Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Another Diesel Shoot Out

http://wardsauto.com/ar/ford_power_diesel_100920/
Old 09-24-2010, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the Duramax needs about 2,000 rpm to tow the trailer up a moderate grade. The Power Stroke conquers the same grade at the same speed at about 1,300 rpm.
Can anyone shed light on why? How different is the trans/axle gearing? Does Ford just keep the torque converter locked up and/or prevent a downshift?

They don't mention what mode the trans are in (Tow/Haul or not).
Old 09-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Registered

You know whats funny about ford and the new 6.7. they released the truck and the horsepower ratings. to keep the other two brands in the dark they waited until the last minute. then dodge and chevy release theirs. now, we have a re-cal for the trucks to up the horsepower and torque. ford was waitin and when they were all about even now we are re-programming the trucks for even more power! Gotta love it!
Old 09-24-2010, 10:41 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by handfulz28
Can anyone shed light on why? How different is the trans/axle gearing? Does Ford just keep the torque converter locked up and/or prevent a downshift?

The Duramax is very economical below 1900 rpm, once you get over that number, it starts to make the HP and economy slips.

I can run up to 79mph in 6th at 1900rpm without hurting the economy, anything over that and watch out.

As far as the article

"In 0-60 acceleration runs with 10,000-lb. trailers supplied by GM, the Ram was outgunned badly by its rivals. And as good as the new Power Stroke is, GM’s Duramax consistently delivered the fastest times.

The Sierra Denali sprinted to 60 mph in 8.42 seconds without a trailer, 20.27 seconds with. The Super Duty needed 9.4 seconds to reach 60 mph trailer-free and 20.4 seconds with the trailer."

the numbers speak for themselves.

Last edited by Wobble; 09-24-2010 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Wobble
The Duramax is very economical below 1900 rpm, once you get over that number, it starts to make the HP and economy slips.

I can run up to 79mph in 6th at 1900rpm without hurting the economy, anything over that and watch out.

As far as the article

"In 0-60 acceleration runs with 10,000-lb. trailers supplied by GM, the Ram was outgunned badly by its rivals. And as good as the new Power Stroke is, GM’s Duramax consistently delivered the fastest times.

The Sierra Denali sprinted to 60 mph in 8.42 seconds without a trailer, 20.27 seconds with. The Super Duty needed 9.4 seconds to reach 60 mph trailer-free and 20.4 seconds with the trailer."

the numbers speak for themselves.
Both great trucks.. I own both.. The difference is at a heavier load.. 12k.. for about the same 20 or so seconds.. and neither truck regans, the Ford will be 1/2 a truck ahead with identicle trailers.. The GM makes more noise under acceleration, and its tranny shifts harder and faster, wheres Ford to me could shift slightly quicker.. that will be in the next flash.. refinements.. like I said, either way you go you will be pleased.. Now Dodge has 2 new benchmarks to get ready for the 2012 model year.. Gotta love this.. Jeff
Old 09-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Registered

tag to find it to read later. I wish my drive home didn't go right by the ford dealer every day......
Old 09-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by handfulz28

the converter should only lock up in overdrive. the ford that they used for the testing also had 3.55 gears. and yes, i would assume with towing a 10k load all trucks were in tow/haul or whatever the other guys call it.

Ford tow/haul supplies engine braking and a different shifting strategy. the new torq-shift actually has 7 gears. only uses 6 at a time depending on temp and if in tow/haul or not.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The torque and drivability is so important. I'd gladly give up marginal speed differences for more durability and less trips to Mr. Fixxer

Those are the type of stats they never publish as shootouts.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fixxxer22
the converter should only lock up in overdrive. the ford that they used for the testing also had 3.55 gears. and yes, i would assume with towing a 10k load all trucks were in tow/haul or whatever the other guys call it.

Ford tow/haul supplies engine braking and a different shifting strategy. the new torq-shift actually has 7 gears. only uses 6 at a time depending on temp and if in tow/haul or not.
According to the fine print at the bottom of the specs, all trucks had 6-speeds? Articles like this IMHO suck because there's no info given for what could be real differences. I know in my experience with GM's Tow/Haul, it actually has a tendency to downshift earlier than necessary. Once I get up to cruising speed, I actually turn T/H off to prevent downshifting on overpasses.

The article makes a point of noting the different RPMs while pulling up the grade, but doesn't explain why. I would expect the 3.55s to need the downshift moreso than the 3.73s. But I can only guess there's a difference in T/H programming/logic. Or is there that big a difference in trans ratios?

Old 09-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll take the Dodge, they stay out of the shop longer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.