a little bummed looking for parts for the LT500. Buy one for the collection? Hell yes. As my only bike? Hell no.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

zilla's and banshees both suck in the suspension department. the suzukis are limited in what you can do to fix that, the banshee's..you can fix the front easily enuff but the rear is another story. both are heavy by todays standards and are old technology. the quadzillas are also deceptive creatures, as it doesnt seem as your going fast, but you are. best bang for a used atv is the honda 250r, plus theres some really nice aftermaket cylinders available. the early zilla's had head gasket problems and the old suzuki frames were weak in general. if you do go with an older quad, leave about $2500 on the table..you will need it for shocks, a-arms etc. and the roll pegs make more of a difference than you can imagine. if you need more info, shoot me a pm, I was a backup rider/mechanic for the old team honda/dirtwheels team, hold several world atv endurance records, won the baja on an atv yada yada yada
Old 03-31-2008, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
Well, the 500 is with out a doubt the baddest quad still. Top end about 90+/- mph stock They will still out two-stroke power anything around....and 4 strokes. Been on a banshee? A little faster than that. I would still rather have a banshee....Newer technology. Looking for a banshee? There is a nice one forsale here with toomy pipes and bunch of other mods. Apears very will kept. Loan me the money and Ill buy it in a second and I ride bikes. Your not far chrome. Come get it.
Banshee newer technology? I believe the banshee is almost unchanged from what, 87? Its not much newer technology. Maybe a re-do sometime in the early 90's.. I'm not as up on quads as I am bikes.

Can-am DS looked awesome, saw it last summer at quad fest, cam-am guys said it was the first event they had it out at. Lots of technology in every aspect of it. How do you like it? My friend was on the fence about buying one, didn't want to put up the money on an unproven, non-warrantied quad.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:50 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Joe92GT
Banshee newer technology? I believe the banshee is almost unchanged from what, 87? Its not much newer technology. Maybe a re-do sometime in the early 90's.. I'm not as up on quads as I am bikes.

Can-am DS looked awesome, saw it last summer at quad fest, cam-am guys said it was the first event they had it out at. Lots of technology in every aspect of it. How do you like it? My friend was on the fence about buying one, didn't want to put up the money on an unproven, non-warrantied quad.
Well as far as two stroke quads go its top of the line.......they havent gone any other place accept 450 fourstrokes. But yes, it is still primitive. Lots and lots of aftermarket stuff for a banshee.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:45 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Don't forget the Banshee motor is out of the old RZ 350 street bike from the early 80's so use newer technology very loosely. Tell you friend the DS450X is awesome just buy one he won't regret it.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:42 PM
Registered

Default quadzilla

I have owned a 250R LT250 LT500 as far as the older quads go I would say for best all around performance the best is the 250R but none of the above can compete with the new 4stroke bikes
Old 03-31-2008, 11:00 PM
Registered

Quadzilla would be very cool just to own. I was at the local KTM dealer on Saturday checking out the 525XC. Man, that thing comes loaded to the hilt! RAZR tires, Ohlins suspension, Magura clutch and brakes, simply top notch stuff. I hope to buy one soon.

The Can Am is cool as well, but the KTM is crazy.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Registered

The stock banshee engine is a spin off of the RZ 350 yamaha street bike engine, not exactly the same. The RZ 350 had a power valve system good for a few more HP. The 250R honda quads were nice machines..........but have you priced one in good condition lately. I had one back in 1989 and search for them today, but the decent ones out there are fetching $5,000+, one sold last year on e-bay for $7500. Banshees can be made to handle as well, there is some decent suspension components out there, but its still not as far out in the field as some.......but it was never built to do that to begin with. This guy wanted to sand drags, and in the quad arena, a banshee can't be beat for sand drags, go look at the stats.