Notices

restore trailer

Old 12-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default restore trailer

I have a triple axle skater trailer.
What should it cost to soda blast, primer and repaint trailer, along with replacing all lights with led's, replace all axle bearings and new brake shoes?
Old 12-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

I would guess you would be in the 3-4k range. A lot will depend on the what paint is used and the cost of parts.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Skater trailer

Is it a tube trailer or a c channel? The tube trailers are not worth rebuilding unless the tubes are sealed and pressurized. The salt rots them from the inside out. At least the channel type can be flushed and are rebuildable
Old 12-19-2010, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I painted my old steel C-channel trailer myself using rustoleum paint and a brush and roller. Results were suprisingly good considering the amount of money invested.

I had a local mobil sandblasting company quote me 300 bucks to strip the trailer to bare metal. Replacing brakes, bearings, lights, etc, is time consuming, but easy for the do-it-yourselfer
and doing it yourself will save you alot of money. You can do bearings, races and brake shoes for around 75 bucks per wheel in parts.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default restore trailer

Originally Posted by fossil fuel
Is it a tube trailer or a c channel? The tube trailers are not worth rebuilding unless the tubes are sealed and pressurized. The salt rots them from the inside out. At least the channel type can be flushed and are rebuildable
I believe it is considered a tube trailer. It is in pretty good condition, the rust is mainly underneath in the leaf spring areas. a few small spots of surface rust around the rest of it. This Skater trailer is for my 36 and it is fairly massive. I'm not sure about pressurized. I had glassdave restore and repaint the boat and I would like the trailer to look as good as the boat.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll see if I can get a number for you, but try Mid-Ohio Soda Blast. I have used them several years ago for some body pieces. Looks like I'm right down the road from you
Old 12-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

You might also try Farris Frame Restoration on 16... I've never actually been there, but they may be able to fix you up.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default restore trailer

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
I'll see if I can get a number for you, but try Mid-Ohio Soda Blast. I have used them several years ago for some body pieces. Looks like I'm right down the road from you
Thanks Turbo, I appreciate the help!
Old 12-31-2010, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Tube trailer

Again, The tubing rots and rusts from the inside out. This is rust that you cannot see. The water and salt enters the tubing from the open ends and gets to areas you can not flush. Some tube trailers are built with sealed ends and actually have a air fitting at the tounge to pressurize the tube. This insures no leaks! The tubing rusts and rots at a amazing rate because it is bare steel inside. Be careful spending $$ until you know that this is not the case. Merely saying "It looks OK" is not enough.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:09 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fossil fuel
Again, The tubing rots and rusts from the inside out. This is rust that you cannot see. The water and salt enters the tubing from the open ends and gets to areas you can not flush. Some tube trailers are built with sealed ends and actually have a air fitting at the tounge to pressurize the tube. This insures no leaks! The tubing rusts and rots at a amazing rate because it is bare steel inside. Be careful spending $$ until you know that this is not the case. Merely saying "It looks OK" is not enough.
I just purchased a 353 fastech with an Eagle tube trailer. I was thinking of selling it since I will be using it in salt. Do you have any experience with sealing the tubes? I saw some drain holes that would be easy to tap and plug, but what about lights and tubing cutouts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.