Notices

Grease seal

Old 07-29-2009, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grease seal

One of my spindles pukes grease continously. I put a new seal on the hub, still leaks. When replacing the seal I noticed it looks like there is a collar or flange on the spindle where the seal would seat. Is this a repair of some kind? None of the others have this. The collar looks like it might be damaged and that is probably why it's leaking. Where can I find a replacement? The surface where the bearing rollers ride is not damaged.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brwn234
One of my spindles pukes grease continously. I put a new seal on the hub, still leaks. When replacing the seal I noticed it looks like there is a collar or flange on the spindle where the seal would seat. Is this a repair of some kind? None of the others have this. The collar looks like it might be damaged and that is probably why it's leaking. Where can I find a replacement? The surface where the bearing rollers ride is not damaged.
A seal will wear a grove into the spindle over time. The proper repair is to replace it or weld it up and turn it back to the right size. Both are very costly and time consuming. The easy fix which is what it sounds like you have is nown as a Speedi Sleeve. They are very thin steel sleeves that slide up on the spindle and cover the worn spot and give you new seal a good surface to ride on.

C/R = Chicago Rawhide (division of SKF) & National Seal (owned now by Timken) both offer the Speedi Sleeves.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:29 PM
Registered

bull ****. replace it w/a airtight seal and bushing. that will cure most of the issues w/ seal failures
thats all i use w/ my transport trailers, both grease and oil bath
good luck
Old 07-29-2009, 11:22 PM
Registered

Ok, so I can find online catalogues for SKF but wow thats alot of sizes. How do I know what size I need? I tried googleing it but didnt find much. It's a 3k axle with the inside bearing being 1 3/8". It's a standard seal I can get at any trailer place.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brwn234
Ok, so I can find online catalogues for SKF but wow thats alot of sizes. How do I know what size I need? I tried googleing it but didnt find much. It's a 3k axle with the inside bearing being 1 3/8". It's a standard seal I can get at any trailer place.
They are sized by the axle diameter where the seals rides. Simply measure the spindle diameter or take the part number off the seal and look it up by size for the inside diameter.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This may be what you need. It is an easy way to keep your axles fresh. If your OD on you current sleave is about 1.70, these should work as the sizing on most of the trailer axles are all the same on the bearing surfaces. If needed, you can also drill a hole for the grease if you have the zerk grease fittings on your axles.
To install, you can see there is a removable lip (you don't have to remove) on the speedi sleeve. We bought a 1.5" PCV coupler from Home Depot cut out slightly to about 1.72 on a lathe to make the perfect install tool. All six axles re-sleeved in 10 min....good as new. I found the brand "Speedi Sleeve" and bought one, it is the the same part as below and at the bearing shop they were about $25 ea.

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....categoryID=190