Notices

08 h2 with 6l80 trans?

Old 06-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 08 h2 with 6l80 trans?

Bought this 08 h2 sut as my main vehicle and to tow. I got bored so I figured I'd do a search to see what people said about on this forum and have read nothing but bad things. Though, that is the older h2 with much less horse and a 4l60 tranny. Is the 400 horse engine mated to the 6l80 trans a more durable package? It also has load leveling rear air ride suspension for towing. I'm going to be towing a single engine 29 cat. Total package should weigh 7500 or under (which is less than the tow rating). I'll be taking delivery of the boat in cali in a week and driving it to chicago...needless to say through mountains several times. Anyone tow with 08+ or have some insight on this set up?

Old 06-24-2009, 08:15 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the 6l80 is far supperior trans to the 4l60. Its a 6 speed version of the 4l80 that backs gas motors in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Your rig is bassically a 3/4 truck. It will yank your boat all around. Dont expect any gas milage to write home about.....but you should be well within the limits of the truck with the proper hitch.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
Yes, the 6l80 is far supperior trans to the 4l60. Its a 6 speed version of the 4l80 that backs gas motors in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Your rig is bassically a 3/4 truck. It will yank your boat all around. Dont expect any gas milage to write home about.....but you should be well within the limits of the truck with the proper hitch.
Thank you for chiming in, that's reassuring. And ya, gas mileage is nothing to write home about right now with 22's on 38's anyways. A uhaul prob does much better......

chris
Old 06-24-2009, 08:41 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Check the weight capacity rating of those tires and wheels before you tow. Members on this board have had their wheels BREAK while towing with terrible results.

Also, I'm willing to bet that your factory hitch is a Class-III that requires a full Weight Distributing Hitch setup to tow that kind of weight. Either upgrade to a true Class-V hitch from Reese, Curt, or Putnam before you tow that kind of weight AND/OR invest in a Weight Distributing Hitch setup. If you go with a WD hitch; I'd highly advise an Electric over Hydraulic brake system as well for the trailer. (E/H brakes are far superior to Surge brake systems.) That H2 is still a relatively short wheel base for towing. Even though you are not pushing the towing capacity of
the truck, it still has the potential to buck and move around on you especially; in emergency situations. Remember, surge brakes and inertia based electric brake controllers only work well when you have braking traction on the truck and the truck & trailer are traveling/braking in a straight line. If you start to jackknife, you pretty much lose your trailer brakes due to the inertia design(s).

I assume that truck has a transmission cooler and a transmission temperature gauge, but if it does not; install them. Also, you want to buy a Laser Temp gun to keep an eye on tires, bearings, and your truck's running gear components while towing, (when you stop for fuel/break etc.).

The Diablo Sport Predator Tuner and some of the better plug in ODB2 code readers work great as real time engine diagnostic monitors WHILE you are towing, showing you real time engine stats/temps/load/percentages. I tend to have the real time info displayed on my code reader/tuner when towing on long trips, just to keep an eye on things.

I had a 2500 Avalanche with the 8.1L and 4L60/M32 transmission, and I towed 12,000 lbs. with that setup. The transmission had a bad valve body when the truck was brand new. I had the valve body and the TC replaced under warranty at less than 10K miles. After that, the transmission never missed a lick. The transmission actually didn't suffer due to the above issues. It just ran at extreme high pressure once in a while and shifted like a 396SS Chevelle; which was actually kind of fun.

Nice setup.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-24-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hostang: The Hummer will pull the boat no problem. I would look into a Reese or Putnam Class V hitch. Definitely check the wheels load capacity. I would also STAY AWAY from surge brakes on your trailer. The are a pain in the butt. I have installed a Hypertech tune in my Avalanche 2500 that has the 8.1 liter. I would look into this since It really helped my engine. Your engine has plenty of HP but Torque is what you need. The Hypertech will give you more lower end torque. The Hummer has the same wheelbase as the Tahoe, not the longer wheelbase of the Suburban. While towing sharp manuevers are not recommended.

Enjoy!

Wannabe

Last edited by wannabe; 06-30-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Registered

Anybody know the rating on the factory H2 wheels? I see them on a lot of 3/4 trucks but the scare the hell out of me, I get nervous with most of aftermarket wheels. Still got the stock forged wheels on mine.

jim
Old 06-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

You won't have any trouble with your drivetrain.
Make sure those wheels are forged and not cast aluminum.

I like steel wheels with stainless covers (chrome wheel simulators on my dually)