Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Gm paying back.. Chrysler says..What Money... Ford is the most solvent at the moment >

Gm paying back.. Chrysler says..What Money... Ford is the most solvent at the moment

Notices

Gm paying back.. Chrysler says..What Money... Ford is the most solvent at the moment

Old 12-23-2009, 06:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Gm paying back.. Chrysler says..What Money... Ford is the most solvent at the moment

You are here: Cars > Articles > Chrysler Says It Won't Pay U.S. (Us) Back
Chrysler Says It Won't Pay U.S. (Us) Back
GM Already Paying Back Loans
Posted: Dec, 22 2009
0 Comments
Print
Email All Share Options
A A A
by: Rei

See More Articles
from this Author
If you're keeping a list of who's been naughty or nice, you might want to sharpen your pencil for Chrysler and GM.

In a special message of holiday cheer, Chrysler announced through filings last week that it doesn't appear to want to make good on its $3.7 billion loan from U.S. taxpayers. The money went to Chrysler through the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) in April of 2009 when the company announced its "fast track" Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
Counter that against the letter then-CEO Bob Nardelli wrote to stakeholders before the money came through:
"Our viability plan demonstrates that Chrysler will repay the U.S. government loans in full, with a premium beginning in 2012," Nardelli wrote. "As we have indicated all along, shared sacrifice is necessary for Chrysler's survival."
Nardelli, long gone, doesn't have to answer why, but we hope he blushes when he looks at himself in the mirror in the morning. The announcement also appears to fly in the face of TARP's marching orders, which counted recoupment as a major factor in its passage through Congress. The thinking was that no TARP funds would ever add to the national debt. At least from what we've heard from Chrysler, that doesn't appear to be the case.
Journalist Chris Woodyard, author of USA Today's DriveOn blog, describes the awful conditions in which Chrysler is operating as a reason for its inability to pay its bills.

"Chrysler is on track to post the worst sales performance of the 10 largest automakers this year," Woodyard writes on his site. "Sales tumbled 38% during the first 11 months of the year. In November, sales were still down 25% even as Ford and General Motors had largely swung back to even compared to the same month a year ago, Autodata figures show.

"Not bleak enough? Consider this: Underscoring its lack of product, Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep have no press conferences scheduled for the all-important Detroit auto show where new models are typically unveiled amid lots of hoopla. There used to be one press conference for each brand before its bankruptcy reorganization earlier this year. Dealers are stuck selling the same tired models that have gone without updates for years now. Even Fiat CEO Sergio Marchionne, with a controlling stake in Chrysler, sounds pessimistic about about a turnaround."

This flies in the face of Chrysler's last major government bailout, of course. Back in the 1979 the company took $1.5 billion in government money (while only $1 per year went to pay CEO Lee Iacocca's salary at the time) but was able to repay it ahead of schedule, something that the Heritage Foundation notes as a "favorite example cited by proponents of national industrial policy who call for massive and costly federal efforts to revive what they describe as a deperately ailing American economy." The foundation was not an advocate of the 1979 bailout (or that of last year, either), citing amongst other things that the current and future laid off Ford and GM workers never understood that their tax dollars were being used to destroy their own jobs in order to save jobs at Chrysler.

GM, on the other hand, is scheduled to not only pay back its $52 billion loan, but do so early. Of that $52 billion, a good portion of it went into equity in the company ($45.3 billion in shares, which is why we now say that U.S. taxpayers own about 60 percent of GM) while the rest was a straight cash loan to be repaid over a period of time. The company said it will present the government with a payment of over $1 million by the end of this month, while the remaining $5 billion or so will be paid back by mid next year.

That's a seriously fast repayment schedule, especially considering that GM will likely begin offering stock again in 2010, at which point the U.S. can sell its shares in GM on the public market and recoup the remaining $45 billion.

Where do you weigh in on the bailouts, especially in the light of Chrysler and GM giving notice of their payback (or lack of payback) schedules?
Old 12-23-2009, 08:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GM has some really nice products now. Chrysler, not so much. I believe the truck division was split off so it can survive. Jeep should make it through as well. The car division may be kaput, all depends on what Sergio wants to do with it...

I'm a Mopar man so it really saddens me to see this.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
GM has some really nice products now. Chrysler, not so much. I believe the truck division was split off so it can survive. Jeep should make it through as well. The car division may be kaput, all depends on what Sergio wants to do with it...

I'm a Mopar man so it really saddens me to see this.
I think Ford and GM should pick up Dodge and Chrysler seperatly..and improve on the product. You are correct in stating .. GM has really kicked it up a notch in their cars and suvs.... Ford needs new models (and they are coming) and a better presence and sales campaigne... GM is everywhere lately... and their product has improved with their new models only..
Old 12-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Banned

If they pick the bones Ram will be left out. Ford is coming out with their in-house Scorpion and GM will not dump the Japcrap Dmax. They know they can't compete with Cummins.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Banned

Fiat should keep Ram and Jeep. Chrysler's biggest sellers. I see lots of 300s on the road. I liked the looks of the Magnum station wagon too.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:35 PM
Banned

You ask about the bailout. The question is what happens if Fiat follows through with its threat to not pay back the American taxpayers' money that was LENT to them. I don't think it'll get to that, but Obama better have an answer if it does...