Notices

diesel or gas

Old 11-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm on my 5th boat and 5th tow vehicle. I don't really have any brand loyalty like a lot of truck enthusiasts.

I have a Baja 342 loaded with gen, AC. Add some fuel and I'm probably north of 12,000#. I pull with a 2000 F350 Lariat Crew cab long box DRW V10 4X4 with 99K on it. Bought the truck just to move the boat around.

99% of my towing is up and down the ramp at the marina where I keep it. No problems there. I take it about an hour to my winter storage. There were plenty of hills on my way to storage this year that I really could have used the torque of a diesel....but got a great deal on the V10 ($10K). It's just an extra vehicle to move the boat around every once in a while. If I made long trips I would prefer a diesel.

Previous experiences:
I've pulled a 23' Rinker, 29 Fountain (single) and a Baja 302 with a 2000 Ford Expedition 5.4 - Handled the Rinker with no issues. Fountain OK, but struggled with the Baja. Had the truck before boats and had in and out service at marina so I didn't tow enough to justify another truck.

Bought a 2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins. Pulled the 302 fine and could have handled more. Ended up getting a free car from my parents so I sold the Dodge and purchased a 2001 Chev 3500 DRW 8.1 gasser 6 sp manual 2WD with 120K miles just to tow occasionally. It used a lot of oil and gas, but pulled just as hard as the Cummins did. Couldn't pull it out of Lake Cumberland on a rainy day due to 2WD. Sold it as soon as I got home from that trip.

Towed a Baja 29 Outlaw with my 2009 Chrysler Aspen (Hemi). Plenty of HP and torque, but certainly knew it was back there.

Last edited by Baja_342; 11-09-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by capt2130
I have never heard of a dealer giving a warranty like that. Sounds like a great dealer to have. I know I would buy from them.
Likewise.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Plum_Crazy
I'm buying a 2007-2008 diesel over the winter. Are the 6.4L Fords any more reliable than the 6.0L or should I steer away from them? Right now, I'm leaning towards the Duramax/Allison combo. Any worries there?
For the 6.4 look at;

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/

Dmax forum;

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/index.php

I believe the Dmax is the best V8 diesel on the used truck market. It has only been improved during its lifetime, unlike the PStroke which has seen three different engines in an effort to improve reliability, now a fourth in the 2011 6.7.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gas vs diesel

Some of the new gas motors are 400+ hp and I assure you they will do the job that you described for lots less money than a diesel, and dont listen to people when they tell a v10 will pull like a diesel. it wont period... unless the diesel is older stock and broken