Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I towed my 25 baja outlaw.... struggled
Old 02-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS
The Hummer's frame is not off of the Tahoe, or anything else.J
Quote from magazine article:

The H2 is built under contract by AM General at a specially constructed plant in Mishawaka, Indiana, USA.
It shares GM's GMT820 truck platform with the Chevrolet Tahoe and GMC Yukon, The H2's final frame assembly is made up of 3 sections: The front uses a modified GM 2500-Series utility frame, the mid-section is all new and is completely boxed, and the rear section uses a modified GM 1500-Series frame which is upgraded for the 8,600 pounds (3,900 kg) gross vehicle weight.

The H2 has a light duty truck frame and has a wider-than-average track firm that may offer stability against overturning compared to some of the more common light truck SUVs, although objective tests have not been performed by the government or other outside parties due to its specialized vehicle class. It is marketed as both a general purpose vehicle and as an off-road vehicle. Because of mass marketing by GM, it is primarily used as a passenger vehicle on typical roads.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no problems here, tows awesome
Old 02-07-2010, 01:40 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've towed a lot more miles than I care to remember and coming from the marine industry, trailer industry (car haulers) and RV industry, I've towed all kinds of things. Boats have always towed the easiest, typically because they're more aerodynamic than a big RV or car hauler...you can typically get away with a bit more when you're towing a boat, but as has been stated, it's not a great idea, in our sue happy society if you have a mishap (and Murphy's Law says you will) you're going to have problems if you're over your vehices rated limits.

I have never owned an H2 but lived within 30 miles of the factory, so it goes without saying I've towed with them and ridden in them more than I care to remember, I'm not bashing them, but they are what they are...and that's more cosmetic than anything else. It's basically a Yukon with a different body...no more, no less.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MrOffshore
I've towed a lot more miles than I care to remember and coming from the marine industry, trailer industry (car haulers) and RV industry, I've towed all kinds of things. Boats have always towed the easiest, typically because they're more aerodynamic than a big RV or car hauler...you can typically get away with a bit more when you're towing a boat, but as has been stated, it's not a great idea, in our sue happy society if you have a mishap (and Murphy's Law says you will) you're going to have problems if you're over your vehices rated limits.

I have never owned an H2 but lived within 30 miles of the factory, so it goes without saying I've towed with them and ridden in them more than I care to remember, I'm not bashing them, but they are what they are...and that's more cosmetic than anything else. It's basically a Yukon with a different body...no more, no less.
The problem is the yukon and tahoe with a 6.0 liter tows 8500 lbs. This is what I don't understand. And the Hummer has a longer wheel base than the yukon and tahoe.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I towed my 33Powerplay with the H2, but my suburban 2500 tows a little better because of the wheel base.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyDT
Thanks everyone, I keep the boat at the water, just worried about 2 trips a year to the lakes in Kentucky. Can always rent something i guess.
The problem for you is, The trip down to Cumberland/dale hollow is all big hills and turns...It will push you around alot !

Towing up to Erie is a breeze for me. Straight flat...
The trip to Cumberland is always 'exciting"
Old 02-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I remember the first weekend I towed my 29 Fountain to Lake Cumberland with my 1500 Suburban (many years ago), I was at the Jamestown ramp and when I lined up my rig to to back in at the top of that daunting ramp (steep) it basically pulled me straight back down...no brakes on the trailer (they were surge and you know the problem there) and the brakes on the truck couldn't hold it...I basically just kept it locked up and it skidded slowly (and loudly) down the ramp, each time it would get a bit cocked I would let up off the brakes to steer it straight again, thankfully I knew how to back down and not have to correct...there was no room for mistakes. Once the boat reached the water (and thankfully there were no other people launching so I had a wide target) it took the weight off the truck and we made it...half way down I made my girlfriend (now wife) jump from the truck in case something went terribly wrong.

To make matters worse when towing home at after the weekend I was going north on I-75....going down that big hill into Cincinnati (Suicide Hill)...it's been redesigned since and isn't nearly as steep...my entire brake system went out and failed COMPLETELY....we were running about 75mph on a Monday's Labor Day Weekend traffic...contemplating putting the entire rig into the center concrete divider to slow us down or stop us if necessary...we were fortunate and ended up making it down without having to destroy the truck and boat.

Shortly there after I sold the Suburban and bought a Centurian (remember the one ton Bronco style four doors that were convereted Fords?)...that pulled like a beast, but I decided to quit trailering and dry docked my boat on Lake Erie...smartest thing I ever did in my opinion. Oh the memories of trailering!!
Old 02-11-2010, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SLINGSHOT
I towed my 25 baja outlaw.... struggled
I dont get it. This post should be the Hummer is a great tow vehicle as long as you do not encounter a hill. Also the thing is stupid on fuel. The 1500's with 2 snowmobiles go 240 miles easy on one 24 gallon tank of fuel. The hummer takes two full tanks of fuel at 32 gallons. I told my buddy you want to take your Hummer good luck to you! Thaty truck is a joke. Yeah maybe GM made changes. This 2003 is garbage.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pro1
I dont get it. This post should be the Hummer is a great tow vehicle as long as you do not encounter a hill. Also the thing is stupid on fuel. The 1500's with 2 snowmobiles go 240 miles easy on one 24 gallon tank of fuel. The hummer takes two full tanks of fuel at 32 gallons. I told my buddy you want to take your Hummer good luck to you! Thaty truck is a joke. Yeah maybe GM made changes. This 2003 is garbage.
wow 64 gal to go 240 miles? that 3.75 mpg! you got other problems! like a big fuel leak. since when does the hi- performance crowd care about fuel milage? i personaly like a HUGE carbon footprint

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.