Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Here's a 1980 Pete 359 that I'm considering... >

Here's a 1980 Pete 359 that I'm considering...

Notices

Here's a 1980 Pete 359 that I'm considering...

Old 04-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allfiredup
My bro just bought a 85 ext. hood classic 63" sleeper 320" wheelbase with a V-8 cat & 6&4 trans. (that's right 2 sticks baby). The motor had an in frame & trans. & rears re-done & I think he gave round 50k-60k. He told me in 4&4 (gears he can run right at a 100mph. He also gets about 6 mpg unless he is running hard (but he will go to jail if he runs that truck hard). Very nice ride I always wants a 359 classic & lower it & chop the top to pull my GTX I think that would be bada$$.
Didn't know cat made a v8 truck motor
Old 04-08-2008, 07:42 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by pookie
Didn't know cat made a v8 truck motor
yup, 3408, not many out there, most were in cabovers... they start at 450hp... we get BIG power out of them anybody got one with a KT600 Cummins?? Lend Lease used to run this package in cabover Pete's (362's??) you could always tell the KT setup because the exhaust stack came up thru the right rear of the sleeper roof...
Old 04-08-2008, 08:59 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Closing deal tomorrow. I grew up in the trucking business but we've always had day cabs. I drove a 1968 Autocar, single axle for years(still have it). I now have a son and haven't had to drive in years and I felt like it's time for him and I to take some trips. Our family vacation one year was going to Mobile , AL in a cabover Mack when I was his age (7). We drove all night and my dad parked in the parking lot of where the USS Alabama Battle Ship was. I'll never , ever forget the sun rising and seeing the outline of that ship from that old truck. My son and I will soon be making our trip to Mobile!
Old 04-08-2008, 09:09 PM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good Luck with the new toy.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:33 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Brian that is a beautiful truck. Congrats on the purchase.

I'd like to ask a few questions if you don't mind. We have been looking at freightliner SportChasis and they are $115K to $135K depending on how they are equiped and you have less truck and no sleeper.

You can buy a LOT of fuel for $60 to $70 K difference between one like you bought and a Sportchasis when you are only towing a boat 15k miles a year.

What does it cost to own one of these a year in terms of license, road taxes, etc?

How about insurance?

Is it a good option for towing a 13K pound boat or simply over kill?

With a class 8 rig are you required to stop at weight stations regardless?

What could you expect from one on wet, slick or steep ramps?

Any replies are appreciated.

Enjoy your rig.

Dock
Old 04-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Yes a twin screw big Pete would be overkill in my opinion. The only way I can make sense of this truck is we're already in the trucking business , I have full time mechanics , flatbeds , vans and I own a 48 state brokerage division. You could be savy though and find a super deal on a unique single axle tractor which would pull your boat w/ ease. Wet , slick ramps could be a problem. It would be worth shopping around and doing some homework though. I'm sure somebody will chime in and give some better facts. My insurance , tags , etc are all figured on about 75 pieces of equipment. For a single axle , pleasure " not for hire " truck , I think it would be really affordable.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
Brian that is a beautiful truck. Congrats on the purchase.

I'd like to ask a few questions if you don't mind. We have been looking at freightliner SportChasis and they are $115K to $135K depending on how they are equiped and you have less truck and no sleeper.

You can buy a LOT of fuel for $60 to $70 K difference between one like you bought and a Sportchasis when you are only towing a boat 15k miles a year.

What does it cost to own one of these a year in terms of license, road taxes, etc?

How about insurance?

Is it a good option for towing a 13K pound boat or simply over kill?

With a class 8 rig are you required to stop at weight stations regardless?

What could you expect from one on wet, slick or steep ramps?

Any replies are appreciated.

Enjoy your rig.

Dock
http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/d...AD9334A544D83A
Old 04-09-2008, 06:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
yup, 3408, not many out there, most were in cabovers... they start at 450hp... we get BIG power out of them anybody got one with a KT600 Cummins?? Lend Lease used to run this package in cabover Pete's (362's??) you could always tell the KT setup because the exhaust stack came up thru the right rear of the sleeper roof...

Kenworth used the KT series in their Gold Nugget editions, big power and NO fuel mileage(I had one) 4 to 5 mpg was about it, but it did fly. At the time I thought it was the coolest truck in the world with all of that copper/gold and black, and aluminum Alcoa's.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Thanks but that is not for me. They look like a UPS truck!

I appreciate your other reply as I was just thinking outload but really that would not make a lot of sense.

Enjoy the rig.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Registered

There is a guy in my town who has a Class 8 Volvo that he uses to tow his large fifth wheel. He had it singled, which was really cheap because the shop used the other axle and rear as part of the payment. He is 62 with a spotless driving record and has it licensed as an RV which costs $60 a year. His insurance is around $500 a year. This is dramatically less than plates and insurance for a Class 8.

Quick Reply: Here's a 1980 Pete 359 that I'm considering...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.