Notices

Need a new truck

Old 12-29-2008, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

I've put 60k miles on my 06 6.0 and I think I've had more than my share of problems with it. It has to go in now for a steering shaft bearing. My 04 was a total piece of crap. I just don't think any of these new trucks are worth buying and I really think I am going to move up to a medium duty truck.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts

I love my Duramax GMC dually, I have put 98,000 mile s on her with ZERO problems. I am selling it as I no longer transport boats for customers, and I have a new truck for work that I can pull my boat when needed. I would buy the Duramax/Allison combo again in a heartbeat, I had a 2002 and then this 2004.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boatfreak
I've put 60k miles on my 06 6.0 and I think I've had more than my share of problems with it. It has to go in now for a steering shaft bearing. My 04 was a total piece of crap. I just don't think any of these new trucks are worth buying and I really think I am going to move up to a medium duty truck.
Try towing your boat with a new f450 with the 6.4. It is really quiet and tows heavy boats well. I've towed my 47 Fountain with a lot of different trucks ranging all the way to class 8 and prefer the 450. It really is a personal preference but the 450 will be a lot more versatile than a medium conversion.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Just a little feedback:

03 GMC 2500 Crew Cab 2WD Duramax/allison- 130K miles (lots of city driving/ atleast 25K miles towing 32 Sunsation (8K lbs +/-).

Repair list:
106K water pump
112K pair of batteries
129K - power steering leaked reservoir dry, refilled can't find the leak or even a drip. 1K miles later it is still perfect level.

Two sets of Michelin LTX E loads. Truck has only had fluid/filter changes and still has FACTORY BRAKES (EVEN PADS). Never had a single warranty claim/ unscheduled stop/never a wrench under the hood!

Would I buy another? ABSOLUTELY!
Old 12-31-2008, 09:36 AM
rjr
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

None of the one ton PU's are rated to tow a 382 full of fuel and a steel trailer. Having said that my 08 F350 DRW 6.4 doesn't have any problems. I bought the F350 because the tow rating was 1000# or so better than the GM trucks and I didn't realize how heavy my boat was. An F450 is probably a better choice and will probably cause less hassles because it doesn't "Look" like a commercial truck. I am not sure but I think an F450 may need a CDL because of its tow rating. Any help on that one?
Old 12-31-2008, 11:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rjr
None of the one ton PU's are rated to tow a 382 full of fuel and a steel trailer. Having said that my 08 F350 DRW 6.4 doesn't have any problems. I bought the F350 because the tow rating was 1000# or so better than the GM trucks and I didn't realize how heavy my boat was. An F450 is probably a better choice and will probably cause less hassles because it doesn't "Look" like a commercial truck. I am not sure but I think an F450 may need a CDL because of its tow rating. Any help on that one?

Almost correct statement....The 06 F350 Dually I had with the Tow Boss pkg is rated to tow 18,800lbs,(so the Ford propaganda says),,I wouldn't think your rig could weigh that much,,,but hell,,I've been wrong before.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:55 PM
Registered

I have a CDL, because of my business. We have several dump trucks, and lowboy tractors.

I looked at the F450's, but they are geared down so low, you are always at high rpm's. I use my truck for work every day, drive approx 200-250 miles a day for work. I seem to have a heavy foot, and figured I would have the F450 redlined most of the time on the interstate.

Truck pulls my 382 just fine, but I know it is not safe. It is just not enough truck if I ever get in a bind to stop. I had a complete brake job done on the trailer, so it stops easily. If one day the trailer brakes fail, the truck will have a hard time stopping in a hurry.

Maybe I will go to a medium size truck for work every day, and just put a trailer hitch on my 389 Peterbuilt truck. I could unhook the lowboy on the weekends and use it to pull the Foumula. I think it would look pretty cool.

Its a 1994 379 classic peterbuilt with walk in sleeper. Black in color with 24.5 alcoas on it. We use it to pull a tri axle lowboy and gravel trailer.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:20 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mackattack
I have a CDL, because of my business. We have several dump trucks, and lowboy tractors.

I looked at the F450's, but they are geared down so low, you are always at high rpm's. I use my truck for work every day, drive approx 200-250 miles a day for work. I seem to have a heavy foot, and figured I would have the F450 redlined most of the time on the interstate.

Truck pulls my 382 just fine, but I know it is not safe. It is just not enough truck if I ever get in a bind to stop. I had a complete brake job done on the trailer, so it stops easily. If one day the trailer brakes fail, the truck will have a hard time stopping in a hurry.

Maybe I will go to a medium size truck for work every day, and just put a trailer hitch on my 389 Peterbuilt truck. I could unhook the lowboy on the weekends and use it to pull the Foumula. I think it would look pretty cool.

Its a 1994 379 classic peterbuilt with walk in sleeper. Black in color with 24.5 alcoas on it. We use it to pull a tri axle lowboy and gravel trailer.
I know a couple guys with the 08 dodges. A couple had problems with the polution system at first. All warranty issues. Dodge serviceman said they all had the problem. Now they all run fine. Don't know about the 09's. I have an older one and love the enigne.

All dodges come with 100K mile warranty on the cummins from the factory for free also.

I guess I am biased.

I would love to have a Pete to pull my stuff around with. Thought about replacing the dually several times with one because IT WOULD BE COOL.

Happy hunting.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:28 AM
Registered

When I bought my new truck in October, I looked at an F450 and with the 4:88 gears, it was turning damn near 3 grand at 70 with the factory height tires., Hell, with the 4:30's that were in my 06 F350 dually at 70 I was running 2450 rpms,one of the reasons I went to the taller tires and 19.5 wheels.
I love the older Conventional Petes, truly a classic looking large car, I had one for a few years.

Last edited by Slick02; 01-01-2009 at 06:34 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:52 PM
Registered

I know a guy who owns a trucking company and pulls his Formula with one of his Kenworth W900's. It looks great and pulls well but it's a rough ride for the boat. He has a lot of trouble parking at some of the launches because of the guys patroling the launch and lot.

Quick Reply: Need a new truck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.