Notices

'99 F450 Pro's/Con's?

Old 12-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CAT - as for the cummins, I'd love to throw one in my Chevy, but I just don't have the time... too many damn projects!

Which Chevy do you have?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:50 PM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would never again own a 2WD tow vehicle. I couldn't pull out once in the rain at Lake Cumberland. Once was enough for me. Guess it depends on where you boat.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Baja_302
I would never again own a 2WD tow vehicle. I couldn't pull out once in the rain at Lake Cumberland. Once was enough for me. Guess it depends on where you boat.
I owned a Dodge 3500srw 2wd when I had my 5000lb boat/trailer. The first time I took it to the lake I couldn't get it up the ramp at Lake Lewisville until I got five guys to stand on the bumper. I bought four m&s Michelins to replace the highway tread Generals and never had any more problems with ramps. I think though that if the rig was heavier, say 10k, I would have still had difficulties.

I agree with you about having 4wd. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pat@osp... you are 100% correct in the calibration. The 450-550 trucks and e-series are de-tuned. dont know why but they are even on the 6.0 trucks and vans, the 6.4 trucks and the current 6.7. they always knock the hard workers down. i bet it is for warranty purposes. i bet they think if they turn them down they will have less problems. i have hooked to my truck many times and then re-calibrated a 550 with my trucks identity. it works great and makes the engine wake up.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for all the input... RHR, you're right, if I go look at this thing, I'm gonna own it

As for the 2wd vs 4wd, I have a 95 K3500 4x4 right now, and I have never had to use it, yet... Unfortunately I can't find a damn thing for $10-12K that is 4x4 DRW Diesel and not a total pile of crap. We to long distances regularly, so I feel like a dually is a must, and the boats I seem to drag home are certainly not getting any smaller! I am a bit worried about the traction. I've got just shy of 1000 lbs of tongue weight on level ground, so that should help some. What about one of those water bladders for the bed? I feel like throwing an extra 1000 lbs in the bed wouldn't really bother the truck much, if anything it would ride better. Just thinking out loud

Sounds like a programmer might be in order to get the power up where it should be. I have heard the E series was de-rated due to being non-intercooled, but it's strange the 450 and 550 are as well.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
Thanks for all the input... RHR, you're right, if I go look at this thing, I'm gonna own it

As for the 2wd vs 4wd, I have a 95 K3500 4x4 right now, and I have never had to use it, yet... Unfortunately I can't find a damn thing for $10-12K that is 4x4 DRW Diesel and not a total pile of crap. We to long distances regularly, so I feel like a dually is a must, and the boats I seem to drag home are certainly not getting any smaller! I am a bit worried about the traction. I've got just shy of 1000 lbs of tongue weight on level ground, so that should help some. What about one of those water bladders for the bed? I feel like throwing an extra 1000 lbs in the bed wouldn't really bother the truck much, if anything it would ride better. Just thinking out loud

Sounds like a programmer might be in order to get the power up where it should be. I have heard the E series was de-rated due to being non-intercooled, but it's strange the 450 and 550 are as well.
Go to the Ford truck forums and ask why the Class 4-5 trucks are detuned.

That truck wouldn't feel 100lbs. Bladder is a good idea, 400-500lbs I think.
Old 12-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Catmando
I owned a Dodge 3500srw 2wd when I had my 5000lb boat/trailer. The first time I took it to the lake I couldn't get it up the ramp at Lake Lewisville until I got five guys to stand on the bumper. I bought four m&s Michelins to replace the highway tread Generals and never had any more problems with ramps. I think though that if the rig was heavier, say 10k, I would have still had difficulties.

I agree with you about having 4wd. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
My tow vehicle is 2wd and runs Michelin M/S 2's too. Never spun a tire on a ramp yet and that includes the near vertical ramp at The Inn at Grand Glaise at LOTO.

One of the vehicles i've had (through employers I was contracted to) was a F-450. Rode rough but was very reliable. The guys are right about being detuned and spinning alot of rpm on the highway. I bought a cheap Hypertech programmer for it while I had it and it woke the truck up ALOT. If you put a big steel flatbed on it, it will help the ride alot.

Honestly... if you buy it, I don't think you will be disappointed at all.

Last edited by Plowtownmissile; 12-13-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a great deal and the 7.3 is a good motor. I pull my boat with a 2 wheel drive Kodiak and have never had a problem. I won't say that I have never spun the wheels on a ramp but I am pulling 17500 lbs. and always got up the ramp. Doug
Old 12-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I been towing with a 2wd dually, no problems pulling the boat out as of yet. But, I will say, i miss 4-LO range from my 4x4 truck. In 2wd, with the old TH400 3spd auto, Im in the throttle quite a bit pulling the boat out..not sure the trans and drivetrain likes it so much.

Whats wrong with the truck you have now? isnt it a 4x4 dually?
Old 12-14-2010, 08:41 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RT930turbo

You're right about finding that combination for a good price. I settled for a 2000 F350 V10 4wd Lariat crew cab, 99K miles ($10,000). The V10 suits me for 90% of my towing but really lacks the torque of a diesel. I have manual locking hubs. I use 4x4 everytime I launch because I don't ever again want to have a crowd around me watching me struggle at the ramp.

The 2wd dually was a 2001 Chev 3500 extended cab 6 speed manual with 8.1 gasser, Goodyear hwy tires on it didn't help matters. I know some prefer it, but I didn't care for the manual tranny while towing either.

Last edited by Baja_342; 12-14-2010 at 08:48 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.