Notices

Tongue

Old 10-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 951 Likes on 479 Posts

Or you can jump the winch assembly over where the beams come together like you said and have a custom bow roller braket made up and move the boat farther forward ...if it dont work out you can easily put it all back....if you cut the tongue theres no going back without replacing it.....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 10-02-2009, 09:42 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,212 Likes on 525 Posts

That's not that great of a trailer, and here is my reasoning:

All that wood bunk hanging off the back of the trailer with no trailer cross member and frame support--that wood WILL sag over time. Not only that, this will allow the boat to sag over time, much the same way as having a boat hanging off the back of the bunks. In your case, this will eventually create a hook in your hull. This may sound extreme, but it can and will happen, however major/minor; etc. It is feasible.

I would move the winch stand forward of the Y where the I-beams come together.

Then, make note of where the transom of the boat sits via relative distance from the rear cross member on the trailer; once you have moved the winch stand forward.

THEN, remove the boat and move the WHOLE WOOD BUNK forward to the point where only about 2" of wood is sticking out past the transom of the boat.

Now, I don't know how much tongue weight this is going to give you. It may very well be too much. However, your boat will be properly supported on that trailer that should have I-beams and cross members that are at least 18" longer than they are.

By the way, I speak from experience. My Rocket trailer under my 26' Sonic was built the same way.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Also, I don't see anything supporting the forward section of that hull. Moving the boat forward may very well cause the hull to interfere with the I-beams as well.

In my opinion, every trailer needs front horizontal 2x6 cradle supports for the V section of the forward hull. This will help you guide the boat on especially in wind and current. As it is right now, you risk hull to aluminum contact if you miss the bow stand. That's not good.
Old 10-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cutting off 1 ft won't change the tongue weight, other than the weight of the peice of steel you cut off. It doesn't have any effect of the boats position over the axles, which is what determines tonue weight.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Ya US1 I think I would agree with that. As far as what Sydwayz had to say , well I dont agree. I went and looked at over 20 boats parked at the same place I keep mine and 90% of them on alum trailers had the bunks sticking out at least as far as mine. The ones that didn't were twin engine boats and the axles were further back to cope with the extra weight of the engines . The bunks are 4x6 cypress. Thats probably stronger than having aluminum hang off back there. The boat does slightly rest on a center guide3/4 the way up but is hard to see in the pic.

Chris
Old 10-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Blueabyss
Ya US1 I think I would agree with that. As far as what Sydwayz had to say , well I dont agree. I went and looked at over 20 boats parked at the same place I keep mine and 90% of them on alum trailers had the bunks sticking out at least as far as mine. The ones that didn't were twin engine boats and the axles were further back to cope with the extra weight of the engines . The bunks are 4x6 cypress. Thats probably stronger than having aluminum hang off back there. The boat does slightly rest on a center guide3/4 the way up but is hard to see in the pic.

Chris
I don't mean to call your baby ugly & I understand your thoughts. But like I said, I speak from experience as two trailers ago I was up against the same issue(s). My used Rocket trailer was only 2 seasons old when I got it and it was never used, as the boat was lift stored. The bunks were absolute junk when I got it; cracked and warped including sagging downward to the aft. I don't remember if they were PT Pine or Cypress, but I did replace them with Cypress when I rebuilt the whole thing. I have several posts here on OSO about my old Rocket trailer and my rebuild.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Bunks

It's ok Sydwayz . I understand what you are saying.. I do think there are large differences in steel vs alum trailers and in what bunks are made of.. As i understand it cypress is the best. i also know from experience that the bunks are a wear item and have to be replaced ever so often. I looked at a 25 outlaw on a different brand trailer today.. that boat is similar in dimensions to my boat and the trailer was somewhat similar. I measured the length from hitch coupler to bow eye and length from last cross member behind axles to the end of the boat.. The baja was within .5 inch in the front and 1.5 inches in the rear.. I also looked at my trailer ball as it was new 3 days ago.. It was marked up a little on the top 1/4th but none under the sides of the ball.. Hence it must not be bouncing much.. The trailer is a magic tilt trailer. lots of them around here.
Chris

Chris
Old 10-03-2009, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Short tongue

Careful Sir:
Consider this: If you shorten the trailer tongue, you will reduce the distance between the power unit drive axle and the towed unit axles. A shorter distance may require that you dunk your drive axle tires in the water at the ramp for a proper launch. Traction problems!!!