Notices

EXCURSION for towing ??

Old 01-20-2009, 06:44 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Had an Ex towed a Cig 35 Cafe Racer fine.

Put Airbags on it to tow a Cig 42 Tiger and worked for small distances it was a little much for long trips however.
Attached Thumbnails EXCURSION for towing ??-1243excur_tig0.jpg   EXCURSION for towing ??-_03-setup.jpg  
Old 01-26-2009, 12:08 AM
Registered

Location: Ocean Pines, Maryland. Wish I was at MANGOS in MIAMI!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bought a Excursion 4 X4 Black limited with 7.3 liter Diesel. Pick it up next weekend in Florida!!

And thanks again to everyone for their advice and experience sharing. It was a huge help.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Enforcer2
Bought a Excursion 4 X4 Black limited with 7.3 liter Diesel. Pick it up next weekend in Florida!!

And thanks again to everyone for their advice and experience sharing. It was a huge help.
GOOD JOB ON THE 7.3. WOULDNT WANT A 6.0. WHAT YEAR, YOU NEED THE BD TRANS PAN +5.5QT AND TRANS TEMP GAUGE 1ST. THEN AFE COLD AIR INTAKE, 4 IN EXH. AND EDGE JUICE WITH ADD. WITH THE EGT DISPLAY BOOST AND ECT. REALLY WAKES TRUCK UP....
Old 01-26-2009, 09:27 AM
Registered

Congrats! The Excursion is a great vehicle! I had a 2004 with the 6.0 and luckily did not have any problems to 96K when I traded it in on an f450. I switched intakes, installed airbags, a frame rail compressor, and chip and that thing would tow anything;however, it has small brakes and the rear stability is limited. If you like projects, the best thing you could do is change the brakes and rear axle and switch to dually. I had a friend who had a black one and got black fiberglass dually fender flares and installed 19.5 aluminum wheels and commercial tires all around and it looked awesome.
From personal experience I lost a new rear tire (defect) while not towing. It blew out abruptly on the interstate and I almost lost it in heavy traffic. Even with the E rated tires you are at the mercy of one tire. The added assurance of dually rears is exponential, especially when towing a heavy boat long distances.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Registered

Thats sound cool, (dually) somew thing I may eventually do. I am definetly doing the performance mods That Donz 28 mentioned along with suspension and all black wheels.Theres a local mechanic who specializes in the mods for the diesels.

Magnaflow or Banks exhaust????? and whay chip

I wont be towing right away. I may take a few 2 hour trips to Annapolis but for now just towing around town so I can finish her.

Vehicle just made since overall for what I wanted. After researching the GCWR I am confident I am under the the allowable. Plenty of room for the family, diesel 4x4 and imho just an all around useable vehicle. (not an everday driver) Oh yeah it was either this or an H-2 or older converted H-1 topless just for play not tow. (Wife is happy I went with Excursion)............maybe next time!

My biggest issue is going to be trailer set up. Like one member added the weight of quads on bracket will play a factor (2 strokes) . I m going to have to really research this. My inital thought is a longer trailer to offset tongue weight. I did think about axle placement but something I am not sure of. Thsi will be the next topic on OSO !!!

And most improtantly a Midnight Express logo for the back window

I ll post some picts of it. (its a 2002 limited all black with tan leather 2 rows of captains chairs one bench and clean has 101K more mileage than what I wanted but from what I have been told thats just broken in....... it was an excellent deal)

Last edited by Enforcer2; 01-26-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Registered

Thumbs up

Congrats on your purchase, The 7.3 PS is a great engine easily capable of 250k with regular maint. I tow a 31 Chris Cat with no concerns,7 people and gear. These guys are steering you right, the EX springs are inverted in front and lighter with short blocks out back so it could go into a standard house garage door. The frame is an f350 so just upgrade the springs and there you go. rear sway bar(st on '04 up), wide wheels, 350 springs, Ford Severe Duty air box, exhaust and DP Tuner chip and You will be very impressed. Legal trailer weight is 12,500 according to my trailer hitch. Good Luck
Old 01-27-2009, 06:28 PM
Registered

Thanks Green card I appreciate the info
Old 01-28-2009, 06:43 AM
Registered

Thats sound cool, (dually) somew thing I may eventually do. I am definetly doing the performance mods That Donz 28 mentioned along with suspension and all black wheels.Theres a local mechanic who specializes in the mods for the diesels.

Magnaflow or Banks exhaust????? and whay chip

I wont be towing right away. I may take a few 2 hour trips to Annapolis but for now just towing around town so I can finish her.

Vehicle just made since overall for what I wanted. After researching the GCWR I am confident I am under the the allowable. Plenty of room for the family, diesel 4x4 and imho just an all around useable vehicle. (not an everday driver) Oh yeah it was either this or an H-2 or older converted H-1 topless just for play not tow. (Wife is happy I went with Excursion)............maybe next time!

My biggest issue is going to be trailer set up. Like one member added the weight of quads on bracket will play a factor (2 strokes) . I m going to have to really research this. My inital thought is a longer trailer to offset tongue weight. I did think about axle placement but something I am not sure of. Thsi will be the next topic on OSO !!!

And most improtantly a Midnight Express logo for the back window

I ll post some picts of it. (its a 2002 limited all black with tan leather 2 rows of captains chairs one bench and clean has 101K more mileage than what I wanted but from what I have been told thats just broken in....... it was an excellent deal)
If you want to call me and I'll tell you what I did to mine and what worked best but I have way to much stuff on my truck to list. just pm me. If you want a 2nd row bench I would gladly trade you mine for the 2 seats, you will be driving right my shop if you are taking 95 to Annap.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:59 PM
Registered

Cool, once I get back Ill contact u.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:11 AM
Registered

Take the guess work out of setting up your trailer, and order an aluminum Myco. They are expensive, but the only way to go.

Quick Reply: EXCURSION for towing ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.