Notices

help with some terms for a newb

Old 05-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with some terms for a newb

Maybe if/when this gets an answer, it'll be a stickey...

I have a Jeep GC Limited, it's an 05, and i'm pulling a 05 Fountain 27 fever behind it, or rather, i'm planning on it. The weight of the boat is supposed to be 4500lbs, and the jeeps tow rating in the owners manual says that its 5500 lbs. so... it seems i should be fine.

But some questions, what is 'weight distributed' trailering, and how do you identify if my trailer/truck/hitch is 'weight distributing'?

How do you determine tongue weight.

what are axle ratios? are they important to me? why? how do i find mine?

How do you know what 'class' your hitch is.... mine came installed from JEEP.

I'm planning on going some distance.... from NY to NH, so.... any tips i should be aware of...? i remember the first time i towed a trailer, i almost blew through the EZ-Pass lane on the interstate... can't use EZ pass with a trailer... they count axles. whups.

Yes, i'm a newb.... be gentle.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm no fountain expert, but 4500 lbs sounds awful light for a 27 fever. Maybe a dry, empty boat. Don't forget the weight of the trailer, fuel, accessories, safety equipment, and beer. Then you must consider the cargo in the Jeep.

You might find that your are exceeding the rating very quickly.

There is some really good info here on weight distributing hitches, and determining tongue weight, etc.

This should get you started. Good Luck!

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-weightdistribution.aspx
Old 05-10-2010, 01:24 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I will also add that I would be willing to bet you do not have a weight distributing hitch. I have only seen one boat trailer that was set up that way, it is not common. I believe you must use electric brakes with that set up as well, but I could be wrong.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You will not be able to tow that boat with that truck legally or safely. Sorry.

Trailer will weight at least 1250 lbs.
Fuel is 6 lbs. a gallon
Water is 8 lbs. a gallon

Then you have fenders, lines, tools, spare parts, stereo equipment, batteries, anchors, and all the other crap we carry when boating.

You will need at LEAST a 1/2 ton truck.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:55 PM
Registered

lol, ok, so i guess i should look for a truck stop where i can weigh my boat and gear while everything is on the trailer. I do know that my trailer has electric brakes on it, and i just had the jeep wired to control electric trailer brakes.

thanks for the link... i'll start there.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Registered

good reading... anyone know how i can find out what hitch is on my jeep? that way i can do some research via google and find out more about it, limitations and etc...
Old 05-10-2010, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best suggestion I can give is make sure your life insurance is paid up. If you ever need to pull a full blown panic stop with that rig, it won't end well is my bet.

5500 MAX GROSS is exactly that.MAXIMUM.

you will be way over that fully loaded and the short wheel base of that GC is going to become very evident very quickly.

Not trying to be funny. Trying to save your or some one elses' life.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:18 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 591 Likes on 271 Posts

Right on the money! We HAD a commander (POS by the way)
with the HEMI not much smaller than the GC, wouldnt pull my pair of Seadoos worth a chit! Get a Truck or smaller boat
Old 05-13-2010, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Danedee:

The hitch will have a sticker on it with the limits. You are undoubtedly beyond those limits with the Fountain.

Wannabe
Old 05-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Registered

My wife has an 06 jeep GC just like yours. We towed our old baja 23 outlaw which weighted 4400 lbs dry to the launch a couple of times. The launch is only three miles from the house, and even on a short distance it felt uncomfortable. The engine in the jeep isn't the problem. The suspension and the vehicle weight are just to light for that much towing weight. The boat would cause the front end of the jeep to lift everytime you hit a bump, and the breaks are undersized as it is on jeeps.

Don't chance it, get atleast a half ton truck and the ride will be much more enjoyable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.