Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
??-4 Trailer Bearing Experts ??? >

??-4 Trailer Bearing Experts ???

Notices

??-4 Trailer Bearing Experts ???

Old 06-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Registered

Location: Where the water meets the oaks 'n Pines in the Sierra Nevada's of NorCal
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ??-4 Trailer Bearing Experts ???

it is time to inspect, repack or replace my bearing on my 3-axle. 5 years old since new. Heavy load 12k, about 5k miles since purchased new.
Please look at the pics and advise. Could not see any numbers but the seal states 'china' so i am assuming these are chinese bearings.
The questions i have
-they look to me that it is time to replace mainly becaue of the discoloration: AM I CORRECT IN MY ASSUMPTION?
-the cages around the rollers in the corners appear stressed:AM I CORRECT IN MY ASSUMPTION OR IS THIS NORMAL?
-the bearing race also appears to be discolored:AGAIN, REPLACE?
-i did not notice any flaking metal or rough edgesID I CATCH EARLY BEFORE IT WOULD START SELF DISTRUCTING?
-the inner race(large one) does not have a lip for me to pound out with a brass mandral: OR IS THERE ANOTHER WAY I REMOVE THEM LIKE HEATING THEM UP OR FREEZING?
IF SO, TECHNIQUE PLEASE on replacing races?
-AND, WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO PURCHASE QUALITY BEARINGS AND SEALS???
THOUGHTS???
Thank you

Old 06-05-2010, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy crap thats alot of rust on your hubs!!!! YES you need bearings and the discoloration would make want to see/inspect the spindle. I found that replacing the bearings and race's could cost more than replacing the whole hub assembly with bearings. I spent $30 for 1 bearing and race and I found a complete Dexter hub w/ bearings,race,and seals for $62. its http://www.nueratrailerparts.com/ Cant beat that deal. Check them out.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:10 AM
instigator
Platinum Member

replace them all with TIMKEN USA parts

there is an offshore TIMKEN parts system so make sure you get the USA product
Old 06-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Registered

This will show you how to get the races out. Hope it is helpful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k2T79nHXgw
Old 06-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Registered

Location: Where the water meets the oaks 'n Pines in the Sierra Nevada's of NorCal
Thumbs up

wow guys, great stuff
appreciate the advise.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:03 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

thanks for the vid, helpful
Old 06-06-2010, 03:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tcuda499
... want to see/inspect the spindle. .... Check them out.
I wiped down the spindles and does not look like they got too overheated, no cracks or blueing but I may not be looking with a trained eye.
You guys tell me, can i get away with reusing these spindles?
thanks again!
not worried about rust as it cleans up very well <5yrs mainly fresh water

Old 06-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

All looks good to me, even the bearings look ok. That being said I would not put it together with the old stuff it does not cost that much to put it together with new stuff. If you have a NAPA store near you they should be able to hook you up with the good stuff. I have never had an issue with their bearings. If you ask nice they will probably even match them up for you. I had to do the same thing with my trailer. Just make sure you do not overtighten the castle nut when you put it back together (the nut that had the cotter pin going through it).
Old 06-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
All looks good to me, even the bearings look ok. That being said I would not put it together with the old stuff it does not cost that much to put it together with new stuff. If you have a NAPA store near you they should be able to hook you up with the good stuff. I have never had an issue with their bearings. If you ask nice they will probably even match them up for you. I had to do the same thing with my trailer. Just make sure you do not overtighten the castle nut when you put it back together (the nut that had the cotter pin going through it).
I'm no trailer expert but IMHO that doesn't look good to me. For the inner bearing races to discolor and the discolor in spindle something doesn't look right. I just repacked,replaced some bearings and 1 hub on my 8 year old trailer and it looked 100 X's better than that. May be way overkill but I would mic the spindles and see if there still in spec. better safe than sorry. Also, in 5K miles how many repacks where done?
Old 06-06-2010, 09:31 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO that is more then likely from the castle nut being overtightened when new. From the looks of the axle they never spun unless he cleaned them up with sandpaper before he shot the photos.

Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.