Notices

Trucker Strike tonight !!

Old 04-01-2008, 06:35 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

What time is this starting?

My husband is hauling a boat today and I want him to be home and have the truck parked before this starts..... We Support!
Old 04-01-2008, 06:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DollaBill
First, what do you mean "be careful of overhead bridges" etc??? I would really like clarification of that. Maybe I'm way off, but it sounds threatening.

Historically, striking truckers have been fond of waiting on bridges and dropping objects onto still-operating "scab" truckers. Mostly a Teamster thing.

The trucking industry probably doesn't need too many more lost work days. There are more than a few rigs parked right now due to lack of loads. If you're an employee, you'll probably be driving. If you're my employee, you're driving or it's your last day. If you're a union employee, the only people that can call a strike is the union. If you're an independent, you probably need the $$- you'll be driving.

This noble endeavor might have more effect if it the goal was more clearly defined. Just like the "gas purchase" strikes, everyone will fill up the next day anyway.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Historically, striking truckers have been fond of waiting on bridges and dropping objects onto still-operating "scab" truckers. Mostly a Teamster thing.

The trucking industry probably doesn't need too many more lost work days. There are more than a few rigs parked right now due to lack of loads. If you're an employee, you'll probably be driving. If you're my employee, you're driving or it's your last day. If you're a union employee, the only people that can call a strike is the union. If you're an independent, you probably need the $$- you'll be driving.

This noble endeavor might have more effect if it the goal was more clearly defined. Just like the "gas purchase" strikes, everyone will fill up the next day anyway.
correct, while at UPS and we were on strike, it was about a contract, unfortunately this is only a solidarity protest and will most likely have some blow hard in Washington try to pipe up and win some support for himself...As someone said in an earlier post, they should look into the futures traders.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:01 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I saw someone drop something from a bridge it would be the last thing they ever held in their hands.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:09 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Some great responses and information in this thread. Things are rarely as simple and people would like you to think. The future-trading issue is potentially a big one. That "industry" doesn't seem to be much more than a hostile parasite on the oil market, but maybe I'm missing something. After all - they started and energy-futures market to stabilize that industry after the Enron debacle.

I just wish someone made 600 hp solar engines for boats.....
Old 04-01-2008, 07:10 AM
AKA "BAZOOKA JOE"
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stecz20
puzzy.....
Dave im leaving my 350 diesel home how about you i havent driven it in 2 months
Old 04-01-2008, 07:19 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

more than just the fuel price the independents are striking for. Cost of fuel low fuel sercharges to cover the cast and the same mile freight from 5 yrs ago still being paid. My brother is an indi and parked his rig for the fuel surcharge was .40 thru his company that was few weeks ago and low freight pay, and he hauls all medical goods and tech machines for hospitals.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:29 AM

That's purely a supply and demand issue. As things slow, truck availability rises. That means prices fall. As guys quit the business, availability will tighten and rates will rise.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Chris Sunkin;2508165]Price a bridge or a mile of highway. There's a shortfall between the amount of revenue collected to maintain our infrastructure and what it really costs. That's why bridges are collapsing.

No, spending on every thing else but bridges and roads. That is why, every bit of tax goes into general fund and mind you, we spend a bunch of money on tax for the roads.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:57 AM

You have a point there- many states are pilfering from infrastructure just to prop their house of cards up. Ohio is basically a shell. Business is leaving at a steady stream and new companies aren't looking here. Our state government keeps looking for ways to nickle and dime us to death with fees for everything. Not only is the state doing this, so are the cities. On top of that, they're looking to cash out of the revenue-deriving pieces of the infrastructure. The want to sell toll roads, water/sewer, etc. They claim they want to reinvest in the state- you know they'll piss it away keeping themselves in office and the average guy will pay the freight in the form of increased costs for services.

Quick Reply: Trucker Strike tonight !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.