Notices

surge vs. e.o.h. brakes??

Old 12-19-2010, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brake-Rite. A great system all plug and play. If you put something on the brake peddle it will hold thttp://www.trailerpart.com/brakerite.htmhe trailer also.
The SD system it the best!
Old 12-19-2010, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 218 Likes on 113 Posts

did mine,best money spent,
I stayed with the drum brakes and went with the brakerite actuator,Im sure disks would be better but the drum set up works great,
Attached Thumbnails surge vs. e.o.h. brakes??-storage-023.jpg   surge vs. e.o.h. brakes??-storage-024.jpg  
Old 12-19-2010, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

So how much does it cost to convert surge to eoh?
Old 12-19-2010, 09:01 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with the Brake Rite unit. So far it has been great. I also went with the MaxBrake controller. More costly than a standard controller, but for a reason. BTW, not all standard electric controllers will work. Basically the cheaper $50 ones won't. I had a 2000 250, it was prewired for electric trailers, as yours does since you have the 7pin plug) but Ford didn't actually plug in the relay and fuse in the fuse box in engine compartment. Instead, they were in a bag in the glovebox, along with a pigtail to plug the controller into the wire harness. Otherwise, the truck is factory wired up to the back.

Another benefit is your trailer won't push your truck on wet pavements do to lack of traction at the rear wheels.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:50 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,210 Likes on 524 Posts

Remember that Surge brakes only work when the truck and trailer are in a straight line. If your truck/trailer are angled, the trailer will push the back end of the truck around into a jackknife.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,210 Likes on 524 Posts

You will probably have $1000 invested including a Brake Rite actuator and break away kit; and a Max Brake controller.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:54 AM
Registered

I am curious. My trailer has both! How many trailers are manufactured with surge and electric together? I personally like the idea of having surge brakes as well to backup the electric.

I would also think that for safety reasons if you only have electric that if the trailer lost power it would cause the brakes to be applied. Is this the case?
Old 12-20-2010, 06:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by pachanga
I am curious. My trailer has both! How many trailers are manufactured with surge and electric together? I personally like the idea of having surge brakes as well to backup the electric.

I would also think that for safety reasons if you only have electric that if the trailer lost power it would cause the brakes to be applied. Is this the case?
How could it have both??
Are you talking about the reverse lock out solenoid?
Old 12-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by boatnt
How could it have both??
Are you talking about the reverse lock out solenoid?
My trailer has surge and electric! It also has the lockout solenoid. You will not backup my trailer without power unless you place a 2X4 in the coupling to isolate the surge system. Yes I can use the brake controller in my F250 to apply the trailer brakes.

This is why I asked my question! I have no doubt I have both!
Old 12-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by pachanga
My trailer has surge and electric! It also has the lockout solenoid. You will not backup my trailer without power unless you place a 2X4 in the coupling to isolate the surge system. Yes I can use the brake controller in my F250 to apply the trailer brakes.

This is why I asked my question! I have no doubt I have both!
you got any pictures?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.