Notices

Maneuvering a boat

Old 08-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maneuvering a boat

I have a question about squeezing a boat around a tight turn so that I may store it at my shop and work on it over the winter. I have a 38 foot Chris Craft Stinger approximately 15000 pounds with trailer. I have seen forklifts lift and move them around boat yards. Is anyone familiar with moving a boat this size with a forklift and if so, how big of one do you need? I have to move it up and down a slight incline, but nothing crazy. Im open to other ideas as well. Any suggestions?
Old 08-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

small 4wd tractor works great too. (I have a kubota b7400)
Old 08-25-2010, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by E-rock
I have a question about squeezing a boat around a tight turn so that I may store it at my shop and work on it over the winter. I have a 38 foot Chris Craft Stinger approximately 15000 pounds with trailer. I have seen forklifts lift and move them around boat yards. Is anyone familiar with moving a boat this size with a forklift and if so, how big of one do you need? I have to move it up and down a slight incline, but nothing crazy. Im open to other ideas as well. Any suggestions?
I've used my 4000 lb capacity electric forklift to move my Formula 400ss around on its trailer in my building. Boat is a bit over 21,000 lbs on the trailer. Nice flat cement floor with no incline and it moves it fine. There is an incline coming up to the door and I don't think I'd trust it there...........I back it into the building with the truck. We do regularly move a 12k lbs twin axle boat and trailer in and out of the building going up and down that incline with the same forklift and have no problems at all.

I assume a triple axle trailer for your Chris Craft? Just be careful on any sharp turns because it'll be really side loading the tires on the trailer. I can't make any really hard turns with mine using the forklift and if you don't get it straight after a turn to get the side load off the tires you'll create a bind and the tongue will swing hard to the side as soon as you try to drop the forks out of the ball on the trailer...................don't ask me how I learned this Luckily I learned this on a small car trailer..............it could be ugly with a lot of weight.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pat@osp
I've used my 4000 lb capacity electric forklift to move my Formula 400ss around on its trailer in my building. Boat is a bit over 21,000 lbs on the trailer. Nice flat cement floor with no incline and it moves it fine. There is an incline coming up to the door and I don't think I'd trust it there...........I back it into the building with the truck. We do regularly move a 12k lbs twin axle boat and trailer in and out of the building going up and down that incline with the same forklift and have no problems at all.

I assume a triple axle trailer for your Chris Craft? Just be careful on any sharp turns because it'll be really side loading the tires on the trailer. I can't make any really hard turns with mine using the forklift and if you don't get it straight after a turn to get the side load off the tires you'll create a bind and the tongue will swing hard to the side as soon as you try to drop the forks out of the ball on the trailer...................don't ask me how I learned this Luckily I learned this on a small car trailer..............it could be ugly with a lot of weight.
Yeah its a triple axle trailer and that is the biggest problem that Im facing. I thought of trying to get some slides, like they use for moving a mobile home, but id like to figure out a way that isnt as much of a hassle, as id like to park it back there on a regular basis.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:37 PM
Registered

is the floor smooth? if so go-jacks might be the ticket
Old 08-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

You ought to be able to move it pretty easy as long as it is solid ground. If you need to slide the tires a bit, just wet down the floor. This will work much better on concrete vs. asphalt.

Some links to check out:
http://www.powerwheel-usa.com/
http://www.eztug.com/
http://www.powercaster.com/
http://www.powermoverinc.net/

Some of the Rental yards have these as well. I've seen them make a plate for the front of them with a trailer hitch on it for moving equipment. Dingo is what they are referred to:

Last edited by Sydwayz; 08-25-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:03 PM
don
Registered

If you are leaving this trailer in a yard and not driving it on the roads for a bit, If you want to remove the back axel tires and it will be so much easier to move it without hurting the tires or bearings. You can use a lawn tractor to move it if the trailer is balanced properly.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

wheel dollys under each tire so you can slide sideways
Old 08-28-2010, 07:58 AM
Registered

My brother and I got his 32 fountain in and out of a comercial builnging durring construction and after completeion with a set of GOOD wheel dollies. Be careful what you buy though because it took 3 sets to get something that would hold up to the strain of that size boat.

We also use my Bobcat 743 on occasion to move the boats around. It works pretty well but I think a tractor with Turning(steering) wheels would work better.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Registered
Gold Member
Platinum Member

Default Put a hitch on front of your truck

This is an old trick but it sure works for me. I installed a receiver on front of my F350. You can put the boat anywhere you want and can see what your doing. No need to buy a tractor or forklift if you don't have another need for those.

My building has a door in the middle and the boat goes to one side of the building, so I have to go in at an angle and then strighten it out.

I painted a line on the floor to follow that makes it just that much easier.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.