Notices

Drive guard on a trailer

Old 08-30-2010, 06:27 PM
Z06
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 509 SC
Laszlo, You may want to have Ron set-up your bow stop "below" your bow eye. Mine bow eye presently is about in the middle of the bow stop and when my boat "floats" off the trailer the bow drops and rubs the first chine below the rubrail which is where my paint starts on my boat. I've had some damage to the painted area so I'm going to lower the stop between the 2nd and 3rd chine. I wish I would of had him do a power tongue jack on mine, but he talked me out of it. Let me know how yours works out, I've got to have him add one. By the way, I have a 33' AT, so if you have the paint starting there, you'll want to look into that. Steve
Agreed, I could see where I also was going to have paint damage, so I had Ron build a new bow stop that was another 6" shorter & it probably should be even short so that as you stated would rest between the 2nd and 3rd chine.
I have a Manning steel and love the drive guard. Only draw back is the time to swing before launching. If I plan to pull the drives I open the drive guard before backing into the garage. I also had Ron put tie down loops on the inside of the drive guard about 1/2 way back to strap the boat transom loops. He may put these in anyways, but anything you want make sure to specify, I created a list of options to give him.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought of a couple things that scare the chit out of me w/ the driveguard. The ramps that I use are long and sloped gently, I almost always pull up to the dock, get the truck and back in and pull the boat onto the trailer - no problem, blood pressure stays normal. A couple of times I had a good friend meet me at the ramp and he would back the trailer in before I was at the dock, pretty normal in many parts of the country - I am always scared chitless that I am going to get the boat out of whack and scrape those two daggers sticking 4-5' past the bunks on the bottom of the boat. The other scenario is steep ramp w/ short dock. The beams of the guard will be pretty high up as you back down, make sure you don't poke one into the nice shiney bow of your boat. Just a couple things to be aware of when you start using your new trailer.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
You may want to make the drive guard removable.

Reason, going up a ramp into a facility that is at loading dock height would be nearly impossible.
The guard swings out of the way for loading on one side with a hinge as fas as i can see. Do you guys open it up when loading ? does it have a catch to hold it when in open position ?
Old 08-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The back opens like a side swing tailgate. The builder will usually put a pin hole all the way back 270* from it's original position to hold it open.

What I am referring to is traversing a steep grade. The tail ends of the frame rails are likely to drag the ground when transitioning up and down said grade.

OldSchool had a drive guard built for his aluminum I-beam trailer that is completely removable.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

You may want to make the drive guard removable.

Reason, going up a ramp into a facility that is at loading dock height would be nearly impossible.
Don't worry Pat would just have to get a good running start.

BTW very nice looking trailers
Old 08-30-2010, 10:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatfreak
Don't worry Pat would just have to get a good running start.

BTW very nice looking trailers
LOL good one.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:59 PM
Registered

Default only two major things to caution on....

one - dont forget to open the gate when you back in to retrieve your vessel.
two- it can drag on really uneven road surface or entering or exiting gas stations with big pitch differences.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Registered

Would you recommend those little wheels on the back under the rails ?
Old 09-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by laszlo01
Would you recommend those little wheels on the back under the rails ?
I vote for an airbag suspension on the trailer so you can lay frame too!
Old 09-09-2010, 06:17 AM
Registered

I vote for an airbag suspension on the trailer so you can lay frame too!
Then i would have to add spinners and under rail rope lights. lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.