Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Lots of questions about trailer hubs while on the road >

Lots of questions about trailer hubs while on the road

Notices

Lots of questions about trailer hubs while on the road

Old 08-11-2008, 03:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your taking a huge risk in my opinion. Just way too much can go wrong. Think of the liability and murpheys law if a tire files off and causes injury, damage or death. Why not just take a extra day off from work and have piece of mind? If the owner of this boat has the serial number of the trailer contact the manufacturer and they should be able to supply you with the part numbers. If that don't work find a marine/trailer supply store close by.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad bearing

It sounds like you have already made up your mind to buy the rig and start home. Listen to these guys and get the dam thing fixed before you head out on the road.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:39 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by cig1988
Your taking a huge risk in my opinion. Just way too much can go wrong. Think of the liability and murpheys law if a tire files off and causes injury, damage or death. Why not just take a extra day off from work and have piece of mind? If the owner of this boat has the serial number of the trailer contact the manufacturer and they should be able to supply you with the part numbers. If that don't work find a marine/trailer supply store close by.
I can't agree more...if it were me, I'd change my plans around to accomodate bearing inspection and repair (all of them). The dangers of being caught with a breakdown on a highway don't make the gamble worth it. Big bucks are at stake here between the truck, boat, trailer, all of them secondary to your saftey and those of your fellow motorists.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

You didn't mention bringing along a spare tire or two. If the boat has been sitting you can count on a bad tire or two along the way. You also never mentioned the distance you intend to pull. Going 3000 miles across the country or 300 miles across the state?
Old 08-11-2008, 01:39 PM
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member

have them replace 4 tires and 4 sets of bearings, it will add a year to your life just not having to worry about it for hours and hours on the road, b/c its not if one of those eight things will go wrong but when.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I carry enough spare parts and tools to fix just about anything on the road. I even have a spare spindle at home, but your not going to replace that on the side of the road with hand tools.

I have a AAA RV+ membership. They will take care of trailers if they break down. If your truck breaks down while towing, they send two trucks to tow you in.
Just checked into AAA RV Plus and they don't cover boat trailer issues unless you're in Minnesota or Iowa.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Name That Boat.com
Just checked into AAA RV Plus and they don't cover boat trailer issues unless you're in Minnesota or Iowa.

Hmmm ... that's not what their Web site says. I should get my upgrade papers this week. I'll see what they say.

Here's what the Web site says after putting in my Zip (not in Minn or Iowa).

Vehicles and services covered under Plus RV

Duel-rear-wheel campers/motor homes, motorcycles, travel trailers and boat trailers will be provided towing, extrication/recovery, and tire service.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

That's news to me. Thank you for checking. I will be all over them in a few minutes.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Both MDSmitty and I belong to AAA Mid-Atlantic (Region). They DO cover boat trailers when you have Plus RV membership. I just confirmed.

http://www.aaamidatlantic.com/
http://www.aaamidatlantic.com/CarDri...#anchor-plusrv

Also, check into Boat US' Trailering Club:

http://www.boatus.com/trailerclub/tatow_tr.asp
Old 08-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
You didn't mention bringing along a spare tire or two. If the boat has been sitting you can count on a bad tire or two along the way. You also never mentioned the distance you intend to pull. Going 3000 miles across the country or 300 miles across the state?
The boat hasn't been sitting. The owner doesn't remember the size and he is not at the boat's location to look, so I can't bring a spare. Supposedly they are in very good shape. I'll have to make that decision when I get there. However, there are 3 West Marine stores in the area, so at least I have a known source for replacements, and I can pick up a spare there when I start heading home. I've also plotted a few West Marines on my route. I carry a tire repair kit for nail holes. And there's always AAA as a last resort.

~950 miles.

In the short term, I don't have any plans to use the trailer again after this trip. The boat will be going in a boatel.

In the long term, I may use the trailer a maximum of twice annually for a 1/2 mile trip on 25MPH streets to the community boat ramp. (where the boat will be driven to my boat lift for the summer as soon as my community lifts its pier-replacement moratorium).

So I'm obviously a little reluctant to put a lot of money into the trailer unless it's absolutely necessary. From my research it looks like I could easily spend in excess of $1,000 on tires and bearing replacement. That's over a buck a mile ... or over 1/3 the cost of a new trailer. Instead I'd probably just tow it to a local marina and spend an extra thousand or so to have a flatbed transporter come pick it up and save me the stress of that long tow.

But I'll weigh all the information in this thread and elsewhere and apply it to the situation when I see what I've got when I get there.

Thanks again for the advice.

Quick Reply: Lots of questions about trailer hubs while on the road

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.