Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Trucks, Trailers and Transportation (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation-159/)
-   -   Putting motor oil in a diesel fuel tank (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/trucks-trailers-transportation/234105-putting-motor-oil-diesel-fuel-tank.html)

racer-x6 07-06-2010 07:52 AM

Putting motor oil in a diesel fuel tank

Someone said to put a quart of motor oil in every tank of Diesel, any truth or benefit to doing this?

seafordguy 07-06-2010 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by racer-x6 (Post 3151967)
Someone said to put a quart of motor oil in every tank of Diesel, any truth or benefit to doing this?

I have read about people putting in 2 stroke oil to help lubricate the injectors. I am sure it would lead to increased fuel filter changes.

I also know that a lot of people put hundreds and hundreds of thousands of miles on Diesel trucks without doing this so who knows if there is any real discernable benefit?

Fixxxer22 07-06-2010 09:55 AM

you runnin a ford with the HUEI system. (6.0,7.3) if so trans fluid is better. it can help lube the fuel side of the injectors and dilutes well in diesel fuel. I have an old 7.3 IDI party bus that has at least a half tank of trans fluid and the rest diesel. it gets 23mpg with 20 people in it and a bus driver with a lead foot. i have ran as much as 50% used trans fluid in my 6.0 without any problems. MPG falls off but its free. I work at a ford dealer and i will just empt the flush machine in my fuel tank. If you are running a common rail system i dont see much benefit. but mabye some of the cummins guys can chime in on that subject.

racer-x6 07-06-2010 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Fixxxer22 (Post 3152077)
you runnin a ford with the HUEI system. (6.0,7.3) if so trans fluid is better. it can help lube the fuel side of the injectors and dilutes well in diesel fuel. I have an old 7.3 IDI party bus that has at least a half tank of trans fluid and the rest diesel. it gets 23mpg with 20 people in it and a bus driver with a lead foot. i have ran as much as 50% used trans fluid in my 6.0 without any problems. MPG falls off but its free. I work at a ford dealer and i will just empt the flush machine in my fuel tank. If you are running a common rail system i dont see much benefit. but mabye some of the cummins guys can chime in on that subject.

no, just a 04 Duramax.

Run_em_hard 07-06-2010 11:05 AM

I know alot of guys that run the two-stroke. They have clamed better milage, less smoke and a quieter engine. Some also run a mixture of Power Service and two-stroke.

jafo 07-06-2010 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Run_em_hard (Post 3152140)
Some also run a mixture of Power Service and two-stroke.

been running my 7.3's that way for quite a long time, even before the advent of ULSD. Use a high-quality two-stroke ASHLESS oil. Not sure about smoking less-- I can lay a cloud if I put my foot in the chip, but it can quiet a 444 down a little, and helps lubricate the injectors. Eight ounces/10 gallons is plenty. Power Service is good stuff, if for nothing more than increasing the cetane number.
Lot of voodoo juices out there for diesel fuel- I use to run anything I could get my hands on (including 5606 hyd oil) when I was running free Jet A in all of my diesels. Transmission fluid? nahhh. Best stuff for lubricity these days is bio, if you can get your hands on it......

Good study here.....

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=177728

BattleCry 07-06-2010 12:26 PM

I run 3oz of automatic transmission fluid in my old 85 Chevrolet with a 6.2 diesel. Its still running today on the farm. It doesn't pull very well and is hard on 700r4 transmissions but, it has over 600,000 miles on it and is on its 4th injection pump.

waterboy222 07-06-2010 12:32 PM

After taking the advice I saw here, I started running used tranny fluid from our shop in my tank and didnt notice much difference other than the tailpipe being easier to clean after pushin the chip hard on long tows..

Ill keep doin it though!

outriggers 07-06-2010 02:12 PM

I run 1oz per gal of wal-mart 2 cycle in all my diesel stuff. I worry about the pumps with the ulsd diesel. Its so dry they add lube to the fuel so it doesn't wipe out the pumps. One batch with the lube missing makes for a bad day. I used to use Marvel M oil, but read a test where 2 cycle was better and cheaper. Always heard about using ATF but worry about turning the fuel Red. Doug