Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Chevy Dominates Ford in Tow Test - pickuptrucks.com >

Chevy Dominates Ford in Tow Test - pickuptrucks.com

Notices

Chevy Dominates Ford in Tow Test - pickuptrucks.com

Old 11-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ttuton
I know Allision is an American Company, I was unaware that GM had anything to do with Allison other than using them as a supplier for transmissions.
Yeah I figured you knew. I checked Wiki and decided to post that interesting information about Allison's history.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rlj676
They said Isuzu designed the engine.......?

What exactly did they say, who is this mystery supplier in Japan of the internals? Hell, give me the part numbers and I'll check for myself exactly where they come from tomorrow.
"The forged-steel crankshafts begin life at a Sumitomo plant in Japan. They arrive at the DMAX plant in this raw state and are machined, balanced, and nitrided (case hardened) onsite."
"Isuzu casts the aluminum heads in Japan, and they arrive in Ohio in this unfinished form."
"The forged-steel connecting rods also come from Japan, and they're machined at the DMAX plant."
All info from the current issue of Diesel Power.

You chevy guys sure are sensitive.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gimme a small Caterpillar or Cummins with an Allison in a Chevy Body with Ford box and rear springs.

But why bother? With the price of the new pickukps, just move up a class and have a real truck for a lot less money per power, weight, options, etc..
Old 11-16-2010, 08:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
My 03 was covered under the "extended" powertrain warranty, GM extended the warranty on injectors to 200K miles or 7 years. Original injectors were changed at 145K miles, 163K now with no issues.
My guy is taking good care of me but I wanted to keep this thing for a long time.

At this rate, I'll need another injector job right at about 200K. My warranty expires next month.

I am however, shocked by how well they made the braking system on my truck. 152k miles on original brakes and they are about 20% worn.

I'm 3/4 of the way through my second set of tires.

Unbelievable!

But those Bosh Injectors are crap and nothing will shorten the life of an engine like dumping fuel in the oil all the time...

Ok, got my tissue. I'm done complaining.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by SDFever
My guy is taking good care of me but I wanted to keep this thing for a long time.

At this rate, I'll need another injector job right at about 200K. My warranty expires next month.

I am however, shocked by how well they made the braking system on my truck. 152k miles on original brakes and they are about 20% worn.

I'm 3/4 of the way through my second set of tires.

Unbelievable!

But those Bosh Injectors are crap and nothing will shorten the life of an engine like dumping fuel in the oil all the time...

Ok, got my tissue. I'm done complaining.
Brakes are great.....got 134K out of the first set only because a wheel bearing went bad. I told my guy to change the pads rather than put it back together w/ old parts. My LTX Michelins are good for 60K a set in S. FL, that is a milestone.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ttuton
"The forged-steel crankshafts begin life at a Sumitomo plant in Japan. They arrive at the DMAX plant in this raw state and are machined, balanced, and nitrided (case hardened) onsite."
"Isuzu casts the aluminum heads in Japan, and they arrive in Ohio in this unfinished form."
"The forged-steel connecting rods also come from Japan, and they're machined at the DMAX plant."
All info from the current issue of Diesel Power.

You chevy guys sure are sensitive.
Thanks for the details. Sounds like the origin is Japan w/ quite a bit of value add done in Ohio.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Thanks for the details. Sounds like the origin is Japan w/ quite a bit of value add done in Ohio.
with truck assembled in Flint!
Old 11-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SDFever
Mine says "made in Japan" all over it... And a LOT of the AC/Delco Parts that I have bought says "made in China, Mexico, etc"... We don't seem to make much of anything here anymore except degenerate kids and degenerate politicians.

But I don't care. I think the japs make good stuff. It's not a good thing for our country I suppose but they still make good stuff. Just consider a Kubota compared to????? Night and day.

However, the Duramax is an Isuzu Engine. GM owns Allison for a while now.

I used to have a 1978 bright yellow Chevy "Luv" mini truck with an Isuzu Engine in it. It gave me fewer problems than my 2004.

Truth is: I was a fool for buying a 1st generation product with a price point that high. I tried not to but there were NO used Chevy Diesels when I purchased. I took a chance and it has not been the best decision I ever made. It's still a good truck but it will take a LOT of selling for any of the big 3 to have me get off that kinda dough again.

If you have such close ties to GM, would you be willing to find out if the injectors have in fact, been upgraded or modified?

And is there a reason why they can't or won't provide "new" injectors instead of "re-mans"? Money is usually the driver of such decisions but damn....

The GM Book pays/bills out something like 18+ hours to change 8 fuel injectors @ 120 per hour NOT INCLUDING THE PRICE OF THE INJECTORS ($235 each after core return).

Flippin' crazy.
I don't have "ties to GM", I work there.

The guy I know who works D Max stuff isn't involved in the 6.6...... I'll ask him next time we hang out though about the injectors as he'll likely know.

Parts are sourced globally, but the majority are still US based. Luckily a lot of parts are too big/heavy to ship economically so it keeps some jobs here. I am hopeful (and have reason to believe) more parts will be coming back here in the future.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:39 PM
Registered

I don't have "ties to GM", I work there.

The guy I know who works D Max stuff isn't involved in the 6.6...... I'll ask him next time we hang out though about the injectors as he'll likely know.

Parts are sourced globally, but the majority are still US based. Luckily a lot of parts are too big/heavy to ship economically so it keeps some jobs here. I am hopeful (and have reason to believe) more parts will be coming back here in the future.
Well,,,,,,, which Duramax are you talking? Every single version of it in the light trucks are all 6.6 Litre.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Registered

While you're at it, about the injectors, why don't you find out why they won't even offer a DMAX/Allison combo in the Suburban/Yukon XL? Even if you had to order the damn combo, maybe the morons at GM would finally get their heads out of their asses, and build a useful SUV! I mean as far as I know, the Presidents Fleet of Secret Service vehicles has this combo, now why can't we?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.