Notices

Advice needed on a Tow

Old 06-01-2009, 05:08 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=seafordguy;2876169]Member Sydwayz has the answer to one of your questions in his sig line - if you have to ask, no you can't tow it.

I don't like towing my 35 Cig with my Dually Diesel F350, I sure as hell wouldn't want to tow a 40 CAT with less truck.....

QUOTE]

Why is that

I have pulled my 38' scarab, 38' Cig, and 43' Black Thunder all over the place with my 350 diesel dually ( Even pulled the BT through McDonalds Drifve thru)
We pulled the 38'Cig to Florida from Michigan and back home a few times

Electric over Hydraulic brakes are a must for long haul towing but other than that it is a breeze

If you have a 350 Dualy and a 35 foot boat it should be a breeze to tow
Old 06-01-2009, 06:02 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 569 Likes on 262 Posts

Just hit the scales this weekend with my rig. 02 Top Gun on Steel Manning trailer w elec over Hyd, 13300 lbs, full of fuel.
I tow with a SRW 3500 CC Chevy, does pretty well, Total rig weight is right at the 22,000 GVW that it is rated for.
Time to start shopping for that F650 Cat package.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a well known fact that duallys are more stable with a load on them then a single wheel..and its common sense..with two more tires on the rear axle helping with the load.

But ya'll have hijacked this thread. Mild thunder..has your friend made a decision? Gotta post pics of his new ride too!!
Old 06-01-2009, 01:30 PM
Registered

Have it hauled professionally on a flatbed!
Old 06-01-2009, 02:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

[QUOTE=boatme;2877225]
Originally Posted by seafordguy
Member Sydwayz has the answer to one of your questions in his sig line - if you have to ask, no you can't tow it.

I don't like towing my 35 Cig with my Dually Diesel F350, I sure as hell wouldn't want to tow a 40 CAT with less truck.....

QUOTE]

Why is that

I have pulled my 38' scarab, 38' Cig, and 43' Black Thunder all over the place with my 350 diesel dually ( Even pulled the BT through McDonalds Drifve thru)
We pulled the 38'Cig to Florida from Michigan and back home a few times

Electric over Hydraulic brakes are a must for long haul towing but other than that it is a breeze

If you have a 350 Dualy and a 35 foot boat it should be a breeze to tow
Didn't say it didn't handle it fine or that it wasn't enough truck - my commentary was really more along the lines of the fact that it is still plenty of load out back....

That must have been one HELL of a drive thru.....!!!!!
Old 06-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your own state of New Jersey for one requires dual rear wheel for any overwidth permit. It's stated on the permit. South Carolina also, not sure of the others. There's a reason they require it, you can argue all day about this but most that tow alot will agree a dually tows better than a single axle truck. I wonder why they put dual wheels on big trucks drive axles?
Old 06-01-2009, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

bowtie - I'm glad you read but not all thrucks have dual tires. They have been pushing "super singles" for years, not with must success here but they still try hard, since your in NJ next time look at the APGAR trucks (flatbeds & tanks) they run singles on the tractors and trailers.

Question do you drive / own big trucks? Not going anywhere with that question just want to know won't fire a smart ass answer back - maybe we know each other?
Old 06-01-2009, 07:55 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
A buddy of mine may be buying a older 40' Cat from south florida. Main obstacle here is transporting the boat back to chicago. The boat has a 11'6" beam. The trailer under it is a dinosaur, needs brakes, and bearings to be road worthy at minimum.

I think the best way to go is having the boat and trailer hauled on a semi trailer. However, got a couple prices, and it sure isnt the cheapest option. But probably the safest.

Other option is, to have a shop go thru the trailer down there, and have a hauler tow it back on its own trailer. Less money on the haul than the semi, but would still need to drop the money to get the trailer redone at a shop 1400 miles from us.

He suggested we drive down ourselves and tow it back with his F350 SRW 4x4 diesel truck. (after the trailer was redone). I told him I did not think towing a heavy old 40ft cat thats near 12ft wide with a SRW pickup 1400 miles would be a good idea! Not sure I'd even want to do it with a F350 Dually.

Any thoughts on this guys?? Once the trailer is back here, we could go thru it ourselves, and in no big hurry, as the boat will be stored using rack service anyhow.
Any thoughts?

The Mississippi!
Old 06-10-2009, 05:08 AM
Registered

What did you decide on the tow? Call bob 954-646-6070 and save a bunch of headache's. The debate of tongue weight is simple, it works on a greater percentage of weight forward of the balance point(axles). The heavier the object, the more tongue weight you end up with. That's why 18 wheeler trailer axles are all the way back and the tractor can hold so much weight. It's always better to be safe than sorry!!!!

Last edited by gofastkyle; 06-10-2009 at 05:10 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:26 AM
Registered

I forgot.80% of a vehicles brakes are in the front, so the dually not stopping as well as a single wheel, not the case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.