Notices

taking a trip ?

Old 07-27-2009, 06:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default taking a trip ?

Hi everyone I have a question I am taking a trip to the Destin, for the Emerald coast poker run and coming from Tampa so guess it's like 9 hours with traileriing a boat.On a long trip what should I look for a should I bring any extras for the trailer.Asking because I don't use my trailer so it will be a long trip for me.Any info ?
Old 07-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 758 Likes on 348 Posts

I hauled my boat back from CT and coincidently about a month ago my Father's boat also from CT (both to VA).

I would recommend:

2 spares, 1 or 2 sockets with a breaker bar to fit the lugs, a jack and some various blocks just in case, a grease gun, flashlights, a couple spare lugnuts, chains in case you had to chaine up an axle, obviously straps.

Just having crap like that is nice in case you have to jeryrig something.

I stopped every 2 or 3 hours at a rest stop and got out and felt around the wheel bearings to make sure they weren't hot, but other than that I just put the hammer down and went....
Old 07-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also carry a couple of small craftsman toolkits with sockets, screwdrivers, open end adjustable wrench AKA crescent wrench, etc etc.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:20 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

A full spare hub kit including several sets of bearings; and tools and grease to change them.

Your best investment is a Laser Pyrometer aka Laser Temp Gun. I think Harbor Freight Tools has one on sale for $30 bucks.

Use the Laser Temp Gun to check bearings, brakes, tires, hubs and anything that naturally heats up when towing. (Even the truck tires, transmission, differential, muffler/exhaust). You are looking for uniformity to see that nothing is wrong. If you have a hot spot anomaly on anything, you have a problem brewing. (Remember Seseme Street? One of these xxx is not like the other?--Same principle.) Check temps on everything every time you stop, and you will have a safe tow.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take what ever you have room for. Some blocks of wood to drive the trailer up on in case of a flat or bearing failure is a good time saver. Combine that with a snapon 18 volt impact gun and a tire can be changed in less than 5 minutes.