Notices

Sidewall cracking on tires

Old 12-17-2010, 06:46 AM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojack
You will have good looking chunks of rubber all over the road.
my point was to use it as a preventitive measure before they actually start to crack...hahaha
Old 12-17-2010, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by moses0324
just wondering...would a tire shine like black magic help with tire cracking. plus it would look good.

it should help protect the tires a little.

NO NO NO and HELL NO!!!!!!!

Most all tire shine products have petroleum distillates in them which causes a chemical reaction with UVB and UVA from the sun. this reactions ACCELERATES the deterioration of tire rubber and strength.

One product that protects a tire because it uses the same chemical properties that are used in tire mfg process to protect agains sun damage and aging is "303"!!! It has to be reaplied in monthly intervals but it is a protectant unlike most others.

I use this on my tires, boat vinyl and all the other things it recommends on the bottle.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aquaforce

Most all tire shine products have petroleum distillates in them which causes a chemical reaction with UVB and UVA from the sun. this reactions ACCELERATES the deterioration of tire rubber and strength.

One product that protects a tire because it uses the same chemical properties that are used in tire mfg process to protect agains sun damage and aging is "303"!!! It has to be reaplied in monthly intervals but it is a protectant unlike most others.

I use this on my tires, boat vinyl and all the other things it recommends on the bottle.

+++++1

the tire shine deal is a myth.

you could also invest in those tire covers that they unse on rvs. keep the sun off of them. slow it down a little i bet
Old 12-17-2010, 09:01 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=Fixxxer22;3276766the tire shine deal is a myth.

you could also invest in those tire covers that they unse on rvs. keep the sun off of them. slow it down a little i bet[/QUOTE]

What do you mean on the myth part? Shine bad shine good?

Yes the covers help to protect and the "waxing" that takes place from the tire in motion will also be protected.
I made up some of my own covers and use them on my trailers when ever they are outside in the sun.

Last edited by aquaforce; 12-17-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:57 AM
Registered

Received 791 Likes on 373 Posts

wow i didnt know this...good info.

when I tire shine my car wheels it seems as though it keeps the rubber in good shape. even after washing the tire...
Old 12-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Registered

What do you mean on the myth part? Shine bad shine good?

Yes the covers help to protect and the "waxing" that takes place from the tire in motion will also be protected.
I made up some of my own covers and use them on my trailers when ever they are outside in the sun.
the myth: tire shine will help preserve your tires from dry rotting. like its tire lotion or something.

im agreeing with you!
Old 12-17-2010, 11:47 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

What about spray silicone? Is that good for tires?
Old 12-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Fixxxer22
the myth: tire shine will help preserve your tires from dry rotting. like its tire lotion or something.

im agreeing with you!

Ok, I follow what your saying.
Purely cosmetic and nothing good at all.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
What about spray silicone? Is that good for tires?

Silicone is used popping tires out of the mold and in other forms of mfg so it would do no harm that I am aware of. It would not offer specific protection though. The material in the 303 product has specific UV blockers for protection. The shine of 303 is not briliant and wet looking. It only makes the tire look brand new again with the same appearance of when it was mounted on the wheel.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:46 PM
Registered

I am a ase master as well as a lexus master tech, if the cracks are deep dont use the tire. Tires will always rot from the outside in due to exposure to sunlight. Light cracks are not a reason for replacement, not at 80% tread life!! Just my 2Cents. Guarantee you take them tires off and they will be like brand new on the inside!! seen this for years...!