Notices

Sway bars Yes, or No

Old 06-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway bars Yes, or No

Friend of mine just bought a 28' Jayco. I told him he need sway bars to tow that thing and be safe. Got me thinking. I have a Sea Ray SLX 270 with the wake board tower, full fiberglass tower, not just tubular tower. Should I think about sway bars?
Old 06-17-2010, 08:36 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

One, define the hitch.

Weight distribution is "bars" which balance the load.

The sway "bar" is more a strut that restricts the bending motion of the truck/trailer connection making it less prone to sway. Coupled with a WD setup as defined above there are now 3 more connections between the truck and trailer.

The "Equalizer" hitch does as described above but with only the WD bars.

You can't use a sway bar with surge trailer brakes.
You can use a weight distribution hitch with surge brakes, BUT it must be set up perfectly.

Perfect world would be Electric over Hydraulic trailer brakes and you could run anything described above for weight distribution and/or sway control.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
One, define the hitch.

Weight distribution is "bars" which balance the load.

The sway "bar" is more a strut that restricts the bending motion of the truck/trailer connection making it less prone to sway. Coupled with a WD setup as defined above there are now 3 more connections between the truck and trailer.

The "Equalizer" hitch does as described above but with only the WD bars.

You can't use a sway bar with surge trailer brakes.
You can use a weight distribution hitch with surge brakes, BUT it must be set up perfectly.

Perfect world would be Electric over Hydraulic trailer brakes and you could run anything described above for weight distribution and/or sway control.
Thanks, I didn't even thing about the surge brakes. I guess that answers my question.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:29 PM
Registered

You "can" do it, but your chain length has to long enough for the trailer to surge and brake, but short enough to get a little bit of lift out of the bar. If you have the links set so tight that the they will prevent the trailer from moving forward and depressing the plunger then your tow vehicle is braking for 100% of the load. I like mine, but I would be much more comfortable with electronic brakes, but that's the next boat coming.

good luck
Old 07-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Registered

Been my experience as a guy who rolled a truck with a trailer in tow, if your not sure than "YES"!! When it comes to trailering too much is almost never too much. Just my $.02. BYW how do you like your SLX?