Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Positioning of the gooseneck hitch... >

Positioning of the gooseneck hitch...

Notices

Positioning of the gooseneck hitch...

Old 02-22-2009, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Positioning of the gooseneck hitch...

Hi, is it any "rule" where to fit the hitch in the bed when installing the hitch?

I thought one of the benefits with the gooseneck was that you could have the hitch a little longer foreward than the rear axle, giving also more weight from the gooseneck trailer onto the frnt wheels? I looked under the frame of my truck, and it seems like there are holes for mounting the assembily right over the rear axle...?? Where would you RECCOMEND to mount it?

Thanx!!!
Old 02-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every goose-neck that I have had was installed directly in the center of the wheel wells.That way the weight is centered obove the axle.You can't go too far forward because of trailer clearance issues.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:41 PM
Registered

OK, thanks!

One other qustion... What do you do with the luggage on the bed? I use to have it full of everything. I wonder if there is a device that protect the luggage from coming in contact with the goose neck. What about weather protection?? If it rains the tonneau cover can't be on with a goose neck trailer, or is it a special cover?
Old 02-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Registered

HAHA, that is my personal boat. I work with Fountains and Nor-Techs in Norway, Europe. Here you see a gooseneck camper once every year.... (Different rules make it difficult to get registration). I run a lot of boat trailers, but have never driven a goose neck. I have one customer for a new 7, and we want a spectacular trailer. That means I need to fit a hitch ball for gooseneck on my GMC. But I am sure a 29 Fever would have looked cool on a goose too hehe....

It could be possible to fit some kind of "can" around where the goose goes down into the bed, and make a cover that fit around it. I have an electriv bed locker today that slides fron the front to the rear when locking.

I want to make a stand for a MV Agusta motorcuycle on top of the goose with a little electric crane to take it down!! And lots of extra goodies. :-)
Old 02-23-2009, 09:12 AM
Registered

if you are talking goosenecks and not fith wheels. There realy is only a ball in the bed, and the neck of the trailer doesn't take up much room in the bed. Luggage isn't a problem with a gooseneck.. Now a fifth wheel has a bigger mount in the bed, but again as long as the luggage stays below the bed rails or in front of the hitch there isn't a problem.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:18 PM
Registered

I have a gooseneck in the bed of my Ford F450 for towing my 47 Fountain and it works great. I got a B&W Turnover Ball Gooseneck. It has the highest rating (25K and 6K tongue weight) and the ball turns over so it is completely flush with the bed of the truck.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Registered

Ditto the B&W hitch. Best on the market.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got the same one in my F-450 very nice hitch.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Registered

Funny I have a popup hitch that is rated at 30,000 in my F350...My neighbor has one similar in his dodge that is rated the same. Not sure where you get 25K as a highest weight
Old 02-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ZBODaytona
Funny I have a popup hitch that is rated at 30,000 in my F350...My neighbor has one similar in his dodge that is rated the same. Not sure where you get 25K as a highest weight
I looked up the specs on the turnover hitch from B&W. You are right...30,000 GVW and 7,500 vertical weight...thanks

Quick Reply: Positioning of the gooseneck hitch...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.