Notices

Trailering 400 SS

Old 06-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

2~3 bucks a mile long distance... thats a ballpark, you ca find cheaper and more expensive
Old 06-29-2010, 06:10 AM
Member #9
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

double trouble, where do you boat? Superior and Lk Michigan?

Just wondering.

Good luck with the purchase. The 400SS is a sweat ride
Old 06-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by double_trouble
I am trying to put together a deal on trading my '08 310 SS with trailer for a '06 400 SS. Not sure if it will happen but the gap is narrowing. I've always trailered boats and the 310 SS has been quite managable, though it is just from slip to slip, as I boat in two different areas. I do not launch everytime I go out! I am undecided about a trailer for a 400 SS. I know some guys do it, but it sounds quite challenging. So I am leaning towards no trailer and having the marina do the transporting when needed (probably involves about 30-35 hours of marina transport time a year as the two boating destinations are about 300 miles apart). If you trailer a 400 SS, I would be curious to know how challenging it has been for you to do on an occasional basis. The permit question is no problem here in Wisc., I already have one for six months.
Instead of investing $ 60,000 in a truck why not have a professional hauler do it if the trailering is so only 300 miles. Thats about $ 1,000 a year at 3/mile. Besides they have the right equipment. A trailer for that boat is going to be costly.

Wannabe
Old 06-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by double_trouble
OK, I won't be trailering anytime soon. Thanks for the great perpestive. We have a deal inked as of this afternoon, subject to a few things. Not going to worry about trailering now. What are reasonable rates to pay for transport? There is 300-390 miles each way for transport between ports. Any recommendations for companies in northern Wisconsin?
You're making the right choice here. What about the marina towing you mentioned? If that fell through, call Reliable Transport. Tom Abrams is an offshore racer and OSO member.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shipyard marine in Wisconsin is capable of towing a boat such as yours.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Tow

Nice! Thanks for the pic Pat

Last edited by bustedbrick; 09-13-2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bustedbrick
Nice! Thanks for the pic Pat
I think I would want the F650 or the Freightliner P2 to tow that boat. It's always good to have more truck than you need...
Old 06-29-2010, 10:07 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
I think I would want the F650 or the Freightliner P2 to tow that boat. It's always good to have more truck than you need...
Indeed...
Attached Thumbnails Trailering 400 SS-cars1.jpg  
Old 06-30-2010, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
I'm onboard with the idea that if some is good..........more is better.............and too much is just right.......... and a Frieghtliner or F650 would be nice but the F550 really does tow it with no problems at all. That picture is a bit decieving because of the angle. The boat looks like the Queen Mary being towed by a Ford Ranger in that picture but it's really not that bad. I have another from that same parking lot taken from the front and it makes the boat look like a 353 Fastech behind the truck. There's really no drama, never feels like too much load for the truck at all and at 21k lbs it's well within the limits of what the truck is capable of. Even the '08 thru '10 F450's have a 24k tow rating right from the factory I'm pretty sure and they are pretty much the same truck with just a little less rear spring.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by pat@osp
I'm onboard with the idea that if some is good..........more is better.............and too much is just right.......... and a Frieghtliner or F650 would be nice but the F550 really does tow it with no problems at all. That picture is a bit decieving because of the angle. The boat looks like the Queen Mary being towed by a Ford Ranger in that picture but it's really not that bad. I have another from that same parking lot taken from the front and it makes the boat look like a 353 Fastech behind the truck. There's really no drama, never feels like too much load for the truck at all and at 21k lbs it's well within the limits of what the truck is capable of. Even the '08 thru '10 F450's have a 24k tow rating right from the factory I'm pretty sure and they are pretty much the same truck with just a little less rear spring.
I agree..have done the same.. slow and steady, never in a hurry, and watch out for the other guy that cuts out in front of you..mostly the senior citizens that have nothing to do but are always in a hurry..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.