Notices

Advantages of a dually

Old 09-06-2008, 11:03 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Noth'n but DRW

We were just having this discussion on the Scarab forum.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...02#post2676402

As a 21 year veteran as an over the road driver you could say I have some experience pulling long trailers and heavy weight. I've had duallies since 1989 and I would never go back to Single rear wheels. A 3/4 ton with the right power will pull it providing the tranny can handle it in the long run if it's not set up with a towing package. That's where the similarities end. A 3/4 ton is still only rated for 7500 lbs verses a 1 ton at 10,000 lbs. Weight will take it's toll in the long run. Then there's the difference between channel and tubular frames and extra leafs to handle the weight and stabilize the ride. If you have to use load levelers on your hitch, you're just compensating for what the truck lacks in the first place. A 1 ton has heavier axles to handle the torque and larger brakes and bearings to disperse the heat generated from the torque and braking involved with heavier loads. Dual wheels distribute the weight on a wider stance, which eliminates most if not all side to side sway you get with some SRW set ups and keeps the tires run'n cooler.
Then there's the license factor. Some wanna be hard azz DOT cop recognizes an F250 or 2500 for what it is, pulling a boat of considerable size and bingo. He gets ya for not having the truck licensed for the weight ...sorry...that was the old truck driver in me coming out.
Attached Thumbnails Advantages of a dually-peterbilt-11.jpg   Advantages of a dually-peterbilt-3.jpg   Advantages of a dually-great-dane-785t-4.jpg  

Old 09-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Racerngr1
What is the advantage of having a dually over a srw truck.
It will help keep the OSO towing Nazi's from crawling up your azz.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GO4BROKE
Besides more rubber on the ground you usually get a bigger rear end, brakes, springs. I'll never own a srw truck again. I've had duallies since 2000. They really don't cost much more. Buy a big truck now, you won't have to upgrade later.

They will cost more in the beginnig, but being a specialty truck they hold their value a lot longer in the end. I've never lost my azz on a DRW like a SRW.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HayJay
It will help keep the OSO towing Nazi's from crawling up your azz.
Funny!
Old 09-08-2008, 06:21 PM
Registered
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

REMBER it is always better TO HAVE AND not NEED, then to NEED and NOt have !!! i have a F 350 Dually i thinks its the best, pulling our Top Gun !!
Old 09-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Ven
REMBER it is always better TO HAVE AND not NEED, then to NEED and NOt have !!! i have a F 350 Dually i thinks its the best, pulling our Top Gun !!
I second that
Old 09-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Registered

One of the other issues I have been thinking about is how much of a ***** it will be to use as a daily driver, which I was planning on with a SRW.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:35 PM
Registered

One of the other issues I have been thinking about is how much of a ***** it will be to use as a daily driver, which I was planning on with a SRW.
Naah...don't let the wide fenders intimidate ya. The first few days you'll think you're gonna hit everything in site, but you'll get over it. The only place you can't go is the car wash. I prefer to wash by hand so it never bothered me.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:59 AM
Registered

used to drive a dually utility body for work, with alot of weight, and no sway. For play i wanted a bad azz lookin new dually 4x4 but instead went srw f350 4x4. srw 4x4 wheels better, and makes it easiker towing a 17k lb 5th wheel through the sand. I bagged my truck and the sway is not a issue while towing. Jaime
Old 09-09-2008, 06:36 AM
Registered

Default Srw Vs Drw

FOR WHAT YOU HAVE RIGHT NOW SRW WILL BE PERFECT HOWEVER IF YOU EVER GO BIGGER IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO HAVE DRW FOR SAFETY

Quick Reply: Advantages of a dually

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.