Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Weight Distributing hitch suggestions... >

Weight Distributing hitch suggestions...

Notices

Weight Distributing hitch suggestions...

Old 04-01-2008, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris; Definitely buy local and have them set it up for you. These things work great when they're set up right. If not it's just a big chunk of useless steel hanging off the back of your truck.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisf

1) Using WD hitches is not common and is a pain to use, so do it minimally as it is cumbersome with the hitch weight (100lbs.) and all.

2) Sounds to me with the complexity, I should bite the bullet and go with the Equalizer, which is designed for boats with surge brakes.

3) Also sounds like I should buy it from a local dealer who can custom fit it for me and make it work, as it is not as simple as pushing it in and securing the lock pin.
1. Not at all. Once set up it takes at most one more minute to connect the bars.

2. They all work with surge brakes. WD has zero effect in any way with the controller's operation.

3. Buying local gets you proper setup.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by chrisf
Thanks for the replies guys.

Here is what I learned from this thread.

1) Using WD hitches is not common and is a pain to use, so do it minimally as it is cumbersome with the hitch weight (100lbs.) and all.

2) Sounds to me with the complexity, I should bite the bullet and go with the Equalizer, which is designed for boats with surge brakes.

3) Also sounds like I should buy it from a local dealer who can custom fit it for me and make it work, as it is not as simple as pushing it in and securing the lock pin.

To answer your question, the TBSS tows 4000lbs with regular hitch, and up to 7200lbs. with a WD hitch. This info was taken off the tag in the back of the truck.

my assumptions:

232 = 3900lbs dry
Gear = 100lbs. (Boat is EMPTY, just USCG compliance gear.)
fuel = 630lbs. (full 70 gallons max)
trailer = 1250lbs. max lbs. I was told and through research

TOTAL equals 5880lbs. The weak spot is the assumption on trailer weight. I was told anywhere between 1000 and 1250 lbs. Sydwayz, you mentioned 1750lbs for the trailer, could you post where you got this detail? I have friends with triple axle trailers who think they weigh 1300 to 1500 lbs. I was told my Eagle is a heavy solid steel trailer and is 1250lbs., where as the Roadrunner is far flimsier.

Eithery way, sounds like the 272 is out, back to my truck being a ramp whore for it. Still interested in towing the 232 though...

Thanks for all the help...

Chris
The WD hitches make a HUGE difference when towing at or near capacity of the vehicle and are not at all a pain to use once set up. Also, companies tend to grossly underestimate the weight of their products for some reason (boats,trailers,etc.). I don't know why. The best bet is to weigh the whole setup once at a certified scale.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Registered

I read that WD bars have to be set exactly horizontal to the surge actuator to ensure there is no interference with the braking system on a surge brake set up.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nah- the chains hang the bars down. There's no way for the surge coupler to know where the bars are. The big thing is the bars have to be below the trailer's frame rail. The hitches are pretty adjustable. On my Excursion, I needed a longer drawbar to keep the head angle in a reasonable spot and not have the bar tips drag. The long bar was half the cost of the whole kit.
Old 04-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Z06
Registered

I use the Equalizer WD hitch and it works great with surge brakes. The bars need to be parallel to the trailer frame and put some grease on the trailer WD bar mounts, just like in the directions, allowing the bars to move freely during braking and turning.