Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PickupTruck.Com Shootout!

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/08...-shootout.html
Old 08-17-2010, 06:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Was just going to post this up..THANKS FROGMAN... good reading, about 3 hours worth between cocktails. The winners were.....Ford in the 3/4 ton gas. and Chevy in the 3/4 ton diesel, and GMC Denalli in the 1 Ton dually with out traction control..

My take on it all. All 3 trucks are close with the exception Dodge didnt have the new generation or power at the time. Dodge did how ever have the best brakes, by 2 feet. Ford had the best cockpit. Gm did a great job in acceleration on their diesels. They were light by about 600 pounds and right there with Dodge, and the Fatty was Ford. Gm also out finessed Ford on take off with the least amount of wheelspin, making their traction control set up better than Ford. Ford's TC was like a light switch on or off, which caused the tires to spin on initial boost and then decreased boost drastically until wheels caught up. Ford then played catch up, but once going midrange and finsh was stronger by the numbers, and doing so with a 3.55 gear vs 3.73's on the GM and Dodge. The amazing thing was the GMC Denali with out traction control was the quickest diesel there.. couldn't figure that one out.....Towing 10-12k up 7-16% grades the Fords were better, and they used way less UREA than the GM. Mileage went also to GM by .5mpg. I feel that Ford sandbagged their power slightly on their orig. numbersbeing the fatty, and when the 400/800 version come out end of this month it will be very interesting. The problem will remain, if the traction control is not finenessed all that power to the ground will be forsaken. In real world tests none of this matters. We don't beat our trucks off the line like this, at least I dont. The pulling power once going is what matters to me, especially rowing through the gears getting on the freeway or pulling up a steep embakement. Secondly comfort of these truck is important, Im in there 8 hours daily, or about 40k per year. Thank you for competition, these diesls have come a long way. Jeff

Last edited by Jassman; 08-17-2010 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:10 AM
instigator
Platinum Member

I just got a 2010 C2500HD Z71 LTZ with a 6.0 gas VVT engine, 6 speed auto.... had many diesels b4 this as most know.... pretty darn happy so far.... played a LOT with a Diablo programmer over the weekend and between timing and fueling changes and premium fuel it really made a HUGE difference... can't say enough good about this setup... i've been in the diesel business for well over 30+ years and these new gas trucks may be the way to go if your towing under 10k.... I just am NOT going to spend another 8k for the diesel option that will take 1/4 million miles for the payback...
Old 08-17-2010, 07:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
I just got a 2010 C2500HD Z71 LTZ with a 6.0 gas VVT engine, 6 speed auto.... had many diesels b4 this as most know.... pretty darn happy so far.... played a LOT with a Diablo programmer over the weekend and between timing and fueling changes and premium fuel it really made a HUGE difference... can't say enough good about this setup... i've been in the diesel business for well over 30+ years and these new gas trucks may be the way to go if your towing under 10k.... I just am NOT going to spend another 8k for the diesel option that will take 1/4 million miles for the payback...
I know the diesel option is quite high.. but look at it from a different angle. When you trade in you most definately get that 8k back. You do get better fuel mileage and especially when towing with the new generation diesels..even though fuel cost is more. Depending on the model, the gas motors can be a white elephant, causing trade in to be even less than the 8k. This is just my take on it. Good Luck with your GM product. Jeff
Old 08-17-2010, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 886 Likes on 481 Posts

I still like a 1500 Crew Cab/5.3 motor for light hauling. The 1500's ride like Cadillacs compared to the 2500/3500's.

That Duramax/Allison option is a tough box to check at 8K+ especially if you don't need it!
Old 08-17-2010, 07:31 AM
instigator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
That Duramax/Allison option is a tough box to check at 8K+ especially if you don't need it!
exactly, I had a LLY Dmax b4 this and i'm very happy with my decision, and I tow less than 10k these days... my good buddy in middle TN owns both a Ford and a GM store, he gave me every key for his inventory, and I drove everything on both lots, gas and diesel, was 99% going to buy a 6.2 Ford, but after spending 1/2 day in it and 1/2 day in this I have no regrets whatsoever with my decision... handling, comfort, MUCH better climate control, and road feel is FAR better, quieter, lighter, faster... if this truck only had the step gate option, it would be even better... gas trucks are going to come back stronger than you think... a LOT of my customers are already ordering gas replacements...
Old 08-17-2010, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 886 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Jassman
I know the diesel option is quite high.. but look at it from a different angle. When you trade in you most definately get that 8k back. You do get better fuel mileage and especially when towing with the new generation diesels..even though fuel cost is more. Depending on the model, the gas motors can be a white elephant, causing trade in to be even less than the 8k. This is just my take on it. Good Luck with your GM product. Jeff
You will not always get the diesel money back especially if you kept it awhile. If comparing two identical 2004 trucks, one diesel/one gas both with 150K miles there will not be an 8K difference. However the guy that started the equation with the 8K savings account will be ahead of whatever the diesel truck gets on the trade-in. As the truck gets more used the 8K difference drops off especially if the buyer is scared of buying a set of injectors @ $400 each!
Old 08-17-2010, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

exactly, I had a LLY Dmax b4 this and i'm very happy with my decision, and I tow less than 10k these days... my good buddy in middle TN owns both a Ford and a GM store, he gave me every key for his inventory, and I drove everything on both lots, gas and diesel, was 99% going to buy a 6.2 Ford, but after spending 1/2 day in it and 1/2 day in this I have no regrets whatsoever with my decision... handling, comfort, MUCH better climate control, and road feel is FAR better, quieter, lighter, faster... if this truck only had the step gate option, it would be even better... gas trucks are going to come back stronger than you think... a LOT of my customers are already ordering gas replacements...
The only reason your customers are getting gas now to replace the diesels.. is cause the new gasengines and technology has somewhat caught up to the old diesels in performance and close in towing..but compared to the new diesels from GM and Ford..check the numbers out on the charts for comparision. I do agree if you are pulling less than 10k, its a great option, but pulling over that like the majority of us do, the diesels would be the only choice.

Jupiter, you are correct on 400. per injector.. but how many 150k gas trucks do you see that look and drive good and are worth anything. or who wants to take a risk...especially if you have to replace the motor, trans and rear end. I will say I just bought for my son a trade in. It was an 07 Chevy with 105k and driven by an elderly gentlemen from MS to New Orleans everyday. Truck was immaculent and I believe if I were driving it I could get easily another 100k out of her..but these are rare cases, especially someone who has the means and dicipline to maintain a vehicle.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I still like a 1500 Crew Cab/5.3 motor for light hauling. The 1500's ride like Cadillacs compared to the 2500/3500's.
Well, if you like the 1500/5.3L for light hauling you'll love the F-150/5.4L. This is coming from someone that has owned nothing but GM products (30 +) since 1979. No turning back for me now. F-150 hands down over the Chevy/GMC 1500.
Old 08-17-2010, 10:28 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be shopping for a 2011 Denali diesel 3/4 Crew 4x4 to replace my 2006 Duramax 4x4.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.