Notices

Ford Vs. Chevy. Gasser duallys

Old 05-05-2010, 09:06 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by fantastixvoyage
Mild Thunder - how about a diesel at gasser price?! Best of both worlds!!!

'97 GMC turbo diesel with about $8500 in new parts. I'll take $7500. White, crew cab, 4x4, auto, etc. Great option for what you are looking to do.

While some knock the 6.5 in comparison to the duramax like you stated the newer diesels are pricey to repair while the 6.5 is cheap and simple. If you can work on a 454 you will be right at home

This truck has all the goodies like SS diesel heads, marine injectors, rebuilt turbo, performance filter, newer trans rebuild, etc. etc. Let me know if you want more details on it.
I can't complain about the 6.5 - Mine had 280+k on it when I bought it off the side of the road on the way up to Connecticut to buy my Cafe Racer, and I sold it with 296k I believe. Mine was in rough shape when I sold it had the metal showing on 4 tires, was teal green, had a hole in the exhaust and the synchros in 2nd gear were NON-existant and i got 4500 for it so i would think yours sounds like a decent deal.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

This is a good thread... I'm in a bit of a predicament and feel I need a truck...

I have an 01' Suburban 2500 6.0L and need something that can/will pull the Apache.

here's the problem, my Burban only has 92K miles on it and it's an 01'. Everything I see that's diesel in that year range has well over 150K miles and the prices are much higher...

I want to do an even swap, I'm not looking to spend money. I'm not even sure if this is possible but hey, we can try can't we...

So I'm looking for a Chevy/Ford in a similar year range that I can flip my Suburban and buy the new truck.... minimal cash out of pocket, like less than $1K.

any suggestions?

Frank
Old 05-05-2010, 10:04 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a powerstroke ford now, (non dually).

If the truck and powertrain are still in good shape I advise you to keep it rather than buy a gas motor truck. The 7.3 is a great motor and easily repaired. And you can always put a dually axle on it...
Old 05-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
I have a powerstroke ford now, (non dually).

If the truck and powertrain are still in good shape I advise you to keep it rather than buy a gas motor truck. The 7.3 is a great motor and easily repaired. And you can always put a dually axle on it...
Mines a 2004 6.0 crew cab short bed. I did have the same truck with the 5.4 gasser, and towed 7500 lbs with it. I admit is was underpowered. 5k rpms up hills in loto.

The 6.0 powerstroke has tons of power, which is nice to have. But i am more into the stability and brake part of towing. Driving the big rig at 80k lbs is what im used to. Heavy as hell, but stable. Coming from a stop light or merging on to the highway or going up grades at 80k lbs is SLOOOOOOOOOW going. Im sure if BZ pulled up next to my semi when im loaded, and him in his V10 ford loaded with his 42 Fountain, would pull away like im standing still. I think we have all gotten spoiled with the power of the new diesels, especially when chipped up and stuff.

Wanna line em up bz? You win and I'll return your Fountain jacket lol
Old 05-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Mild Thunder - I had a 1997 Chevy Dually 3500, and now own a 2000 F350.

BOTH were Diesels - BUT, the ford was MUCH more capable of handling the load, particularly STOPPING it. It was truely a world of difference the first time I hooked up the boat to the FORD.
This is exactly the info im looking for. I have heard the mid-late 90's GM's had sub par braking systems. That I do not like.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
This is exactly the info im looking for. I have heard the mid-late 90's GM's had sub par braking systems. That I do not like.
Yep.

Obviously the 7.3 Ford out accelerated the 6.5 Diesel - but again this isn't of importance for 2 reasons - 1-You aren't looking at diesels so it is moot. 2-acceleration is the least important piece of towing in my mind.

The chevy fell WELL short in the braking category. It was an incredible difference, and now I would be scared to go back.

FYI - the 7.3 diesels are very easy to work on, and 150k miles on a dedicated tow vehicle probably shouldn't scare you. Lots of them floating around with several hundred thousand miles that have never had any major work done, and some of which have never had anythign other than oil and filters. They are rough on front suspension parts though.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MT - One thing that makes people think that are "sub-par" is if you are coming from a gasser they have a much different feel as they are hydraulic assisted off the power steering pump (no vacum on a diesel). While the dually stopped just fine it did have a "weird" feel to it until you get used to it. I just put on a new master cylinder as I found a small leak where it mounted. Already has newer pads, rotors, etc so curious to see how it will do now.

Front suspension/steering is a good point on the 1-ton. All new as well

And I won't even charge ya extra for the Chicago Powerboat Club sticker in the back window
Attached Thumbnails Ford Vs. Chevy. Gasser duallys-gmc.jpg  

Last edited by fantastixvoyage; 05-05-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Mines a 2004 6.0 crew cab short bed. I did have the same truck with the 5.4 gasser, and towed 7500 lbs with it. I admit is was underpowered. 5k rpms up hills in loto.

The 6.0 powerstroke has tons of power, which is nice to have. But i am more into the stability and brake part of towing. Driving the big rig at 80k lbs is what im used to. Heavy as hell, but stable. Coming from a stop light or merging on to the highway or going up grades at 80k lbs is SLOOOOOOOOOW going. Im sure if BZ pulled up next to my semi when im loaded, and him in his V10 ford loaded with his 42 Fountain, would pull away like im standing still. I think we have all gotten spoiled with the power of the new diesels, especially when chipped up and stuff.

Wanna line em up bz? You win and I'll return your Fountain jacket lol
Well the 6.0 is a POS, not worth hopping up IMO but it can be done. And when(not if) it blows up you can drop a Cummins in. For stability you can use an equalizer hitch and upgrade your brakes for stopping, plus a trailer brake controller.

I'm saying all this because IMO trading a diesel for a gas motor is a step backward, even if the diesel is a 6.0. It's better to upgrade what you have. Think about it.

Last edited by Catmando; 05-06-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
This is a good thread... I'm in a bit of a predicament and feel I need a truck...

I have an 01' Suburban 2500 6.0L and need something that can/will pull the Apache.

here's the problem, my Burban only has 92K miles on it and it's an 01'. Everything I see that's diesel in that year range has well over 150K miles and the prices are much higher...

I want to do an even swap, I'm not looking to spend money. I'm not even sure if this is possible but hey, we can try can't we...

So I'm looking for a Chevy/Ford in a similar year range that I can flip my Suburban and buy the new truck.... minimal cash out of pocket, like less than $1K.

any suggestions?

Frank

Keep it. I tow a 11.660lbs boat with my Yukon 2500 and have towed it coast to coast. Awesome towing vehicle. I do have the 8.1 and love the power despite being a gasser. Your 6.0 won't win any races towing the Apache but all you have to do is to leave home a tod earlier....
Old 05-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Indy
I've had a Ford F350 7.3PSD and presently have the V10. The V10 pulled my 33' PowerPlay well but lacked the torque on the highway for acceleration and hills (not mountains, just hills), it was ok on the flats. There definitely was a difference between the two. You might want to check Ford-Trucks.com on the vintage V10 you're looking at. The 2 valve which is what I think your 2000 would have had some issues with plug blow-out and doesn't have the power of the newer three valve. There's tons of info on that site regarding the V10 and they even have a forum dedicated to it...check it out and all of your questions will be found.

In all, I'm glad I have the V10, I'll not be pulling a boat the size of my 33 again so I'm happy to be rid of the 7.3. I'm with ya on the diesel repairs, big bucks no doubt. The V10 is great for what I need it for because the other gasser option is the 5.4 which I'm not crazy about in a truck the size of a Super Duty. Good luck.
the 5.4s had this problem too..my ex girlfriend had an 02 expedition and on a trip from DE to TX (empty) it blew one of the spark plugs out, taking the threads from the head with it. Thus, needing a new head. Its a VERY common problem, which is probably why you can find them for 4500 in good shape. I have heard of the V10s having this problem also...not a good thing to have when the engine is under load pulling your boat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.