Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
California Smog Cert for Diesels >

California Smog Cert for Diesels

Notices

California Smog Cert for Diesels

Old 04-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
Default California Smog Cert for Diesels

I just got a notification for my 06 F-350 that I need a smog cert for registration renewal....wow what about the chipped smokin' altered fords? mine is stock...sheez
Old 04-28-2010, 11:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smog

hi there us no written law just yet all that they need to do is look to see what u have and thats it . Ca will not anything in law until 2012 for any diesel. Iknow this because my friends all have equipment and tractors and there is not any requirement yet for them so u dont have to worry.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fossil fuel
I just got a notification for my 06 F-350 that I need a smog cert for registration renewal....wow what about the chipped smokin' altered fords? mine is stock...sheez
Yeah, I've read all about that- or at least all there is to read... its a bunch of crap, imo.

The deal on it from what I've read:
Its been signed into law.. its an every other year inspection... the target it light and medium duty trucks... testing involves 540,000 vehicles... brand new diesels are not exempt for the 6yrs like gassers...

The smog test invoves a visual inspection of components- this test is pretty subjective, but from what I understand they are looking for aftermarket parts (turbos, air filters- none of which are CA cert) and when they find them its up to the inspector to decide if you pass or fail. They also will be checking the obd II connection to see if there has been any history of fault codes being cleared.... its only after you pass both the visiual and OBD test that you'll get a chance at the "snap idle" test.

This "snap idle" test involves running the engine up to 2000rpm and then "snapping" it up to 3000rpm... its a visual smoke test. What a buch of BS!!!! The inspectors watch a video showing them whats acceptable and whats not. Its up to them to make the judgement on how much smoke is too much....

Get out while you still can! I love Cali, but no way in hell I'd ever live there because of all the BS like this.... if you like to play with diesels, I hope you've saved all your stock parts somewhere- you're gonna need them.

What really pisses me off about this law is that other states usually implement the cali smog laws.... NY, Maine, VT, Mass- hope you guys don't like big hp diesels too much cause I feel like it might be coming for you next. History shows those states pretty much follow cali's lead. I've felt like this has been coming for a while, but I really hate to see it.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Registered

Hopefully the link will work: http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...tate-soon.html

I read all the info I found on it back in late Jan in the issue of Turbo Diesel Register... maybe some stuff has changed since then becasue it was a brand new law at that time?
Old 04-29-2010, 06:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear the Feds will be looking for the DPF and EGR deletes next year...
Old 05-22-2010, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

I called the sales department at Banks Engineering. The salesman told me that all of their performance equipment was California tested and approved!! He assured me that it would pass california smog testing. When did I want to make a appointment to have it installed...This sounds BS to me.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:07 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Just move to Kentucky, our politicians drive chipped diesels. Seriously, legislators have gone too far. They're not going to be happy in California until everyone is driving electric cars.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a PO Box and register elsewhere