Notices

Towing Capacity GMC 3500 Dually

Old 04-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have to belive that info would be in the owners manual. I know it is on my 05 ford dually. This would be very good info for you to have, because if you are towing 1 lb over the limit, and somthing happens you insurance company WILL NOT cover it. I know this from expience. I had an incedent a couple years ago. I was within the manufactures limits, but just barely, and the insurace company (GRANGE) tried hard to not pay.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Banned

just look to the sticker inside of the drivers door. all of the weight limits are printed right there
Old 04-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Madcow
I would have to belive that info would be in the owners manual. I know it is on my 05 ford dually. This would be very good info for you to have, because if you are towing 1 lb over the limit, and somthing happens you insurance company WILL NOT cover it. I know this from expience. I had an incedent a couple years ago. I was within the manufactures limits, but just barely, and the insurace company (GRANGE) tried hard to not pay.
Ford limits is very clearly stated.

Originally Posted by bgchuby01
just look to the sticker inside of the drivers door. all of the weight limits are printed right there
Not the max trailer weight without WD, not listed anywhere that I can find for GMC.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Registered

I just went out to my truck (08 ford f450). The hitch says 16k wd 8k otherwise. I tow a fountain 47 but with a gooseneck. It tows and stops great but to be legal, no 1 ton works without a wd setup on a conventional (tag) trailer. GM 3500 dually is rated at 12k weight distributing only. There is no way to get around this (hitch,airbags,etc.). Even the 450 needs wd to legally pull 16k. It also warns on the hitch and in the owners manual not to modify the hitch or replace it.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pookie
I just went out to my truck (08 ford f450). The hitch says 16k wd 8k otherwise. I tow a fountain 47 but with a gooseneck. It tows and stops great but to be legal, no 1 ton works without a wd setup on a conventional (tag) trailer. GM 3500 dually is rated at 12k weight distributing only. There is no way to get around this (hitch,airbags,etc.). Even the 450 needs wd to legally pull 16k. It also warns on the hitch and in the owners manual not to modify the hitch or replace it.
Ford actually publish the towing capacity with conventional setup (i.e. no WD) to be 15.000lbs for the 350 and 16000lbs for the 450. Your hitch, that is mounted aftermarked stuff, might not have the max limit of your truck. Your gooseneck trailer solves all problems legally since the limits are far higher with a gooseneck. I have just e-mailed Myco to get an input from them as well. Never thought it would be this hard to get legal... I also looked up the Nevada DMV regulations and there they state that i must have an additional rating on my DL to tow more than 10.000lbs. I don't want to show up there for a test unless I am 100% sure I am legally equiped. Looks to me as Ford is the way to go unless you want to put a WD on the boat trailer.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:02 PM
Registered

also, ford 450 ratings are higher in all categories until you get to the 6500 series kodiak. Weight distributing hitch is really easy once set up and to tow that weight without you'll need a 650 ford or 6500 kodiak or larger (pete or FL medium) with a pintle to be legal.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pookie
also, ford 450 ratings are higher in all categories until you get to the 6500 series kodiak. Weight distributing hitch is really easy once set up and to tow that weight without you'll need a 650 ford or 6500 kodiak or larger (pete or FL medium) with a pintle to be legal.
You might be right. That suggests that Myco is making trailers that can not be legally towed. My Myco is rated at 15.000lbs and has a 2-5/16" ball hook up... I'm lost... There is no way I will get 6500 to go to the lake or on my fishing trips... If I can make a 3500 / 350 / 450 legal, I will get one, if not - I'll just stick with the good old Sub...
Old 04-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Registered

my hitch is the ford factory hitch you're talking about.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Banned

california DOT says that if the trailer axels have the ability to haul over 10,000 lbs total even with the boat off of it then you need a CDL lisense to tow it. Now most calif hp will not hassel you for that but you never know.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Banned

Kim if you are in the las vegas area the nevada highway patrol are pretty easy with a personal truck and boat. I go in and out of boulder city with alot of customers boats and never have a problem. I leave the boulder airport with the 46 skater terrilble all the time without an oversize permit going south to I-40 east. If you are just going to tow local then a one ton will be fine. If you are going to travel cross country then a bigger truck may be the way to go.

Quick Reply: Towing Capacity GMC 3500 Dually

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.