Notices

2002 Gmc 1500 Hd

Old 02-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 Gmc 1500 Hd

Hey Guys!

I have an 02 1500HD, its fully loaded 4x4, 6.0L gas, set up for towing, I have about 60K miles on it and I have noticed a "chattering" in the rear end when I back up or go around corners? It doesn't happen all the time, but, was curious if any other board members own, or have owned this truck, or had similiar problems? Any input is appreciated, thanks to everyone!

Michael
Old 02-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by n20michael
Hey Guys!

I have an 02 1500HD, its fully loaded 4x4, 6.0L gas, set up for towing, I have about 60K miles on it and I have noticed a "chattering" in the rear end when I back up or go around corners? It doesn't happen all the time, but, was curious if any other board members own, or have owned this truck, or had similiar problems? Any input is appreciated, thanks to everyone!

Michael
Have you changed the rear end fluid recently? If so, did you add the posi additive?
Old 02-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Registered

I had it changed awhile back, I went to Amsoil, will call and check if mechanic added the additive, appreciate the advice! I had the fluid changed quite awhile ago, would it take this much time to start chattering? just curious, Thanks again!
Old 02-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Registered

I would have it changed again and it uses full synthetic fluid, there is no additive to add. It may be the locker trying to turn both rear wheels at the same time. If one rear wheel spins going under 20 mph it lock in the other one until you let off accel.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Registered

I had another fella tell me it COULD be a wheel speed sensor that has corrosion built up on it and is losing contact when turning/backing up, he claims this is a common problem, but, usually happens on the front wheel speed sensors, any thoughts?
Old 02-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

def. the diff, it happens kinda annoying but nothing will break.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by n20michael
I had it changed awhile back, I went to Amsoil, will call and check if mechanic added the additive, appreciate the advice! I had the fluid changed quite awhile ago, would it take this much time to start chattering? just curious, Thanks again!
No, it should have chattered pretty much right away, but not necessarily. Depending on what AMSOIL you put in there, the Severe Gear has some additive built into it, so sometimes you don't need the additive, but sometimes you do. It might be a cheap try to add some. One bottle of the AMSOIL Slip Lock, diff additive, treats up to 4 qts, so you don't need it all. If you add too much, you can soften the seals. You tow your boat with this truck? You didn't get the pig in the water did you?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sick Stinger
def. the diff, it happens kinda annoying but nothing will break.

So, it should be OK? or should I look at having it fixed ASAP?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
No, it should have chattered pretty much right away, but not necessarily. Depending on what AMSOIL you put in there, the Severe Gear has some additive built into it, so sometimes you don't need the additive, but sometimes you do. It might be a cheap try to add some. One bottle of the AMSOIL Slip Lock, diff additive, treats up to 4 qts, so you don't need it all. If you add too much, you can soften the seals. You tow your boat with this truck? You didn't get the pig in the water did you?
I will look into getting some of the additive, THANKS! As you say its a "cheap fix", I do tow occasionally with the truck, but, I dont think its been in the water, the boat sits on a "Champion" trailer, the toungue on it is about 35 feet long ha ha, so, I think the deepest I have ever been in is having the rear tires "just" in the water.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Registered

Rearends chattering around corners used to be common on GM vehicles with posi-lock. My friend worked on many with chattering and on more than one occasion I watched him take them out in a big parking lot and do tight figure eights with it to "work" the clutches in the rearend, bring the vehicle back to the garage and present the customer with the bill for his services. Sometimes the plates would stick. When my Grand National would occasionally start to chatter around corners (not due to excessive throttle ) I would do the figure eight trick and it usually would be fine for quite awhile. Not saying is your problem, or that this will fix your problem, but just an idea to try.

Last edited by bob_t; 02-03-2010 at 07:02 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.