Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Different kinds of exhaust on trucks.... >

Different kinds of exhaust on trucks....

Notices

Different kinds of exhaust on trucks....

Old 03-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Different kinds of exhaust on trucks....

I wonder if you have any ideas or experience with side outlets for the exhaust in front of the rear tires or "roof pipes". I wish a little more grunt out of my Duramax, but still wish to get it as quiet for long distances with heavy weight.

Ideally, a silent choise system diverter in front of the muffler would me great, but unlike in a boat, the T-fitting (diverter) need not only to open up for the ekstra outlet, but also to close the original pipe towards the muffler. As far as I know, no marine silent choises does anything else than shutting he outgoing pipe between the diverter and the transom. Has anyone had a silent choise system ftted to their truck....................................???????
Old 03-05-2009, 11:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On performance cars they have exhaust dump that open only when you need the extra flow.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Registered

Are you saying that shorter pipe give less backpressure and that it would decrease the NM an HPs?? Then a free flowing system would in particular do the same?

I went from two pipes to one catalytic converter (much resistance) to two single pipes without any catalytic converter at all (less resistance) on a Maserati twin turbo one time, and I think the bosst came slower? But maybe more horsepower at full throttle... Anyone with any experience with this on a diesel truck?

Thanks!!
Old 03-08-2009, 01:14 PM
Registered

Default exhaust

On a diesel bigger exhaust will lower your egts give you more horsepower and little better mileage. As long as you keep the muffler it will not be too bad.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I have all three makes chevy dodge ford....

The dodge has stacks no muffler 4" down tube and exhaust all ss but the stacks 5".. very load on the road

The ford has an mbrp 4" turbo down pipe with 5" exhaust mbrp muffler and a 5"in 6" outlet mbrp tip after the rear wheel. very nice tone and no drone in the cab for the highway.

The duramax has a 4" down tube 5" exhaust with an aeroturbine muffler dumped before the rear axle.. Very dronny at highway speeds kinda have to chat loud...

If u dump the exhaust infront of the rear tires u will get soot all over it and some discoloration on a wheel. ( been there done that)
Old 03-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

On my duramax i deleted the cat and ran a 4 in. exhaust with a muffler. You feel the difference and the noise level hardly changes.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Registered

Thanks guys.

Stacks will not be mounted, but something that "seperate he men from the boys" would fit tis truck perfect. When looking underneath this 2002 Duramax, it are appears that it has only one muffler in front og the rear axle and no cat.

The exhaust note is almost not possible to hear exept at 1700 rpms with a heavy right foot. But the sound is so nice, and I want it louder!! Any reccomendations about what muffler to use?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:20 AM
Registered

On my 6.0 powerstroke, I tried 2 different exhaust, I tried a Silverline 5" exhaust (cat delete) with the 4" downpipe and under load(towing the boat) at certian rpms(2100 to 2225) it had a drone in the cab which was obnoxious, I went with the Bassani 4" turbo back system and the truck ran a little better and had no drone whatsoever, egt's were the same with either system and both were app 200 degrees lower than with the stock system, the 5" system will not help you unless are heavily modded as far as propane injection, bigger injectors etc. Bigger ain't always better, with the 5" on a basically stock truck you lose a little torque over the 4". Also, run your tailpipes out behind the rear wheels, I had a tailpipe made with split tips run out the back under the bumper and it would leave a diesel residue on the boat on a decent length road trip.

Last edited by Slick02; 03-12-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

the aeroturbine is my fav.. Has a very dep throatty sound at the back like a huufed up V8 till u get up by the front and head the diesel engine.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JPD Motorsports
The ford has an mbrp 4" turbo down pipe with 5" exhaust mbrp muffler and a 5"in 6" outlet mbrp tip after the rear wheel. very nice tone and no drone in the cab for the highway.
MBRP on Powerstrokes sounds badass

Quick Reply: Different kinds of exhaust on trucks....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.