Notices

Another Trailer Brake Situation

Old 01-13-2009, 06:52 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a salt water problem, but I switched over all 3 axels to straight electric on my old 377 scarab and it was awesome. I sure quit frying the brakes on my dually after that.

Guy that has it now doesn't have any problems either.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cigrocket
How much to go from drums to discs. Where should he buy from?? I know Kodiaks are on top, what are some less expensive options for him. Thanks
A couple of many, just google it. I've used Eastern before and no complaints.

http://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/ite...atus=0&Tp=&Bc=

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....categoryID=302
Old 01-14-2009, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my kit from www.trailerpartsdepot.com Kit came complete with EVERYTHING! Easy to install and was very pleased with results. Just my .02
Old 01-14-2009, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by plumbers crack
Thats a deal. I put a new set on my trailer and they worked for about 2 weeks in salt water.Now I have to buy 4 complete conversion kits and throw away my electric drums.The disc are the bestmy 2cents.
For sure disc brakes are the way to go. My point is it is expensive to do the conversion.
If I were a salt water boater, absolutely disc brakes are the way to go. So is an aluminum trailer, for salt water applications.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Do it right and which over to electric over hydraulic with all disk brakes on each axle.

It's a clean proven setup that cannot be beat. It works smoothly and will stop a train if you ask it to. You have brakes in reverse and you do NOT have brakes going down a long steep hill unless you want and need them.

It is worth the $$$.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
Do it right and which over to electric over hydraulic with all disk brakes on each axle.

It's a clean proven setup that cannot be beat. It works smoothly and will stop a train if you ask it to. You have brakes in reverse and you do NOT have brakes going down a long steep hill unless you want and need them.

It is worth the $$$.
You are right & I'm poor so that is why I went with full electric.
My next trailer will be a MYCO built the way I want!
Old 01-14-2009, 11:03 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
My next trailer will be a MYCO built the way I want!
I already have the new Myco with a brand new 36 sitting on it. What you waiting for?
Old 01-14-2009, 11:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dock Holiday
I already have the new Myco with a brand new 36 sitting on it. What you waiting for?
Someone with enough $$ to buy my 29.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Another issue that I think is overlooked alot....... brake shoes adjusted properly on drum setups.

My buddies have had elec drum brakes on their sled trailers. The several times I have pulled them, they werent worth $hit. Could hold the manual button down on my controller, and they would barely slow my truck down, almost not even noticeable.

Just got done putting new backing plates kits with new drums and bearings on my sled trailer. Electric Brakes on both axles, trailer weights about 7k lbs loaded, stops awesome! I actualy have to keep my controller turned down. Going down the road loaded I can easily lock all 4 trailer brakes by hitting the manual button on the controller.

I have electric brakes on my triple axle trailer that holds my 40FT formula. They work very well. I hate surge brakes!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Registered

I bought all the parts to convert my triple axle Manning from surge drum to Elec. over Hydralic.

Pump
Hoses
Breakaway kit
Battery box, w Battery
12" Kodiak Disc

All for $1750.00

That is cheap for the peace of mind knowing that I have the best control over my trailer.

Quick Reply: Another Trailer Brake Situation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.