Notices

Programers 08-09 Duramax

Old 12-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programers 08-09 Duramax

Has anyone put a performance programer on a 08 or 09 Duramax. If so, what results.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I'm running a quadzilla programmer w/4' aftermarket exhaust on my 08,it helps mileage by 10-15%,has more power then you can really use and overall I'm pretty happy. Now for the bad news-these trucks come with a 100,000 mile warranty which you essentially void once the programmer has rewritten the oem program. Guys will argue about the Magnus Moss act but the oem's have gotten wise to the damage a abused truck can have from the added power of a programmer and they will fight it tooth and nail on a warranty claim,you play -you pay. I did not know this when I bought my truck and modified it,it has never been a issue YET but I can imagine what a pia it could be. I have had 4 new duramaxes,a 02,04,06 and now this 08,never had a drivetrain warranty problem issue except one broken rear end and I hadn't modified that truck yet,Smitty
Old 12-23-2008, 12:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If you do modify your truck keep the hp settings below 90 hp especially when towing anything or drive like you have a eggshell under the gas pedal because you can exceeed what the stock trans can handle and damage it,Smitty
Old 12-23-2008, 07:46 AM
Registered

Thanks Smitty, I am now running an 04 with a Hypertec program set at 80 hp. I pull the boat (35 TG) and horse trailer, no problem. Drove a 09 yesterday seem to have plenty of power without a load. A lot of programers say Chevy can't tell if their chip has been installed and removed, is this true. Buddy
Old 12-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Registered

If the current calibration in the PCM is a GM calibration, it will be difficult to prove an aftermarket (non GM) calibration was in there at one time. It would be best to know some one in a service department to put your GM calibration back in if you use a programmer. Some dealers when they find the aftermarket calibration will void the engine warranty at that point even without an engine failure. Just a little FYI. Duramax engine repairs are very expensive and dealers don't want the extra warranty expense if the don't have to.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:51 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

First step is to cut the DPF out and straight pipe it. You need to get a PPE, Quadzilla race box, or an EFI live tune to turn off the DPF regeneration. Then, and only then, will you get real performance and real MPG.....good sound too.

My cousins BF has an 08 with the quad race box and 5" straight pipe.....very nice truck.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
First step is to cut the DPF out and straight pipe it. You need to get a PPE, Quadzilla race box, or an EFI live tune to turn off the DPF regeneration. Then, and only then, will you get real performance and real MPG.....good sound too.

My cousins BF has an 08 with the quad race box and 5" straight pipe.....very nice truck.
get rid of dpf and regen = night and day difference, and much better running engine. The emissions crap now is whats holding back all the new diesels.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:17 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo

Thats essentially what I did-bought a 4" 2006 exhaust (chassis were the samer as 08,they just changed the body) which eliminated the whole restrictive dpf/cat exhaust. My programmeris a quadzilla,I don't know if it's a "race" box though.
As far as leaving a footprint on the ecm,it stores 10 programming changes,once you deviate from stock it's going to store that change,you risk voiding your engine,transmission, axle warranty etc but thats the price you pay.
I had the hypertech programmer on my 04 and 06 trucks,it worked good but the quad is much more advanced and is one of the few that does dpf delete,Smitty