Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Bigger Truck and weigh Stations? >

Bigger Truck and weigh Stations?

Notices

Bigger Truck and weigh Stations?

Old 02-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just pulled my 37 A/T from MD to MI at 75 MPH with a new duramax diesel allison trans 3500 silverado dually and got 12.7 MPG and had no issues pulling the load at all. I may ad a Banks six gun but dont really need it.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 27daytona
The commercial haulers could best answer this question. I can only relay my personal experience towing my boat and trailer that weights 17000 lbs and is 44 feet long. I tow with a 2004 Chevy Kodiak 5500 series Monroe pickup. I was ticketed for not having a CDL and not having a wide load permit. I was told that when you get over a 1 ton truck you fall into the world of big trucks, hence weight stations and log books, everything that goes with being a real life trucker. What a kick in the balls that was. I now have a CDL and an annual wide load permit for California, I purchase a temperary permit for any other states that I might travel through. I carry the wide load signs in my truck but seldom display them and do not stop at weight stations. I have all the correct and required stuff, the troopers can ticket me for not stopping at the scales or displaying the wide load signs but without the permits and CDL, they can park you until the permits are acquired and you hire a commercial driver. Check your state laws. You may find that truck weight and trailer length regulate whether or not a CDL is required. Oh yeah, the other negative with a CDL is your alchohol limit is 1/2 of a regular driver license, all the time, kind of limits your drinking. Now I can only drink one beer rather than two and drive anything, anytime. Hell, I pretty much now never drink anything if I'm driving anything, anywhere. I understand that California is the land of laws but with every state in financial trouble look for trucking laws to be enforced even closer. I don't fear the regular CHP but do hold my breath when I see a Commercial Highway Patrol Truck. The big haulers look cool and pull nice but if your boat and trailers fall into the capacity of a one ton dually, stay in that world. The big truck world gets pretty costly, I wince everytime I think of the B.S. that I go through just to pull a boat. Good luck, and hope this helps. Doug
Driving the truck with a CDL is "zero tolerance". .04 applies only to driving a car while holding a CDL.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Fountain 47sc, You are are correct on the zero tolerance. Thanks for clearing that up. Doug