Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
A 1979 Trans Am with only 12 miles >

A 1979 Trans Am with only 12 miles

Notices

A 1979 Trans Am with only 12 miles

Old 06-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet
Old 06-05-2009, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

12 miles and rusted under the car, yea we wonder why american car companies are in bankrupt????????
Old 06-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
I had a bad ass '78 6.6L all black/black without a stupid eagle on the hood.

Awww man the Eagle was the best part on those!! It totally finished off the whole "American Pride" look, especially if you had a modded out van to match it!

This was the bad boy to have:

Old 06-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

Welcome to the upper midwest... That car was in the Volo Museum for a time, and from the cars I have seen, there over the years, they are NICE.

The surface rust you see is the rear spring and muffler/tailpipe area. Those areas almost always turned brown with in months of the original purchase. Remember back in those days, they did not have powder coating, and in most cases if they did paint the raw parts. it was just a light coating of paint. Emphasis, if they painted them at all!

I have seen this MANY times over the years when looking at classic cars, especially in that era.

Most likely it was in a garage, where the owner did not put a vapor barrior between the concrete and car, thus condensation...

The quarters and everything else look very clean from the pictures... My guess is if you actually looked atr the car, not just pictures you would be impressed.

And if you are not into classic cars.... You wouldnt understand why you would want one anyhow, so........
Old 06-05-2009, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow you guys are critical. You are looking at too many over restored show cars. Uncoated steel will rust unless you lock it in a room and suck the oxygen out of the air. In 1979 they did not use protective coatings like they do now. No stainless exhaust and no under coating just bare steel. Ever looked at a piece of paper that is 30 years old. It gets yellow. The T-tops may have leaked at one time in transit and dripped on the sticker. Most show cars use reproduction window stickers. The car has been stored in a heated and A/C building as good as it gets. This car is never meant to be driven again and will end up in a Museum. Possibly overseas. Barrett-Jackson auction Jan 09 one sold with 800 miles for $59,400.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, so if you want it for a museum, but my '08 Mustang GT is still faster, handles better, cost less than half of what this guy is looking to get, and the exhaust on the new car is Stainless
Old 06-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Do you just need the space? I am not pretending to understand your situation, but something like this to me is worth more than the money. That is a long time to store and care for it.
Old 06-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
Has to one of the rarest cars in the world. A 1979 Trans Am Silver Anniversary with only 12 actual miles.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...7117&viewitem=
Nice find, great car and in great condition, would be fun to have in the collection, if it goes low enough might have to grab it.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLee
Awww man the Eagle was the best part on those!! It totally finished off the whole "American Pride" look, especially if you had a modded out van to match it!

This was the bad boy to have:

And a mullett to match the van and eagle.. lol

Nice car, good find. with the trouble in the current GM if they fail the value of that thing will probly tripple.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:10 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

Did the factory back then use exhaust pipe clamps to hold the exhaust together???

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.