Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Stiff GMC dually springs... Any uggestions??? >

Stiff GMC dually springs... Any uggestions???

Notices

Stiff GMC dually springs... Any uggestions???

Old 03-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stiff GMC dually springs... Any uggestions???

Hi guys. I am the happy owner of a 2002 GMC 3500 dually. The truck is great and I use it every day. My only wish is that it would be a little more comfortable with no load. On uneven roadsurface the car "kick" from the rear suspention.... It is extremely stiff! I know it is meant for heavy loads, but it is too stiff for cruising around in my opinion.

Question: Is it something I can do to make it more "driveable"??? (less shaking)

I heared somebody talked about some kind of shock absorbing shackle for the leaf springs??

Thanks for advices!!

Erik
Old 03-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sulastic Shackles are supposed to be very helpful and I think are what you're talking about.

Also, Bilstein shocks make a huge improvement. I have them on my 08, (come with my RCD 6 in lift) and it rides way better than stock.

Dieselplace.com has a ton of info on these trucks, so I'd ask there. Just be prepared you might end up spending more than you planned on numerous other upgrades.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Registered

There is a company that makes an expandable tank that goes in the bed. It is filled with water. So when unload fill with water, when loaded empty it. It lies flat and is supposed to be very strong. I haven't seen it used but sounds like it would work. Personally you will probably get used to the ride....It is a one ton and will never ride super soft.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Registered

THANKS ALOT!! I have to test these out. The rear part of the truck "jumps" after going over some bad bridge connections. This is not safe... I will let you know when I have tested it.

Thanks,
Erik
Old 03-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Registered

Dieselplace.com has a huge thread about the jitters over expansion joints and bridges, etc.

I think there is also a cab mount fix or something that can be done under warranty. I'd check there for the details on the warranty fix to tell your dealer about it.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Registered

What was said above. The diesel forums are very helpful.

My dually did see a nice improvement after the bilsteins. A must in my opinion.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:05 PM
Registered

The factory overload spring has a very small gap between it and it's contact point. When the spring tries to compress after hitting small bumps the overload spring comes in contact with the main spring pack before it is able to absorb the bump. Several people have removed the overload spring and added air bags to keep the tow rating. I recomend the firestone bags.

Last edited by gofastkyle; 03-02-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by gofastkyle
The factory overload spring has a very small gap between it and it's contact point. When the spring tries to compress after hitting small bumps the overload spring comes in contact with the main spring pack before it is able to absorb the bump. Several people have removed the overload spring and added air bags to keep the tow rating. I recomend the firestone bags.
I have had many duallys and the FIRESTONE AIR BAGS make a world of difference. A good set of shocks (RANCHOS) my favorite and a set of MICHELIN LTX tires and you'll have smooth sailing.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:34 AM
Registered

What Bill said, I took my overload springs off the first week,added airbags for towing and it improved greatly.
I also ran the Michein LTX tires,I went up one size in height also. best riding dually I have been in.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Registered

Funny how we've all found the same thing. LTX's here as well and love 'em - ride and wear.

I'll have to do the overload to bag swap as well.

Quick Reply: Stiff GMC dually springs... Any uggestions???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.