Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Chev 8,1 GAS or Dodge 5,9 Cummins diesel >

Chev 8,1 GAS or Dodge 5,9 Cummins diesel

Notices

Chev 8,1 GAS or Dodge 5,9 Cummins diesel

Old 04-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks,

it is difficult finding a dually here of newer age. A 2001 Ford F-350 is possible, but it is so "ruff". What about the Dodge dually?

I have had a GMC Sierra 3500 Big Dually (see attached pic) with the Duramax engine. That was VERY noisy when pulling hard. That is why I want either a 5,9 cummins or the gas option on a Chev/GMC.
Attached Thumbnails Chev 8,1 GAS or Dodge 5,9 Cummins diesel-dually.jpg  
Old 04-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Yamaha 225
Thanks,

it is difficult finding a dually here of newer age. A 2001 Ford F-350 is possible, but it is so "ruff". What about the Dodge dually?

I have had a GMC Sierra 3500 Big Dually (see attached pic) with the Duramax engine. That was VERY noisy when pulling hard. That is why I want either a 5,9 cummins or the gas option on a Chev/GMC.
A duramax that was louder than a cummins?????? My dad has a cummins and that thing is noisey, and it is stock. A duramax is known for being a quieter diesel. I work at a GM dealership, and customers only have one complaint about the 8.1, that being fuel milage.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BGIII
I have an 2003 8.1 Yukon XL 2500 and a 2003 Dodge 2500 CTD 2500. The 8.1 is not a slug at all. I never towed the boat with the Dodge but I can say that everything about the truck except the engine is a complete piece of ****t. If you tow for a living, a diesel is probably the best choice, but I could never recommend a Mopar.
A Cummins is not a Mopar, FYI.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Registered

I have an 2003 8.1 Yukon XL 2500 and a 2003 Dodge 2500 CTD 2500. The 8.1 is not a slug at all. I never towed the boat with the Dodge but I can say that everything about the truck except the engine is a complete piece of ****t. If you tow for a living, a diesel is probably the best choice, but I could never recommend a Mopar.
What kind of issues have you had with your cummins? I did a ton of research before I bought a diesel truck. To be quite honest, I prefer ford trucks for their styling and interior, GM/Chevy's ride quality...but hands down it was a Dodge for the cummins motor. There are some things I do not care for about the truck itself..but the cummins is a bad ass motor!!
Old 04-17-2008, 01:00 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

In the used truck around 2001/2002 year I would look for
1/ 7.3 Ford diesel,.
2/ 5.9 Cummins diesel
3/ v-10 Ford gasser
4/ Duramax or 8.1 gasser

Based on what I have read and heard

Last edited by Wobble; 04-17-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:18 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
A Cummins is not a Mopar, FYI.
I realize that, but it comes in a Mopar wrapper that is a piece of chit.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamboater
What kind of issues have you had with your cummins? I did a ton of research before I bought a diesel truck. To be quite honest, I prefer ford trucks for their styling and interior, GM/Chevy's ride quality...but hands down it was a Dodge for the cummins motor. There are some things I do not care for about the truck itself..but the cummins is a bad ass motor!!
In all honesty, pretty much everything in the drivetrain except the engine has been rebuilt or replaced, some things several times; transmission, brakes, u-joints, air conditioning, axles, rust, steering box, lift pump and on and on. Complete POS!. The truck does well on fuel, beyond that it has been a huge lemon.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

I realize that, but it comes in a Mopar wrapper that is a piece of chit.
They are all piece's of chit...just choose your diesel american brand.. Some tow better than others, some have more hp but not the best chasis. Take your pic, grab a quarter, do the process of elimination.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:55 AM
Registered

I will give credit when it is due, the cummins is a great motor. What good is a good motor when the trans is weak behind the cummins. At least with the duramax you get a good engine with a bad azz transmission. The 7.3 powerstroke was a reliable strong package, but the milage wasnt the greatest. It is all a mater of preference in my opinion. They will all get the job done.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Registered

In all honesty, pretty much everything in the drivetrain except the engine has been rebuilt or replaced, some things several times; transmission, brakes, u-joints, air conditioning, axles, rust, steering box, lift pump and on and on. Complete POS!. The truck does well on fuel, beyond that it has been a huge lemon.
I'm going to have to be honest with you, you seriously have to be the only one I've heard of that has not liked their Dodge Cummins. I have heard of transmission issues, none major, but if anything is wrong with those, thats usually it. Its very suprising to hear of so many issues with that truck. I personally, own three Ford Excursions, two with 7.3's and one with a 6.0. I have not had one issue with any of them. One of my 7.3's has 450,000 on it, still has the original tranny. My other one has almost 200,000 on it, and same thing. The 6.0 has almost 100k on it, and no problems. (knock on wood) They have been very good trucks and we use them for they are to be used for, towing and hauling all the time. Anyways, not that you really cared, but figured I'd give my .02.

Quick Reply: Chev 8,1 GAS or Dodge 5,9 Cummins diesel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.