Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
What do you tow with an 08 or newer Ford Expedition? >

What do you tow with an 08 or newer Ford Expedition?

Notices

What do you tow with an 08 or newer Ford Expedition?

Old 04-01-2010, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you tow with an 08 or newer Ford Expedition?

I have a 1987 35' Cafe Racer. I believe that the weight is between 9,000 - 10,000 lbs. +/-, not including the weight of the trailer. According to the tow guide, a 2WD 2007 Expedition has a 9,100 lb. tow rating. If I was looking at the tow guide correctly, it appears that a 2WD 2500 Chevy and the F-250 have tow capacities in the same ball park of the Expedition.

Really, all I need to do is get the boat home. Well, at the dry storage facility anyway. It's roughly a 60 mile trip.
Old 04-01-2010, 04:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by ajacobazzi
I have a 1987 35' Cafe Racer. I believe that the weight is between 9,000 - 10,000 lbs. +/-, not including the weight of the trailer. According to the tow guide, a 2WD 2007 Expedition has a 9,100 lb. tow rating. If I was looking at the tow guide correctly, it appears that a 2WD 2500 Chevy and the F-250 have tow capacities in the same ball park of the Expedition.

Really, all I need to do is get the boat home. Well, at the dry storage facility anyway. It's roughly a 60 mile trip.
Can it pull it? yes, my concern would be stopping and the weight rating on the hitch..also check your local dmv on your plate restrictions..a regular car plate is only good for xxx amount of weight and the local officer will give you a ticket for over weight..here in chicago i think the weight on a regular plate is 8000 pounds..also if your not using a weight distribution hitch you may be over on the hitch rating and believe me they will bend and brake..
Old 04-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
Can it pull it? yes, my concern would be stopping and the weight rating on the hitch..also check your local dmv on your plate restrictions..a regular car plate is only good for xxx amount of weight and the local officer will give you a ticket for over weight..here in chicago i think the weight on a regular plate is 8000 pounds..also if your not using a weight distribution hitch you may be over on the hitch rating and believe me they will bend and brake..
Thank you for the reply. I'm originally from Chicago......I miss it there. I live in Florida, but, Chicago is home. Go to Portillo's for me tonight! LOL!!

We don't have different plates here like Chicago does. Let's see, if I remember correctly, pick-up trucks have "B" plates, right? And stay off Lake Shore Drive and Blvds. too?

I have a factory towing package, so I'd imagine that the hitch is rated for the tow rating of the vehicle, would that be a safe assumption?

As far as the braking issue, wouldn't the trailer brakes make up for any loss from the vehicle?
Old 04-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you for the reply. I'm originally from Chicago......I miss it there. I live in Florida, but, Chicago is home. Go to Portillo's for me tonight! LOL!!

We don't have different plates here like Chicago does. Let's see, if I remember correctly, pick-up trucks have "B" plates, right? And stay off Lake Shore Drive and Blvds. too?

I have a factory towing package, so I'd imagine that the hitch is rated for the tow rating of the vehicle, would that be a safe assumption?

As far as the braking issue, wouldn't the trailer brakes make up for any loss from the vehicle?
That is not a safe assumption on the Receiver.... I have an 08 ram 3500 and it's tow rating is GCWR of 24,000 and a rating of 13,900lbs on the tag along and it came with a 10,000 lb hitch. Same crappy hitch as my 2005 had on it. I put a 18,000 class V titan with a 2 1/2" receiver on and feel much more comfortable my load is going to stay connected.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:33 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I've seen a number of F350's with 5,000lbs rated hitches on dealer lots....why, I have no idea. Just don't assume yours is enough. An aluminum trailer will be around 2,000 lbs, a steel will be over 3,000 easy...plus fuel and gear. Considering those old Cafe's were heavy boats (probably more than you listed) I bet you'll be pulling around 14-15,000. If you do it, stay OFF the highway and go slow enough that people are flipping you off as they pass.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

I am not one of those guys who blow things out of proportion or get all jazzed up over Tow Capacities but WOWZER - I tow my Cafe with an F350 diesel Dually, and I can promise you it is the smallest truck I will EVER own. That cafe is 10k plus fuel, plus the trailer, plus the gear. I assume that I consistently run around in the 14k range.

That Expedition will have a hard time controlling that boat - REALLY!!!

It will have a hard time getting it going and it will have a real hard time stopping it. I would be careful, or see if there is someone on here with the right truck who would yank it for you.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by seafordguy
I am not one of those guys who blow things out of proportion or get all jazzed up over Tow Capacities but WOWZER - I tow my Cafe with an F350 diesel Dually, and I can promise you it is the smallest truck I will EVER own. That cafe is 10k plus fuel, plus the trailer, plus the gear. I assume that I consistently run around in the 14k range.

That Expedition will have a hard time controlling that boat - REALLY!!!

It will have a hard time getting it going and it will have a real hard time stopping it. I would be careful, or see if there is someone on here with the right truck who would yank it for you.
Thank you everyone for the insight. I suppose, the easiest, safest and smartest thing to do is to have the dealer deliver the boat to the marina for me.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you everyone for the insight. I suppose, the easiest, safest and smartest thing to do is to have the dealer deliver the boat to the marina for me.
A good decision. Anything can happen in 60 miles and you do NOT want to be in an accident overloaded.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:09 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

A expedition does not have enough suspension, wheelbase, brakes, or powertrain to do this.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:14 PM
Registered

I used to tow a Formula 312 with a Lincoln Navigator......similar truck to the Expedition. It had that auto leveling airbag suspension which was cool. I upgraded the factory hitch to a 15K hitch, but really......it was not a good thing. I had surge brakes....not too fun. Wasn't probably legal and if something would have happened.....probably wouldn't have been covered.

These pics will give you an idea.
Attached Thumbnails What do you tow with an 08 or newer Ford Expedition?-p0001120.jpg   What do you tow with an 08 or newer Ford Expedition?-p0000397-w.jpg  

Last edited by PhantomChaos; 04-01-2010 at 11:16 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.