Notices

2008 F-450 Project

Old 09-09-2008, 01:44 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 2008 F-450 Project

Ok, so I sold the Peterbilt and now I am left with only one truck that looks like every other white dually on the road. I have driven it totally stock for a year and a half now, so I figured that it was time for a change!

Like most of you, I like the challenge of a good project, so what the hell, here we go. I set out with the goal to make a truck that will stand out in the crowd on the street, go anywhere I want to go on the beach or at the farm and still be a functional tow rig. Well, here is what we have completed so far.

We installed a Pro Comp 6" suspension, but had to go to Kelderman for the steering components since it is a 450. We followed that with a set of 22" wheels wrapped in 37" Toyo mud terrains. Next to go was the factory air box under the hood and the factory exhaust. This is what we had at the end of the work day on Friday.
Attached Thumbnails 2008 F-450 Project-100_0836.jpg   2008 F-450 Project-100_0835.jpg   2008 F-450 Project-100_0834.jpg  

Last edited by Hot Duck; 09-09-2008 at 03:57 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The new rear tires stick out a bit so we will be installing wider, replacement rear fenders from Street Scene when the truck goes to the body shop. These fenders will look exactly like the factory fenders, just a little wider. Needless to say, we will be installing mud flaps as well.

The tires look tight, but they will fit in the wheel wells. We actually installed them for a sneak preview before adding the lift and they fit. I like the look of the new exhaust tip compared to the factory setup. Without the regen cycle and the DPF, the exhaust will stay nice and cool too. We also installed a larger intercooler to help keep the EGTs in check.
Attached Thumbnails 2008 F-450 Project-100_0830.jpg   2008 F-450 Project-100_0833.jpg   2008 F-450 Project-100_0832.jpg  

Last edited by Hot Duck; 09-09-2008 at 02:20 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Saturday was spent installing items that are out of sight. We installed a set of Firestone air bags in the rear with a compressor and wireless remote. This will keep the rear from sagging while towing. We also installed a second compressor and tank for on board air (air tools/tire inflation/etc) and for the Stuttertone air horns (fire truck sound). For those familiar with fire apparatus, we are using a pedal mounted inside the footwell by the hood release for the horns. A tap of the toe is all it'll take!
Old 09-09-2008, 02:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is sweet I have everything but the wheels to do mine. Almost the same setup. I am going with the fabtech they just came out with a kit with all the front end parts. What are you having to pay for the fenders I was checking into that as well. Seen chrome wheel had some for about $900. Looking good.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Today was spent rough fitting the bumpers. We got both hung, but still have some fitting to do tomorrow. We will be cutting holes in the rear bumper where the logos are now to flush mount reverse lights. We also have to drill holes tomorrow to mount the factory reverse sensors. Since we removed the spare tire and components, we will be using the hole meant for the spare tire crank to install a quick disconnect fitting for the on board air system. This will allow easy access when you need air for something.

Up front we need to finish fitting the bumper, mount the lights in the holes and also pre fit the winch (Warn 16.5). Once everything is how we want it, the bumpers will be removed and sent to the body shop to be painted white to match the truck. Oh yea, the grill shell will be painted white as well.
Attached Thumbnails 2008 F-450 Project-100_0843.jpg   2008 F-450 Project-100_0847.jpg   2008 F-450 Project-100_0848.jpg  

Old 09-09-2008, 02:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just recently did the amp research steps, and the billet grills for the side vent and painted white door handles. Cleaned it up quite a bit. Can't wait to see it done.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

We still have to fit the ram air hood, install the power inverter, install the rear fuel tank and install the water tank and pump in the bed. We're getting there one step at a time. I'll keep you posted.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by carter38
That is sweet I have everything but the wheels to do mine. Almost the same setup. I am going with the fabtech they just came out with a kit with all the front end parts. What are you having to pay for the fenders I was checking into that as well. Seen chrome wheel had some for about $900. Looking good.
The fenders from Chrome Wheels are a little cheaper, but I think the ones from Street Scene look more like the factory fenders and there is not much of a price difference. The fenders from Street Scene also come with new, wider fender inserts to line the wheel well just like they come from the factory.

I called Chrome Wheels twice when I was putting together the parts list and I got the impression that I was bothering them, so I ordered everything from other places. They were just real short with me on the phone. Maybe I got them on a couple of bad days.

Originally Posted by carter38
I just recently did the amp research steps, and the billet grills for the side vent and painted white door handles. Cleaned it up quite a bit. Can't wait to see it done.
Post some pics of yours if you get a chance. It's all in the details like that and I would love to see it as you build it.

Last edited by Hot Duck; 09-09-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 515 Posts

Will, are you getting the fenders that have the vents built into the front of them?

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.as...tfamilyid=6060

I like the looks of the vents on them.

I assume you are going to white out the mirrors and the door handles too. A nice set of clear clearance lights will also look sharp.

I look forward to seeing the finished truck.
Old 09-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guy at Chrome wheel is a DIK! I have bought two sets of wheels for 4500 GMC from him. He was the only guy I could find that had direct bolt 22.5's in that big goofy 8 lug pattern. If you ever get wheels from him, get the lug covers and hub covers somewhere else. Also the steel inners were not true.

Oh yea......the the truck looks awesome!! Do you have 4:88's? If so, it will finally be geared right and probably pick up a little on mileage.

Last edited by thunderusone; 09-09-2008 at 11:35 AM.

Quick Reply: 2008 F-450 Project

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.