Notices

Vegas To Buffalo (made it)

Old 05-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vegas To Buffalo (made it)

Well guys i made it, despite some of the negative comments i got.The boat was just under 12' x 39' I drove the boat on Lake Mead and went behind the Hoover damn, creepy but cool, Lake Mead is like being at the end of the world or beginning of it. Loading the boat on the trailer was hell the owner never did it before so i had to do it all, the lake level is so low i had to back the truck in the water about 500 feet and the launch ramp is where the earth meets the water they dont have ramps, I was in so far when i opened the door of the truck i flooded it. The road trip was ok, I bought flags and oversize load sighns and had no problems with cops i had a permit for NY and just passed all the weigh stations. I rubbed the toll booths in Indiana and was not alllowed on the Ohio turnpike and finally broke the flags off on the Nys booths. I pulled it with a 08 Ram 2500 single axle with a 6.7 litre diesel I cant belive how well the truck handled the load. If i saw the boat on the trailer on land and knew i had to haul it with a single axle, I would have refused, but after making the trip i would do it again. It was very stable it did not drift at all and had power left over climbing the mountains in Utah. It also has a Jake brake which helped going down hill. The last 150 miles really sucked I blew 2 tires in PA So i limped to a truck stop and pulled the tires and bought a chain and a binder and tied up the center axle because nobody had tires. 40 miles later i blew another (now i only have 3 left) I called a tire service and they "borrowed one from a friend" and got me going for $300.00 So I drove 35mph the last 70 miles to ensure i would make it. And I DiD!!!!!!
Old 05-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Registered

Congrats on the "no hassle by lawman" move.

Ive walked acrost the dam, i couldnt emagine taking a 12ft wide boat through there.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

nice! lets see some pics!
Old 05-10-2009, 11:36 PM
Registered

Burley trip man, unreal. That's real solid. Gonna make for some great story telling for years to come.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by The Ghost
Well guys i made it, despite some of the negative comments i got.The boat was just under 12' x 39' , I was in so far when i opened the door of the truck i flooded it, I bought flags and oversize load sighns and had no problems with cops i had a permit for NY and just passed all the weigh stations. I rubbed the toll booths in Indiana and was not alllowed on the Ohio turnpike and finally broke the flags off on the Nys booths. The last 150 miles really sucked I blew 2 tires in PA So i limped to a truck stop and pulled the tires and bought a chain and a binder and tied up the center axle because nobody had tires. 40 miles later i blew another (now i only have 3 left) I called a tire service and they "borrowed one from a friend" and got me going for $300.00 So I drove 35mph the last 70 miles to ensure i would make it. And I DiD!!!!!!
I rarely ever get on here acting as the OSO towing police, but for the safety of everyone around you, the next time you do this, it would be greatly appreciated if would post a week in advance your route, the days you will travel and the times. I don't haul boats, but I am in trucking and it sounds like you experienced about 30 years worth of mishaps all in one horribly planned and dangerous trip.

Those of us out here operating legally and safely spend a LOT of money in fees and taxes and go through one hell of a lot of BS with the DOT to stay legal and operate safely. Your absolute disregard for everyone and everything except yourself, is not appreciated at all.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:16 PM
Registered

First of all you sound like a typical STUPID lonely driver sitting in a truckstop with nothing to do. There was nothing unsafe about this trip i have a class A license (not that i needed it anyway) and have been boating and driving since i could walk i had sighns and flags what else do you want? I dont need to spend money on fees and taxes like you do. I dont need to bother with the Dot. This was a one time move. If was to start to haul professionaly I would have a permit for every state and Dot numbers on the truck etc etc, But im not. If your truly in the trucking business you dont do everything exactly legal and by the book because you would be out of business. And if you dont haul boats or have a boat what the #%#% are you doing in Offshoreonly? You should be on ONSHOREONLY.COM...Get a life and mind you own business.:green chainsaw::a sskiss::asskis s:
Old 05-15-2009, 01:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"The last 150 miles really sucked I blew 2 tires in PA So i limped to a truck stop and pulled the tires and bought a chain and a binder and tied up the center axle because nobody had tires. 40 miles later i blew another"
Were your lips sore?
Old 05-15-2009, 06:51 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't make much sense to me. If you got stopped in one state not having the proper permits the fines would have been much greater than what you saved by not having the boat hauled properly and legally.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:35 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like you still have a little pent up road rage going on. Those comments when you started this thread wher members trying to be helpful and suggestions trying to keep your trip from turning into an impound disaster. One road stop in any state and you would then be on here saying you should have listened to those NEG members because they confiscated your whole rig and you had to spend a whole week in UTAH paying fines, and permit fees on top. Why blast someone for having an opinion and being right? You got kids? Do they cheat and cut corners too? In the long run what did you save? Think about it! Just my 2ct's worth.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Registered

First of all when i started the thread i got feedback on the basics what to do and i pretty much did them all. Just to be clear I had a permit for Nys, and the women who got me the permit is a big shot for the Dmv. So just based on that i had alot of confidence in what this women told me. I got the permit in about 1 hour after asking for it and she said that, that is the only permit i needed. She also told me the In addition to the permit i only needed two red flags on the back of the trailer and 1 in the front. So I thought i was good, come to find out after i was already in Vegas partying like a Rockstar and dealing with other issues with the boat i found out by talking to a good friend of mine who owns one of the biggest marinas in Buffalo and also who transports boats personally and is very knowledgeable he told me i need a oversize load sighn on the back of the boat and one on the front of the truck, so i bought them and also put two red flags on the corners of the front bumper (which is not required but it looked good) And two flags on the front of each corner of the trailer. He also told me iam supposed to have a permit for every state and flashing yellow lights on the back corners of the trailer. He told me he has been through countless DOT checks and they never bother him for the lights. As far as the permits go he said its worth taking the chance not getting the permits. Only because im NOT a professional company transporting a boat for money im just a private guy so having a permit for Ny and all the sighns and the extra flags i have a good shot of playing stupid and saying "gee officer i tried so hard to do everyhthing legal and just did what i was told by the nys dmv" So based on what my friend told me and my driving knowledge (like i said earlier i have a class A) and my personal experience with the DOT and my rolodex of powerfull people to call if i had a problem it was worth taking a shot. And obviously I MADE IT. They dont impound the rig for a week like one of you guys said, its just a ticket and believe me if you know how to work the system after you plea a ticket down they dont cost much. You guys must be the kind of people who walk into a car dealer and pay sticker. So it is worth taking the chance and Fireboat your comments are not worth 2 cents they are not worth d%ck. Fireboat also asks "Do i cheat and cut corners and in the long run what did i save?" Well Fireboat i take it you have no clue how the business world works because thats how the world turns. So to anwser your question because you are so stupid you had to ask it. Yes i saved the cost of the permits DUMB A%S. As far as HayJay he claims this was a "horribbly planned and unsafe trip" There was nothing unsafe about this trip. There were new tires, new bearings, new brakes, new master cylinder, and new lights put into the trailer to asure it would make it without a mechanical failure. And there wasnt, blowing a few tires could happen to my mother. So again there was nothing unsafe the only thing i cut a corner on was the permits. So who gives a fu%k about a permit, that doesent make it any safer. So therefore HayJay,Fireboat,Bowtie, You guys should keep your comments to your self because in my opinion you guys sound really ignorant and just plain stupid and have absolutely no common sense at all. And if you guys actually own a boat i hope you find the bottom or some rocks.... Thank you to Perlmudder, Boatntrker, BowenCt,and Cig1988. For the congrats on a cool trip and not saying stuff that makes no sense. IN SHORT I AM NOT A PERSON IN THE BUSINESS OF HAULING BOATS THIS WAS A ONE TIME DEAL I HAD ALL THE SAFETY EQUIPMENT REQUIRED I HAD A BAD AS% DIESEL TRUCK I HAVE A CLASS A LICENSE AND IAM ONE OF THE BEST DRIVERS EVER....BOOWHOOOO I DINT GET A PERMIT FOR EVERY STATE!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.