Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
What's better than carpet on trailer boards? >

What's better than carpet on trailer boards?

Notices

What's better than carpet on trailer boards?

Old 10-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by marylandmark
I put bunkaps on my lift- easier to get on//off at low tide since they slide when wet.

Resistance when dry? More than carpet IMHO... Try running your hand across your car tire- won't make it 2 inches...
A fixed lift is a lot different than a trailer; and that application actually makes a lot of sense.

Remember your car tire is made of rubber, not plastic.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I've found that no one installs the carpet on the bunks as well as I do. That's probably because I am slow and anal retentive with my work.

I've redone all four of my trailers and the carpet has held up remarkably well. I didn't like the carpet that any of them came with either. I use the ribbed indoor/outdoor carpet available from Home Depot/Lowes with SS staples and some carpet adhesive on the long flat side of the bunks to keep the carpet from bunching.

I wouldn't use the plastic runner stuff. It's too easy for these boats to come off the trailers. The plastic runners just make it even worse.

I will attest to brians work, i bought his old trailer and yes he is as anal as they come, but does nice work, stick with the outdoor carpet and you should be good to go.
Old 10-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Registered

I don't coat the whole board. In the case of a 2x6; I coat about 70% of the flat side of the board.

My Myco was 4 seasons old when I got it, and the wood was JUNK. I mean it was falling apart; all splintered up and cracked. I started from scratch (beginning of this season) with all new 2x6 PT Grade A Pine. I consulted a buddy and OSO member who owns a Cypress mill, and he said just use PT pine.

IMHO and experience, leaving the bottom/back side of the wood/board/bunk open is the most important factor to allow for drying. My Myco had black carpet over 80% of the board, and exposed wood was then coated with black paint for looks. I did NOT repaint the back of my boards when I redid everything.

See this thread on SOS:
http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forum...arpeting+bunks
I replaced a broken bunk board and carpet and when I called MYCO they said to use plain rather than pressure treated pine because it is softer and would mold to the hull better. I have used the trailer several seasons and it still looks perfect. I have a 47 Fountain so it is a heavy boat and the bunk was in the rear, holding a lot of the weight. I also launch a lot in shallower ramps and use a small amount of dish soap for lubricant before backing the trailer in which makes a huge difference if you can't go all the way in with the trailer.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by pookie
I replaced a broken bunk board and carpet and when I called MYCO they said to use plain rather than pressure treated pine because it is softer and would mold to the hull better. I have used the trailer several seasons and it still looks perfect. I have a 47 Fountain so it is a heavy boat and the bunk was in the rear, holding a lot of the weight. I also launch a lot in shallower ramps and use a small amount of dish soap for lubricant before backing the trailer in which makes a huge difference if you can't go all the way in with the trailer.
Fountain owners are the only ones who have to worry about soft wood. (just kidding)
Old 10-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember your car tire is made of rubber, not plastic.

• Constructed of a flexible white vinyl that won't scuff or scratch your boat’s hull while cushioning it on your bunks!

I thought they were rubber but guess not. I put them on about 2 years ago when I upgraded from my 04 Concept 30 to my 07 Concept 326. I needed to put the bunks closer together but did these instead to get the extra clearance I needed plus the slip and slide for low tides.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fountain owners are the only ones who have to worry about soft wood. (just kidding)
p:
Old 10-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Has anyone tried remnants from the carpet store ? Heaviest plush, bonded, mildew protected they have, some gets up to 100 oz. The indoor- outdoor is usually pretty light.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't coat the whole board. In the case of a 2x6; I coat about 70% of the flat side of the board.

My Myco was 4 seasons old when I got it, and the wood was JUNK. I mean it was falling apart; all splintered up and cracked. I started from scratch (beginning of this season) with all new 2x6 PT Grade A Pine. I consulted a buddy and OSO member who owns a Cypress mill, and he said just use PT pine.

IMHO and experience, leaving the bottom/back side of the wood/board/bunk open is the most important factor to allow for drying. My Myco had black carpet over 80% of the board, and exposed wood was then coated with black paint for looks. I did NOT repaint the back of my boards when I redid everything.

See this thread on SOS:
http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forum...arpeting+bunks
Is the Pine, Southern Yellow or Lodge Pole....Southern Yellow warps...Lodge Pole doesn't, but not as strong...How about Douglas Fir, strong and doesn't warp, #2 or better, minimum knots (soak w/Thompson water seal)...or, Cypress, White or Red, but heavy.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:40 AM
Registered

On some of myco's commercial apps and govt stuff they have used a white vinyl wrap with a rubber cushion. I had it on a trailer and it worked great!
Old 10-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by CcanDo
Is the Pine, Southern Yellow or Lodge Pole....Southern Yellow warps...Lodge Pole doesn't, but not as strong...How about Douglas Fir, strong and doesn't warp, #2 or better, minimum knots (soak w/Thompson water seal)...or, Cypress, White or Red, but heavy.
It was Lowes Pine. Good question, and I'm not sure of the exact tree/pine type.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 10-24-2009 at 11:42 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.