Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
7.3l powerstroke how many miles is too much? >

7.3l powerstroke how many miles is too much?

Notices

7.3l powerstroke how many miles is too much?

Old 09-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
The 7.3's will run forever.. The new 6.0's are ****..

John jr
Please explain, I've owned both.

Sincerely,

Andy (Ford Service Manager)
Old 09-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Registered

John jr
Originally Posted by Magic Medicine

Sincerely,

I have owned both as well. A 2000 7.3 and currently have an 06 6.0 no major issues on either truck ever.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Registered

O and for the record the Ford quit using the 6.0 in pickups in 07, since then is was the 6.4 and for 2011 its the 6.7.

John jr

Sincerely,

Originally Posted by lawdocx3
I have owned both as well. A 2000 7.3 and currently have an 06 6.0 no major issues on either truck ever.
Same experience as mine. Acutally put about the same money in each truck and I have drivin my 04 more miles.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Sincerely,

Originally Posted by lawdocx3

Just from what I have seen my buddies go through with them.. 3 of my friends have had them on was a 04 and 2 07's All of them had the same issues and problems.. Head gaskets, also 1 had cracked a head.. Also injector issues.. Not saying that every single one is like that, but from 3 people I know having them, all having issues, I would never get one. But I am also biased to GM.. I still think the 7.3 is a superior engine to the 6.0..

John jr
Old 09-16-2010, 03:34 PM
Registered

we have a few tow trucks with 500k on them that get serviced at our dealer.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Registered

Just from what I have seen my buddies go through with them.. 3 of my friends have had them on was a 04 and 2 07's All of them had the same issues and problems.. Head gaskets, also 1 had cracked a head.. Also injector issues.. Not saying that every single one is like that, but from 3 people I know having them, all having issues, I would never get one. But I am also biased to GM.. I still think the 7.3 is a superior engine to the 6.0..

John jr
I run a GM store as well, and can tell you our Ford store sells about 50% more diesel trucks. Not saying the 6.0 didn't have its issues.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Registered

I sold my 02 7.3 superduty with over 210k on it and it drove perfect. original trans,turbo and all.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:40 PM
Registered

Default 7.3 all the way for reliability

I honestly never cared for ford or chevy products while growing up . WHen the first 7.3 powerstrokes came out in 97 our company picked up one for a shop truck. We had several 18 to mid 20's guys that drove it all day everyday , and of course back then they all loved it b/c of the power it had . For the time it was quite impressive. That truck got the living hell beat out of it everyday. Overloaded all the time ,everytime it left a stoplight or stopsign the gas pedal was on the floor. I remember seeing it loaded so hard that you could see it sagging in the middle behind the cab a little. It never stopped pulling . We put a tranny in it at 225K . I left that shop when the truck was approaching 310k. That was six years ago . They still use it. Not as much as they once did .But nontheless they do. Fast forward to a few years ago when I had a couple of bobcats that were too heavy to pull with my Titan, and wanted to buy a diesel for some extra transportation.
We have many hot shot drivers in our shop on a weekly basis, so I started asking questions to them about the dodges and Fords. It was reitterated over and over to go with 7.3 P/S, and when one came through with 680k miles on it ,I started speaking to the guy in depth, he told me he had only did a tranny repair at around 400k , I was sold.This was the day to find a f250 or f350, for an extra vehicle for myself. I was leaning toward a dually , and found one that was pretty reasonable in Texas, and bought sight unseen, well other than pics. The guy had known the truck for some time , and had only gotten it due to a friend owing him money , therefore , he did not know the real maintenance schedule on it. But said that it ran good. THis truck had 290k on it, and I decided to roll the dice . It arrived on a carhauler , and upon unloading and driving it home I could not believe how well it ran., But within a few weeks realized the dually was just to bumpy for me and a little rough unloaded. I put it out there to a few friends , and by word of mouth only sold it and made 1200 on it almost overnight. It was sold to a shop as well and I still see it on the road quite often.
I bought my current F250 crew cab lariat 4x4 a few weeks later,(bought it pretty much the same way other than email pictures it was sight unseen. I had to have it brought 14 hours to me by car hauler, buy felt super lucky to get it . Any even close to reasonably priced one was gone the day it was posted . Even the so so ones did not sit around long. I felt very fortunate to find one with just 155k on it and in great shape. It has given me flawless performance , and I really love it. In fact I have had quite a few very nice sports cars ,muscle cars, and My current boat , And I swear I do not think that I have gotten near the compliments on all of them combined as I have this truck. (althought this is small town america and definately truck country) . I vote Powerstroke all the way. I have never owned any other diesel other than this one, and am in no way bashing cummins or Duramax, Although HINO is another one I have personal experience with. At one time Toyota was speaking of teaming up with HINO to build a HD truck. I would buy one with out a shadow of a doubt ! this is just based off my personal experience. But I can Assure you that not one of the mileages or stories I have mentioned above is exxaggerated.
I have really gotten the hots for a f650 lately or an International, and am still researching which one to go with . But Am very seriously thinking of pursuing. If anyone is Interested in purchasing my current truck Email me at [email protected]
Old 09-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is good to hear about the 7.3's..... We have an '02, 7.3 Excursion 4x4 with about 96k miles on it now and never had a problem. It's all stock. I also get the urge to look at the F650's or a toter for the future....But it pulls the Gun great, so I don't complain.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
And you have a 6 speed right? 4spd autos will get worse mileage.
Yeah that's true Bryan - mine is a 6-Speed. It took an act of God to find a 6 Speed - 4X4 - Lariat - 4 Door in White....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.