Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
thinking about a new car what do ya think >

thinking about a new car what do ya think

Notices

thinking about a new car what do ya think

Old 06-02-2008, 02:48 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi S4 Avant......hauls the mail, and the wife+kids+dog.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:56 PM
S-S
Gold Member
Gold Member

just what i was hoping for good information i am all over the place because i dont have any experience with the foreign cars . i have the 4x4 truck covered an 07 ford and the hot rod i have a 1992 mustang coupe 10 sec car that i never use and a 55 chevy in the works . ya criss there are alot of kids in mustangs and i am way past that age my grand kids will be wanting my mustang in a few years . i did not know that the Porsche is a high maintenance car i know parts would not be cheap or labor but if it is going to need to be in the shop more than normal thats not for me i want driver .i was going to include the zo6 and it is something i mite go for i have driven a few of them 03 cobra is nice a friend has one kenny bell on it and a tune with drag radials it runs 11.20 and the gt 500 i have driven a few of them also but stock they are not that fast they need gears and a tune . but have not driven the Porsche i have driven an a4 a friends i am not sure about the m3 maybe i know people that have them like em. i dont think i can get in a amg for under 50 ? i am going to go out and drive these like you guys said thats why i asked because you guys can give me the jump on this
Old 06-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Steve_H

there are plenty of used amg's under 50k. lucky strike can probably hook you up.

Old 06-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ar15meister
...If you want to buy something cool and cheap and save for the next boat buy a used 2003-2004 Vette Z06 and just have fun with it. You wont lose too much on it and it is a kickass vehicle and looks great/sounds great. They are suprisingly livable too even as a daily driver.

But if you live in a cold climate---buy a P/U (1999-2003 American made whatever--no japanese trucks) and then buy yourself a hotrod like the aformentioned Vette ...
I agree.
Old 06-02-2008, 03:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been seriously looking at the AMG's myself- it's alot of bang for ther buck. At the same time, every time I see one, or any SL, it's got some "old guy" driving it. Since I'm pushing 50, I'm kind of age-conscious about what I'm driving. A Porsche or Corvette looks too "midlife crisis" and I'm thinking I may be 10 years too young for the SL.

If you think you might like a "stealth supercar", you should drive a BMW M5. Comfortable, room for friends and bags for an overnight and the speed/handling of a race car.

Not to scare you off on the Porsche, but it's not the daily driver that a Vette or BMW would be. They're much more reliable than in the past but still they're expensive to fix and maintain- and finding someone that knows what they're doing is half the battle. Not to say that BMW doesn't have its own challenges. My dealer's service department has their collective heads so far up their a$$es...
Old 06-02-2008, 04:02 PM
S-S
Gold Member
Gold Member

lol exactly i am pushing 60 that is reason i dont know much about the amg now that i have started looking at them they are nice
Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
I have been seriously looking at the AMG's myself- it's alot of bang for ther buck. At the same time, every time I see one, or any SL, it's got some "old guy" driving it. Since I'm pushing 50, I'm kind of age-conscious about what I'm driving. A Porsche or Corvette looks too "midlife crisis" and I'm thinking I may be 10 years too young for the SL.

If you think you might like a "stealth supercar", you should drive a BMW M5. Comfortable, room for friends and bags for an overnight and the speed/handling of a race car.

Not to scare you off on the Porsche, but it's not the daily driver that a Vette or BMW would be. They're much more reliable than in the past but still they're expensive to fix and maintain- and finding someone that knows what they're doing is half the battle. Not to say that BMW doesn't have its own challenges. My dealer's service department has their collective heads so far up their a$$es...
Old 06-02-2008, 04:14 PM
Steve_H

not all AMG's are ragtops. the E55 is a very comfortable 4 door sleeper and you can get in and out of it without being a contortionist...

Last edited by Steve_H; 06-02-2008 at 04:20 PM.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:23 PM
S-S
Gold Member
Gold Member

good point
Originally Posted by Steve_H
not all AMG's are ragtops. the E55 is a very comfortable 4 door sleeper and you can get in and out of it without being a contortionist...

Last edited by S-S; 06-02-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:29 PM
Registered

Q: The best car you can buy?
A: A new Mercedes.
Q: The second best car you buy?
A: A used Mercedes!

I can see Chris's point about old man style, but I very quicly changed my mind after getting an SL500 for my wife. It will go circles around most Corvettes and it will do it in style and comfort. If you like drifting or burnouts don't get them though, cause the traction system actually works and you will only be sitting at the finishing line waiting for your friends while they attempt to bring their highly modded Mustangs, Vettes, 911's.... around the track in the same time you did. The safety of a Mercedes is also second to none. If you are looking for outragious performance, try the 2003 (or newer) 600 biturbo - just try it.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

[QUOTE=Kims;2577404]Q: The best car you can buy?
A: A new Mercedes.
Q: The second best car you buy?
A: A used Mercedes!

Not any more. I have lemon lawed two in the past 5 years. 03 E500, 37 days in the shop in the first year (moldy a/c, dead electonics), 07 GL 320 CDI (two tow truck breakdowns in the first 30 days of ownership, 42 days in the shop, problems unknown/ car wouldn't run/ MBUSA replaced the car free of charge). New 07 has covered 26K miles in 12 months without a glitch.............YET!

MB's are trading on their past reliability, they are inferior to BMW/ Audi in my experience. I have owned two M3's and an Audi A8L that were flawless cars.

Quick Reply: thinking about a new car what do ya think

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.