Notices

Trailer bearing questions

Old 05-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trailer bearing questions

I have been debating on going to the oil bath system and was wondering what the pros and cons are.

I trailer about 40miles each way to get to the lake or the bay and most of my boating is n salt water. The reason i have been thinking about this is i am tired of the grease slinging all over the wheels and having to put grease in them on the way to the launch and back home. I checked everything and the bearings are fine and seals still intact.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard that oil bath hubs don't like to be dunked. Not sure why- I know they run nice and cool and the saels are substantial. The oil isn't really water resistand like a good silicone wheel bearing grease is.

You might call Myco and ask- their big custom trailers often have them.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering the salt, I'd say stay away from oil bath unless everything is galvanized. The oil bath hubs I've seen weren't on galv hubs.

Why is grease slinging all over the place? You need new rubber plugs, bearing buddies, or perhaps a set of these:
http://www.airtighthubs.com/products-SS.php
Old 05-21-2008, 03:58 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

I sell bearings for a living and OIL is far superior to grease any day and I would switch over on my trailer if they made a kit to fit but I have not ever found one for the heavy axles on the Myco.

As mentioned you should consider the construction of the components if you are dunking into salt water for sure.

That said I have towed trailer 100,000 miles with grease packed wheels and NEVER had a failure. With just simple routine maintenance and grease lubrication will keep you trucking for many a mile.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.southwestwheel.com/store/...olube-kit.aspx
Old 05-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Banned

If you have grease coming out after 40 miles the only thing possible is that you have too much grease in the bearing and when it heats up it is spitting out the excess grease.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:32 PM
Charter Member#1545
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
I've heard that oil bath hubs don't like to be dunked. Not sure why- I know they run nice and cool and the saels are substantial. The oil isn't really water resistand like a good silicone wheel bearing grease is.

You might call Myco and ask- their big custom trailers often have them.
The oil bath systems tend to take on water when submerged. We tried numerous times and can not get them to seal. The oil turns milky and well, you know the rest.

Sam
Old 05-21-2008, 09:07 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bgchuby01
If you have grease coming out after 40 miles the only thing possible is that you have too much grease in the bearing and when it heats up it is spitting out the excess grease.
Yep. And why does everyone feel the need to grease their bearings everytime they pull the trailer? Is that grease magically dissappearing?
Old 05-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
I sell bearings for a living and OIL is far superior to grease any day and I would switch over on my trailer if they made a kit to fit but I have not ever found one for the heavy axles on the Myco.

As mentioned you should consider the construction of the components if you are dunking into salt water for sure.

That said I have towed trailer 100,000 miles with grease packed wheels and NEVER had a failure. With just simple routine maintenance and grease lubrication will keep you trucking for many a mile.
I have never had a failure but i am tired of having greasy rims.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by handfulz28
Considering the salt, I'd say stay away from oil bath unless everything is galvanized. The oil bath hubs I've seen weren't on galv hubs.

Why is grease slinging all over the place? You need new rubber plugs, bearing buddies, or perhaps a set of these:
http://www.airtighthubs.com/products-SS.php
I chedcked all the bearings and repacked at the start of season. also replaced all the bearing buddies and gave all of them 2 pumps of grease. Still slings grease.

Quick Reply: Trailer bearing questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.