Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Towing 46 BT...Need insight and "Lessons Learned" >

Towing 46 BT...Need insight and "Lessons Learned"

Notices

Towing 46 BT...Need insight and "Lessons Learned"

Old 04-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing 46 BT...Need insight and "Lessons Learned"

Hello All,

I need your input...I will be towing a 46 BT to various fun/poker runs this season, which is a first for me...I have a 2005 Ford F350 4x4 Dually as a tow rig. I'd like to know any info. you can give, regarding set-up, gear, "words of wisdom" and especially any "Lessons Learned" stories..and What kind of tow/hauling/rig set-up do you have???

BTW...How much does both a 46 EC and the trailer weigh?? And do you need a CDL and/or special permits to tow???

Thank,

Divenstar .

BTW...
Old 04-08-2010, 08:17 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 593 Likes on 273 Posts

I think you need a Bigger truck!! Those are some BIG MOFOs
Old 04-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Several things to check on before you head out on your first trip:
1. Check your overall length. Many of our states impose a 65 feet overall length when using a truck/semi trailer combination. You will need to use a truck-tractor as your power unit to utilize the other combination length measurement of 59 feet semi-trailer with no truck-tractor measurment. This is the formula used for the 18 wheeler style combination length. You are wondering.."what is the difference between truck and truck-tractor??". A truck has a bed (load bearing surface), a truck-tractor does not. A semi-trailer is any style trailer that does not have a front axle installed to make the trailer self-standing. Your boat trailer is a semi-trailer, because the tongue will fall to the ground when detached from the coupler. It is not self supported with a front axle.

2. Check the GVWR ratings of your power unit and towed units. Add the numbers together to determine your combined gross vehicle weight ratings. Check with your state jurisdiction to determine at what point CDL us required. My state requires CDL when GVWR numbers exceed 26000 pounds. Some of our states adopted Part 383 of the FMCSR which require CDL at 10000 pounds. It is important to check with your state authority.

3. Provided you are "not in commerce" when you are travelling with your boat, you should not be subject to the remaining subchapters of the FMCSR relating to hours of service, driver qualifications, etc.

Hope this limited information helps....its what I do!!!
Old 04-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Registered

That is some detailed information Barrydet provided you.

Some other areas you may also need to consider is width. If I remember correctly Black Thunders may be over 8'6". If so, some states my require "oversize permits". But the rules are sometimes different when it comes to "Not for Hire". Better to find out now than on the side of the interstate with a Trooper. Some of those fines can be quite costly.

When it comes to driving tips... this is what I can pass along after driving semis weighing 80,000+ pounds. Drive three or four truck lengths ahead! Drive your mirrors! Know who and what is around you at all times!

Also.... braking is a result of poor planning. Read the traffic flow and keep a safe distance so you can adjust you speed. Keep in mind brake fade when you are driving in the hills. When you are hot and heavy it is a threat you should be aware of and again going back to braking is a result of poor planning.

Lastly.... ALWAYS KEEP ALL YOUR TIRES ON PAVEMENT! I found out the hard way and I was very lucky I was able to keep the truck and trailer up right on a two lane Arkansas road after missing my turn.

Hope this helps and safe travels.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:09 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're going to need;

Bigger brakes, at least 14" rotors and 3-piston calipers, plus an exhaust brake. You have to be able to stop that heavy load and your factory brakes are NOT up to the job.

Beef up your transmission with a triple disc torque converter and billet input/output shafts.

A Gear Vendors auxiliary underdrive transmission for closer gearing so the motor doesn't lose too much rpms during shifting which can build up your EGTs and damage your motor and transmission.

Bigger intercooler.

Aftermarket intake manifold for more air.

Twin turbos.

Snow water/methanol system. More power better fuel mileage and less EGTs.

4" turbo-back stainless steel exhaust system.

Rear air bags or helper springs.

If the trailer is not a gooseneck have it converted. At 17,000-18,000lbs you will be WAY over the factory tow rating for your receiver hitch.

All of this will cost you close to $15,000. If you don't want to go through all these upgrades, trade for an F650 with the Cat or Cummins motor or an F450 with the 6.4 and 4.88 gears which is rated to tow 24,000lbs. That's what I would do because if you have an accident your F350 will be overloaded according to your factory specs and your insurance company and they will deny your claim.

Last edited by Catmando; 04-09-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:42 PM
Registered

I have a Fountain 47 Sport Cruiser which is about the same size and weight as a 46 Black Thunder. The boat weighs 14,800 dry and empty but the boat and trailer weigh just over 20,000 with 1/4 fuel and relatively little on board. I have towed it with everything from a 3500 Duramax to a Class 8 Truck. It was too much for the 3500 and I only towed it a very short distance once. I now have a Ford F450 with a 6.4 diesel and 4.88 rearend. I have been very happy with this. It actually tows better than the bigger trucks which tended to bounce a lot even on smooth roads because the weight was way too light.
You will be over weight with the 350 dually, even with a gooseneck and will be considerably within ratins with a 450 (gooseneck). If you only want to use the truck as a tow vehicle, it may be reasonable to get a bigger truck (e.g. 650or larger), but this would be very impractical to use as a daily driver. My 450 works great as a tow vehicle and as a daily driver (although the milage isn't good--12 mpg not towing, 8mpg towing).
Having said all of this, the most important factor is following distance. Give yourself enough time to react and safely stop. Also be very attentive to other vehicles. The only times I have been concerned about stopping are when a car crosses lanes (usually a tiny subcompact while the driver is talking on a cell phone). There are some instances that will cause danger of an accident that cannot be avoided, usually because of inattentive drivers. If you are overloaded, you will be at fault, even if it was the other driver's error.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:16 AM
VIP Member

Get airbags installed on rear axle with the ability to adjust the air pressure from inside the truck. They will make the truck drive better and keep it better balanced so your brakes will work properly.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:43 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Smitty
Get airbags installed on rear axle with the ability to adjust the air pressure from inside the truck. They will make the truck drive better and keep it better balanced so your brakes will work properly.
Or this product... my friend and I both have this on our trucks and it makes a big difference.

http://www.roadmasterok.com/

If anyone does look into this just make sure you do your home work on the part numbers. I had a shop try and sell me the wrong kit.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:58 PM

OMG dont scare this guy to death..... I have a 46ec. I have towed it with my 3500 duramax duallie. You have to pay attention to braking and make sure your trailer brakes are working and adjusted properly. I towed it from chgo to miami with a kodiac 4500. Not much difference. We tow it now with a pete 379 with a 450 cat. Doesn't even know its back there.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was just trying to help him cover all his bases for safety and power as well. The five things he REALLY needs are;

1. Exhaust brake

2. Active suspension(better than air bags);
http://www.roadmasterok.com/

3. upgrade the transmission

4. Water/methanol system to keep his engine cool

5. Convert the trailer to gooseneck

The rest are recommended but he can do without.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.